Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Access to Delta Sky Club / Centurion Lounges with Amex Platinum

Old Apr 27, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

We are looking at upgrading to the UK Platinum Preferred Rewards card when our Gold card comes up for renewal and Iím unsure regarding the policy for these two lounges:

- Delta Sky Club: I will be the main cardholder for the Platinum card, and my partner will have the supplementary card included in the annual fee. Is Deltaís policy to admit just the main cardholder (i.e. the account holder - myself) or would the supplementary cardholder (also Platinum) also get access for free? As we have three children, we were hoping to admit two with my card, and one with my partnerís. Is this possible? (I know there is a $20 something dollar fee per guest). I canít find anything concrete on Delta or Amexís website and this could be a deciding factor in whether we get the card or not so I would be grateful if someone could clarify!

We are specifically looking at visiting one of the Atlanta Sky Clubs during a long layover time we have there - are they good lounges (we are used to the U.K./ London lounges and I have heard generally that North American lounges arenít as good)?

- Centurion Lounge: Iím assuming from wording online that only I, the account holder, would have access (plus two guests I can admit) - so in other words, I wouldnít be able to bring my whole family in with my partnerís supplementary card if we travel together?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Old Apr 27, 19, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Iím not sure if the rules are different for UK Plats, but in the USA, only an Amex Plat cardholder has access to Delta Sky Lounges (which I think are usually quite nice) - no free guests. I think if your supplemental card is also a Plat (not a free Gold, like I got for my daughters), that person is also considered a Plat cardholder.

So, unless the UK thing is different, only you and your partner have Delta access, but you can get your whole family into the Centurion Lounges with your two cards.
Old Apr 27, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Iím not sure if the rules are different for UK Plats, but in the USA, only an Amex Plat cardholder has access to Delta Sky Lounges (which I think are usually quite nice) - no free guests. I think if your supplemental card is also a Plat (not a free Gold, like I got for my daughters), that person is also considered a Plat cardholder.

So, unless the UK thing is different, only you and your partner have Delta access, but you can get your whole family into the Centurion Lounges with your two cards.
Thanks for your response! Yes, in the UK, you get a Platinum for the main cardholder, and then a supplementary Platinum, and then two Gold cards included in the annual fee. I figured it’s a bit different to the American package. The Delta Sky Club website says you can admit two guests per card for an extra fee so I’m hoping this will get my whole family in?

Also, I know you need to be travelling on a Delta marketed or run flight for access - we have booked an indirect flight from LHR to JAX via ATL - the international leg is run by Virgin but the domestic US leg is run by Delta, will this get us in (as the whole flight may be classed as Virgin Atlantic)?

Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 27, 19, 4:36 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The access rules for Centurion lounges are American Express rules. The access rules for Skyclub lounges are Delta rules, even when using a American Express cards as the admission credentials. The Delta rules are here:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

Scroll down to find the relevant section. The Virgin flights do not appear to qualify , but the connecting flights to Jacksonville do qualify. You will need to pay to admit anyone who does not hold a Platinum card,
Attached Images  

Search this Thread