Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Tipping and Priority Pass restaurants

Old Apr 24, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)

I started to post this in a different thread, then decided I didn't want to derail that conversation.

Putting aside the "should I tip" debate, for those of us who want to, something I wish PP would do is allow us to tip with either the leftover credit, or to tip in the app and have it deducted from our membership account. The former I don't see happening since that opens up avenues of fraud, and affects the PP valuation. But the latter would be useful IMO because I am mostly cashless in my day-to-day and as a result I don't usually have "tipping cash" (i.e. bills less than $20). I have no doubt the waitstaff will give me change, but it's just one more thing to deal with.

It would also eliminate the begging/lecturing I've experienced - at RJ Rockers in GSP the waitress told me multiple times when I sat down that PP doesn't include gratuity, and again when dropping off my check, and again at the register when I went up to pay. And one blogger at least reported that the restaurant in LAX T2 dropped PP because of waitstaff complaints.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:41 pm

I myself don't have too big of an issue with the current system. I, as well as almost everyone else, just ask the staff to charge me for the cheapest thing they possibly can then I can tip using a credit card. As far as the waitstaff lecturing, I don't blame them. I'm sure they get no tip quite often.
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by mendezka View Post
... just ask the staff to charge me for the cheapest thing they possibly can then I can tip using a credit card.
You shouldn't even have to buy anything additional or go over $28, just say I'd like to leave a tip of X on my CC. Believe me, they will charge it.
mendezka likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
If you want to tip they will run a CC transaction for 1 cent and then you can add tip to it. I have used this way multiple times to pay a tip...
OskiBear likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways View Post
If you want to tip they will run a CC transaction for 1 cent and then you can add tip to it. I have used this way multiple times to pay a tip...
Absolutely. I did this a month ago and the waiter knew exactly why I was asking to be charged a penny, smiled, and it was a great way to end the experience.

Search this Thread