Reload this Page >

Underage Drinking @ Delta Sky Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Underage Drinking @ Delta Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dhuey

Thanks. That way OP gets what he wants, nobody at Delta gets in trouble, and the lounge’s liquor license is safe.
I don't think the OP mentioned which airport he was thinking of doing this, but in many states it's a crime to carry outside alcohol into a licensed premise, and also an offense for the establishment to have allowed it to happen. The law in Texas is that no outside drink can legally be brought into a mixed beverage licensed premise, so this plan may very well put the lounge's license at risk.

I've lost count of how many times I or a member of my staff have had to tell people they can't bring in their, ie., water bottle, can of soda, or coffee. You might claim it's only water, but for all we know it could be vodka.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I don't think the OP mentioned which airport he was thinking of doing this, but in many states it's a crime to carry outside alcohol into a licensed premise, and also an offense for the establishment to have allowed it to happen. The law in Texas is that no outside drink can legally be brought into a mixed beverage licensed premise, so this plan may very well put the lounge's license at risk.
Allow it to happen? Are lounge agents supposed to search passengers’ bags prior to entry? Watch to see if guests slyly spike some Sprite?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire

Allow it to happen? Are lounge agents supposed to search passengers’ bags prior to entry? Watch to see if guests slyly spike some Sprite?
There is a slim to none chance a liquor enforcement agent would go into the club and confront the underage OP, in possession of an alcoholic drink. Still, if it did occur, that's going to be a violation for OP and the club.

No, I'm not suggesting lounge employees should be searching guests, just pointing out the legal aspect of the situation.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
There is a slim to none chance a liquor enforcement agent would go into the club and confront the underage OP, in possession of an alcoholic drink. Still, if it did occur, that's going to be a violation for OP and the club.

No, I'm not suggesting lounge employees should be searching guests, just pointing out the legal aspect of the situation.
Legal situation? In what jurisdiction would it be a violation for a lounge if the OP sneaks in a one-once liquor bottle, discretely dumps it in a soda, and takes a sip? I’d be curious to read the regs for such a jurisdiction.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:47 pm

Legal situation? In what jurisdiction would it be a violation for a lounge if the OP sneaks in a one-once liquor bottle, discretely dumps it in a soda, and takes a sip? I’d be curious to read the regs for such a jurisdiction.
We agree an airport lounge in the US is a licensed premise, for the purposes of serving alcohol, yes? Subject to the same laws as any other establishment serving alcohol to the public? You're the attorney, so I'll defer to your expertise, Legally I can allow minors in to one of my licensed establishments, but choose not to because of the liability issues. If I did allow a minor in, who had sneaked in booze, and a liquor enforcement agent showed up and found him, I virtually guarantee the minor would be fined/arrested for underage possession, and my bartender would be for "allowing" a minor to drink on the premises. Yes, I know we didn't really allow it, but in Texas anyway, I doubt any TABC agent is going to believe the story that the kid must have sneaked in the booze, instead of that you served it to him illegally.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:12 am

The Washington State liquor control board is ridiculous. All patrons are required to have proof of age on them when ordering a drink in a bar. Even a 71 year old like me.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:26 am

There are probably thousands of different laws and regulations regarding alcohol in USA jurisdictions. I don’t have expertise in even one of them. Still, I am deeply skeptical that an airport lounge’s liquor license would be put in jeopardy if a 20-year-old were to sneak in a little booze and drink it. How could anyone expect a lounge to prevent that from happening?

And really, what’s the big deal if it were to happen? Are the yutes gonna head to the Delta Sky Club for their underage drinking parties?
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:08 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Rules are rules. They apply to you.

Grow up & realize that rules apply to
you too.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Please let us know how this turns out...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by SCToni
Grow up & realize that rules apply to
you too.
Did you ever drink before it was legal for you to do so?
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
At dinner with my kids some years ago. Both kids over 21 and were carded. Ok - that makes sense; they were in their 20's. Then the waitress insisted on carding me! I am their mother; how could I be younger than they are? Some state laws are ridiculous and some businesses allow their employees no discretion whatsoever. My gray haired husband drank soda instead of beer as a protest.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:07 am

I think it is location-dependent as well. A few years back, I was living in Boston and I was regularly carded there while being in my late 20s. Including at Logan (although just at the bars there, didn't have lounge access at the time).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lipsum
I think it is location-dependent as well. A few years back, I was living in Boston and I was regularly carded there while being in my late 20s. Including at Logan (although just at the bars there, didn't have lounge access at the time).
I was ID'd a fair amount in my early 20s on-board whenever I ordered alcohol. In fairness I was a 23-25 year old consultant who was riding in F due to 1K (and later EXP when I switched to AA) so I can understand some FAs questioning -- though it always confused my why age wasn't flagged on the manifest. Perhaps know that they are equipped with phones, the FAs receive a flag on those who are 18-20 traveling in any cabin so they can be aware and ask for ID proactively if someone tries to press their luck.

AFAIK, I never asked to be served while underage (didn't think I could get away with it / it was worth the risk) -- though I can't recall 100% if I asked for anything flying JFK - LHR on BA PE as a then 20 year old heading for study abroad but I was 21 by the time I came home so it was irrelevant.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
You will more than likely get carded because, state laws usually require the licensee to confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that they are serving someone over the age of 21. Failing to do so results in a fine or suspension of a liquor license as someone mentioned above about the Red Carpet Club. I'd also assume its likely you'll be carded as most large corporations that serve or sell alcohol have a policy in place to check IDs for anyone looking under a certain age, I've seen it as high as 50 in some cases. One could assume the larger the company the more strict their ID policy will be as the larger company has more to loose.

I think most people in general forget that every state has a state ABC with officers whose entire job is to look for ABC violations, and trust me they make the rounds, airline clubs and all. There are thousands of complex and head scratching laws that are out there regarding the sale or service of alcohol especially since most sates wrote their laws at the end of prohibition.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA S, US Plat, *A G, Delta Plat, SPG G
The problem here is not yours

Originally Posted by freeagent
... I think most people in general forget that every state has a state ABC with officers whose entire job is to look for ABC violations, and trust me they make the rounds, airline clubs and all. There are thousands of complex and head scratching laws that are out there regarding the sale or service of alcohol especially since most sates wrote their laws at the end of prohibition.
As a licencee I can assure all readers that the US alcohol (and cigarette selling) laws are at best crazy. The most likely "breacher" of the underage laws in this case will be a "plant" (they call them testers) from the local ABC. But, that is why we have to be more than careful, and the poster should not offend against this owner/licencee (who may not be Delta anyway)
Interestingly as a 20 year old you do have the right to plead the fifth (as mentioned above) but the vast majority of stately State and Municipal Legislatures have determined many of your other rights don't apply to you until after the age of 21. But that is simply because you are deemed incompetent; unless you commit a crime of course, because then you will be deemed competent, despite their earlier prejudice.
Good luck, but under 21; drink at home.
(And, feel free to help change the laws when you become a stately voter/representative too.)
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.