Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

PF Chang's at LAX question

Old May 6, 19, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, it says that the PF Chang's in TBIT was for international flight PP cardholders only (in the PP card app). And I search the forum found out there was no clue that does they care about this or not. Some people were saying that they check boarding passes and PP card... are they just validating if you are a passenger or they do check your destination?
Old May 6, 19, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by RF001 View Post
Hey guys, it says that the PF Chang's in TBIT was for international flight PP cardholders only (in the PP card app). And I search the forum found out there was no clue that does they care about this or not. Some people were saying that they check boarding passes and PP card... are they just validating if you are a passenger or they do check your destination?
While they definitely check for PP card and BP, I've had no problem using the restaurant on purely domestic itineraries.
Old May 6, 19, 8:46 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by RF001 View Post
....for international flight PP cardholders only (in the PP card app)....
This information is in the "Location" field, rather than the "Conditions" field. I think it's just meant to help us understand where the restaurant is located.
Old May 6, 19, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replying, it's helpful, will find out tomorrow evening.
Old May 6, 19, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
This information is in the "Location" field, rather than the "Conditions" field. I think it's just meant to help us understand where the restaurant is located.
I see, maybe they put 'international only' there was because in some airports international and domestic terminals were separated and you are not able to go from one to another. To avoid misunderstandings they just tell you in advanced on the app.
Old May 7, 19, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Similar situation with the Air France lounge at SFO. PP has used various language about how it’s only for use with flights departing from International Terminal-A, but everyone seems to be able to use it with a PP card regardless of which terminal you’re departing from. (Note that the hours restrictions for the AF lounge are real, though.)
Old May 13, 19, 12:21 pm

My husband an I had a terrible experience last April in PF CHANGS LAX, using PP, we were intimidated by the staff to leave a tip, and then we realize that they charged in my husband´s PP card two additional guest, (I have my own card).
Our bank reversed the charge, but we are still waiting for the PP response.

Be carefull with this place.
Old May 13, 19, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by olguita View Post
My husband an I had a terrible experience last April in PF CHANGS LAX, using PP, we were intimidated by the staff to leave a tip, and then we realize that they charged in my husband´s PP card two additional guest, (I have my own card).

This is completely a non-issue for anybody who has used Priority Pass at a restaurant. They always want a tip in the US.
You have to clarify what you mean by "two additional guests"-how many of you were there? Did you swipe your card, or did your husband just swipe his?
What do you mean your bank "reversed" the charge? You mean the tip?
Old May 13, 19, 1:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
You have to clarify what you mean by "two additional guests"-how many of you were there? Did you swipe your card, or did your husband just swipe his?
What do you mean your bank "reversed" the charge?....
When we visit a Priority Pass lounge or restaurant they record the Visit -and- the number of Guests (additional people). If they report fictitious Guests they will receive a higher payment from Priority Pass, and these costs may be passed through to the member, depending on the contract. It sounds as if the sponsoring bank waived the Guests fees.
Old May 13, 19, 1:49 pm

When we visit a Priority Pass lounge or restaurant they record the Visit -and- the number of Guests (additional people). If they report fictitious Guests they will receive a higher payment from Priority Pass, and these costs may be passed through to the member, depending on the contract. It sounds as if the sponsoring bank waived the Guests fees.
How does the 'bank' waive the fees? The bank does not run priority pass.
In terms of guests most people here on FT could care less, given they do not pay fees.
Old May 13, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold

I don't feel it's intimidation - I've had servers who weren't very proactive about it and I've asked to make sure they bring me a tab with my credit card so I can leave a decent tip.
As to the extra guest issue - they swipe and print out the receipt. You should be able to discern how many people are being charged and if it's over your allocation as to free passes.
Old May 13, 19, 2:12 pm

This is completely a non-issue for anybody who has used Priority Pass at a restaurant. They always want a tip in the US.
What do you mean your bank "reversed" the charge? You mean the tip?
I tip when I recive a good service, and it is not mandatory, any way the point is not the tip, the point for me was the incorrect charge, my husband and I both have PP with American Express (this card is only for the card holder, any additional guest must be paid), so I swiped my card, and my husband swiped his card, but in his card they charged two guests apart from the card holder, so charged on the credit card 64usd for two aditional guest. .

My husband complaint about this charge with his bank, the bank made an investigation about the charge and they agree there was something wrong, and did not charge the 64 usd
Old May 13, 19, 2:16 pm

that was exactly what happened.
Old May 13, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

By your language “we were intimidated by the staff to leave a tip” I venture to guess you’re not US residents and from a place where tipping isn’t customary. As restaurants don’t pay servers proper wages unlike in other countries like Australia, it’s generally standard to add a 20% tip. That’s the sad reality and servers in locations where there are many non-Americans are in the uncomfortable position to have to iterate that to guests.

For the two times I’ve used PP at a restaurant, including the LAX PF Chang’s, the servers predictably actively informed me that PP doesn’t cover tips. Some might call that intimidation, but I just think they’re ensuring they get acceptable income for that day.

For the charging of two additional guests, not sure what you mean by that. PF Chang’s and most restaurants charge only for food and drink orders, not per guest (sometimes they’ll add a surcharge for large groups but that doesn’t seem the case for you). Did they place erroneous food or drink orders for the non-existent guests on your bill? Whatever the case it sounds like an error.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Last edited by Oakshadow; May 13, 19 at 2:37 pm
Old May 13, 19, 2:43 pm
mia

How does the 'bank' waive the fees? ....
If you have a credit card which includes Priority Pass with no charge for some number of guests, this does not mean that the lounge or restaurant is not compensated. It means that Priority Pass or the sponsoring credit card absorbs the Guest fees.

In this example the card issuer removed the Guest fees from olguita's husband's credit card account. The issuer may have absorbed this cost, or it may have disputed the accuracy of the Guest charges with Priority Pass. I doubt the consumer has a way to know.

Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
PF Chang’s and most restaurants charge only for food and drink orders, not per guest ....
When you use Priority Pass, the restaurant reports a Visit + Guests the same as a lounge. They receive a flat amount person from Priority Pass, and they deduct a flat amount per person from the bill. In this example the restaurant apparently reported more Guests than were served.

Search this Thread