FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airport Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges-763/)
-   -   Non Airport Lounges To Be Removed From Priority Pass [PP issued to Amex cardholders] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges/1977767-non-airport-lounges-removed-priority-pass-pp-issued-amex-cardholders.html)

northsideguy Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Non Airport Lounges To Be Removed From Priority Pass [PP issued to Amex cardholders]

I just received an email as of 1August 2019, non lounge airport experiences will be removed from Priority Pass. Non-lounge airport experiences are not traditional airport lounges. These experiences include but are not limited to restaurants, bars and cafes that provide a credit toward your food and beverage bill.

Here is link in email.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/programchange

mathprof Jul 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Is your Priority Pass membership from an Amex card? That was announced earlier. If not, it is bad news for Chase and Citibank premium card holders.

LegalTender Jul 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by northsideguy (Post 31294763)
I just received an email as of 1August 2019, non lounge airport experiences will be removed from Priority Pass.

Priority Pass Select only.

"Effective August 1 the Priority Pass Membership benefit offered on American Express Platinum and Centurion Cards and Hilton Ascend, Hilton Aspire, and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ Cards will no longer include complimentary access to non-lounge airport experiences."

dhuey Jul 11, 2019 9:24 pm

We’ve discussed this quite a bit in an Amex forum thread. It looks like the PP card issued via Chase Sapphire Reserve will still work for the restaurant credits. I sense a mess ahead, with lots of angry Amex cardholders surprised to see they get no PP credit.

LegalTender Jul 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by mathprof (Post 31294882)
Is your Priority Pass membership from an Amex card? That was announced earlier. If not, it is bad news for Chase and Citibank premium card holders.

How does the average cashier or bartender determine which bank sponsored the PP membership? QR codes are easily screencapped and stored. A period of commotion and turndowns would not be surprising.

paperwastage Jul 12, 2019 3:27 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 31295057)
How does the average cashier or bartender determine which bank sponsored the PP membership? QR codes are easily screencapped and stored. A period of commotion and turndowns would not be surprising.

Good scenario:
Guest: enters restaurant, "I'm using priority pass"
Host: is this via amex? We do not accept pp via amex. (Or a sign on table saying this,or tries to swipe PP card and card declined )
Guest: oh really? Exits

Bad:
Guest: enters restaurant, sits down and order, eats food
Guest: pays with PP card
Host/server: swipes PP, card declined
Guest: forced to pay with cash/cc, tips badly
Host/server: wishes they were in the good scenario

LegalTender Jul 12, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 31295588)
Good scenario:
Guest: enters restaurant, "I'm using priority pass"
Host: is this via amex? We do not accept pp via amex. (Or a sign on table saying this,or tries to swipe PP card and card declined )
Guest: oh really? Exits

Bad:
Guest: enters restaurant, sits down and order, eats food
Host/server: swipes PP, card declined
Guest: forced to pay with cash/cc, tips badly
Host/server: wishes they were in the good scenario

Worse:
Guest: enters restaurant, sits down and orders, eats food
Host/server: we don't accept PP after August 1
Guest: but this is a Chase Sapphire Reserve card
Host/server: we don't have a confirmed update/fix and can't honor any PP card

I doubt there's room - much less any incentive - to post "We do not accept pp via amex" on their tables.

mia Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am

This discussion has been running since late May:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...st-2019-a.html

Originally Posted by Priority Pass FAQ
What will happen if I visit a location that has been removed from my Priority Pass program?

The location staff will advise you that your Priority Pass membership card has been declined. If you have ordered and consumed food or drink, you will need to pay for it directly onsite. Please confirm the location is available to you before ordering by logging in to your online Priority Pass account and using the Lounge and more search facility.

A well managed restaurant will process the Priority Pass credentials before sending the order to the kitchen. The others will become frustrated and leave the program.

nmpls Jul 13, 2019 1:52 am

It has been a bit since I read the rules, but I am 90% sure PP requires you show restaurants your card for them to run it for validity before you sit down. If people follow that practice, you should avoid any unexpected surprises.

Duke787 Jul 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Need to make sure I have my CSR PP in my wallet and not my AMEX Plat PP

Also MODS -- should update this thread title to reflect the change is AMEX PP only

silverforumsurf Jul 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31300205)
Need to make sure I have my CSR PP in my wallet and not my AMEX Plat PP

Also MODS -- should update this thread title to reflect the change is AMEX PP only

what’s the best way to differentiate? i think the first few numbers let you tell right?

econ Jul 14, 2019 12:25 am

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf (Post 31301157)

what’s the best way to differentiate? i think the first few numbers let you tell right?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31146289-post15.html

mia Jul 14, 2019 8:13 am

American Express shows your Priority Pass membership number in your online account.

1. Login to americanexpress.com
  2. Choose the card which includes Priority Pass
  3. Click: More > Benefits > The American Express Global Lounge Collection
  4. Read: Enrolled in Priority Pass™ Select Membership Number: 142nnnnnnn