Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

3-hour lounge passes for long layovers: possible to use for 3 hours after landing?

3-hour lounge passes for long layovers: possible to use for 3 hours after landing?

Old Jun 22, 19, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I'm new to the world of airport lounges so I hope you'll forgive a beginner's question. I was looking into lounge options at Gatwick South Terminal, where I'll have an 8-hour layover with a flight arriving at 9am and leaving again at 5pm. I see there are three-hour passes available for a reasonable price. What I don't get is why the pass doesn't allow you to access the lounge until three hours before the actual flight time. This effectively turns this into a 1 to 1.5 hour pass at the very most to allow time to pass security and get to the gate. What's the point of this? I'm surprised it's not 3 hours prior to boarding time at the very least, even though that still neglects the time needed to go through security and arrive at the gate. I see that I can tack on extra hours for a fee, which I don't mind doing. But if I pay for three hours I want three hours, not one. Anyone have any advice or suggestions for how to actually get what I pay for? For instance, is there any way to use the pass three hours after arrival and not prior to departure?
Old Jun 25, 19, 10:37 pm

Same question to ask as I will also have a long layover in HKG next month. Not sure whether I can spend more than 3 hours in the lounge...
Old Jun 25, 19, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
For the Gatwick paid lounges, they are all post-security so there's no need to fret about the time that it takes to clear security. Additionally, from looking at their website, booking the No1 lounge at Gatwick South doesn't ask for flight details. So why not tell the website that your departure time is 30-45 minutes earlier than it is (call it the "boarding time"). Then the three hours starts from the "boarding time" not the departure time. As long as you leave the lounge 3 hours after you enter, I don't think they really care about when your flight actually is...or at least that is my experience with paid lounges at other airports.
Old Jun 27, 19, 1:28 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by croberts134 View Post
..... As long as you leave the lounge 3 hours after you enter, I don't think they really care about when your flight actually is..
It appears some lounges have started using "hours before departure" as a mechanism for tracking compliance with "maximum stay" rules. If you cannot enter until N hours before departure, you cannot overstay the limit, unless your flight is delayed.

Search this Thread