Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question about Airports in Washington DC

Dumb Question about Airports in Washington DC

Old Jun 22, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Talking Dumb Question about Airports in Washington DC

Hi all,

I know this is a dumb question, but for the same price, is it worth going to IAD instead of DCA from DC just to use the Turkish lounge? Here's the story. My parents and I will be flying out from DC in October (as part of our trip). I have a Priority Pass with Amex Hilton. We have an evening flight and I was going to use PP at a restaurant in DCA for dinner. I know DCA is way closer and more convenient than IAD. However, I just learned that starting August, PP with Amex Hilton will no longer be allowed in restaurants. There's a IAD bus service by our hotel that costs us the same as a taxi ride to DCA. Turkish lounge has great reviews and food selection seems very nice that'll save our group of 3 some $$$ on dinner. So... what would you choose in this situation?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
what time would your flight from IAD be? There are many occasions where Priority Pass admission is not allowed at the Turkish lounge due to capacity constraints... I find the mid to late afternoon particularly bad for Priority Pass as I have been denied admission on several occasions (all with 5 PM or 5:30 PM flight departure times). You may have better luck if you have a later flight, so just something to factor in your decision making.
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
They have an AA Lounge at DCA
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up! I read about ppl being denied in Turkish lounge. Our flight is 7:10pm on a Saturday so I donít think itíd be as crowded.... but one never knows...

And I unfortunately donít have access to AA lounge.
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, it is not worth it.

1. Bus instead of Uber.
2. Lengthy trip to IAD.
3. Lengthy security check point lines unless you have Pre-Check.
4. Hassle to get from curbside to gate at IAD.

All for what?

At DCA, just arrive in time to deal with luggage and checkpoint and head to the gate. No lounge needed.
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If Iím starting in the District, I would not choose Dulles over National under any circumstances. You can almost walk to National from the District. Dulles is 45 minutes or more, and you can spend lots of time just working your way through Dulles.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I did the Turkish club a couple of years ago with a 5:00 flight, arrving around 2:30 (3PM priority pass cutoff). Lounge became really crowded the last hour I was there - honestly, they're right in limiting PP that way. Not worth IAD just for that at all​​​. It is worth getting there early to beat the deadline, though not really for a 7:00 flight (which they may find a way to deny anyway).
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
In a word: no. Absolutely not.

DCA is better than IAD in so many ways, as already described in this thread.

On top of all that, depending on what airline you are flying the lounge may be nowhere near your gate.

The hassle you would put yourself through is nowhere near worth the $30 or $40 you will pay for dinner and drinks at DCA...
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
On Sunday at 3:45pm the TK lounge was closed to priority pass and had a sign up that it would open at 4:15 to those card holders.

Its a nice lounge but the food isnít like out of this world. I actually didnít eat anything because it was so average and with the crowd it was hard to actually get to the buffet. The EWR UA Polaris lounge was significantly better and Iíve found recently at IAD that I like the food in the LH lounge more than the TK one.

FWIW I was 20 mins from the parking garage to the TK lounge. All that being said I would agree that youíre better off with a nice dinner and DCA.
kokonutz likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver, AA PlatPro
Agree. If you are in the District, IAD definitely does not make sense if you can fly out of either place. IAD only makes sense if leaving from the NOVA suburbs further west (or traveling international). The Turkish lounge is okay, but I would not pick IAD over DCA on account of it. (I also agree that the LH lounge is better. In fact, most of the A/B lounges are better than TK, they just aren't PP or are only open to PP earlier in the day when they scale back the food and bev.)

Search this Thread