Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

How does Priority Pass stay profitable?

How does Priority Pass stay profitable?

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I am a gold mine for Priority Pass. I have three different cards with PP memberships, and one that gives limited visits. But one of the cards is an AMEX Plat, which gives me Delta lounge access and Centurion lounge access. When possible, I use those in preference to PP. and with the airline banking strategy of having short layovers, I find I seldom have time to go to any lounge on a domestic flight (which is most of my travel). I’m flying to Alaska in a few days and unless there is severe weather or a service interruption, I won’t be visiting any lounges. Counting up for 2018, I believe I visited three actual PP lounges (all overseas) and ate a meal on PP in three restaurants (all domestic US). So about two visits per full membership. Like most everyone here, I’m not typical, but I think there are a fair number of travelers like me.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I’ll bet there are a few road warriors out there who take PP to the cleaners — maybe >$10,000 per year.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Mike B
I am a gold mine for Priority Pass. I have three different cards with PP memberships, and one that gives limited visits. But one of the cards is an AMEX Plat, which gives me Delta lounge access and Centurion lounge access. When possible, I use those in preference to PP. and with the airline banking strategy of having short layovers, I find I seldom have time to go to any lounge on a domestic flight (which is most of my travel). I’m flying to Alaska in a few days and unless there is severe weather or a service interruption, I won’t be visiting any lounges. Counting up for 2018, I believe I visited three actual PP lounges (all overseas) and ate a meal on PP in three restaurants (all domestic US). So about two visits per full membership. Like most everyone here, I’m not typical, but I think there are a fair number of travelers like me.
I have Priority Pass through Chase Sapphire Reserve, which allows unlimited visits with two guests (depending on the lounge). I don't travel too often, but generally make 3 or 4 international trips per year, and possibly a couple domestic US.

Towards the end of 2018, I flew from my home in the Northeast US to India, then to China, then back home. I was gone about 2.5 weeks. IIRC, I visited 9 Priority Pass lounges on that single trip. There was another lounge that I visited at an airport in India that I had to decide whether to enter it with my PP card or with the lounge pass I received with my Air India business class domestic ticket. (I used my business class ticket pass, so I am not counting that one in my total here.)

Two times I walked from one lounge to the next at the same airport, and once I had a guest. So I cost PP 10 visits in a couple weeks' time. However, I don't do that more than a few times a year, so I'm probably still low compared to some of the road warriors out there.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dhuey
I’ll bet there are a few road warriors out there who take PP to the cleaners — maybe >$10,000 per year.
I doubt it. IT would mean at least 250 lounge visits. Who is so much at Airports normally has status.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
....normally has status.
The history of airline operated lounges is different in the USA than in Europe. US airline lounges are membership clubs, anyone can join. Status with most USA-based airlines does not include lounge access for domestic flights, airlines do not have lounges at every airport served, and some airlines operate no lounges.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I doubt it. IT would mean at least 250 lounge visits. Who is so much at Airports normally has status.
Last I checked, in the USA, status alone doesn't get you lounge memberships. I'm thinking of a domestic road warrior, often flying on Southwest or multiple legacies in coach. This person might be eating a high percentage of meals at airports that have the $28 or so PP credit. Some days that could be 3x.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

You see, I´m European
Nevertheless it means 357 meals to get 10000 $. Doable but I still think it will be not many people. Much more don´t use it frequently so they can compensate
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:17 pm
mia

....357 meals to get 10000 $....
Remember, the benefit also applies to guests.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mia
Remember, the benefit also applies to guests.
Not with every PP. I for excample pay if I take someone with me in the lounge.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I think the best new benefit is the $28.00 or so credit at different restaurants in various airports. That along with using different PP Cards, you could make bank.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by dhuey
I was connecting in SFO last week and went to a restaurant to get food to go as we were flying in Y. In that restaurant, I noticed a pilot who was doing as I was. The light bulb went off in my head and I thought about how heavily flight crew could utilize the restaurant option. No restriction on PP usage by flight crew to my knowledge, and a terrific value for relatively small money.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:48 am

I got a free a Priority Pass along with my Visa Infinite credit card, which I only got because it gave me a free Global Access card. I don't have sufficiently premium access to any airline's lounge and I haven't been interested in buying access. The PP freebie is limited - five times in a year - but since I rarely spend enough time in an airport to use a lounge, I figured that should take care of me. But looking over the list of supported lounges, there are few in the airports that I most use at all, and fewer where I might have a connection long enough to find and visit a lounge. There's an Alaska one at LAX but PP there is only good there in the morning, but with LAX, either I've just gotten off a flight and I'm heading off to my destination, or I've arrived a short time before boarding. And at DCA, one of my "home" airports, when I get home, I want to go home. My most frequent changes are at DFW, DAL, or MCI, and those have pretty slim pickings for PP-offered lounges or restaurants.

Is this a new program that I can expect to grow? Or, the next time I have an early afternoon flight out of DCA, should I plan to have lunch at the (seems to be) pretty civilized restaurant where I can use the PP card?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:04 am
mia

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers

Is this a new program that I can expect to grow?
Priority Pass is not new., but the restaurant option is. Priority Pass is in the business of monetizing surplus lounge capacity. Consolidation of the USA-based legacy airlines means that AA, DL and UA no longer have surplus capacity, hence no acceptance of Priority Pass. AS still nominally accepts Priority Pass at most lounges, but the hours are restricted and they turn away Priority Pass when they expect to be full.

This means that most domestic lounges which accept Priority Pass are contract lounges which exist to serve foreign flag carriers that often operate only a few flights per day from a USA airport. At other times of the day they are happy to accept Priority Pass.

Last edited by mia; Apr 30, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ezak
And this's definitely great to us users. Honestly, with abysmal food offering at most US lounges, I'd rather have a real meal at restaurants. Of course, I don't usually fly high-delay airports, so I could be biased here. Just wish the restaurant deals are sustainable given the high fee paid, so that we can continue to have these options (or even more added).
But how many of you road warriors can expense a restaurant meal vs expense a lounge? Denver restaurant is nice enough, but I'd rather be in a lounge and relax than elbow-to-elbow in a restaurant looking to turn a table ASAP.

Granted, I'm no longer 100k miles/year - I travel with family more than work. PP lounges are great for that.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Skymiles
Restaurant and lounge at same visit.

Last year. i was in gatwick and wanted to go nr PP Nr 1. It was dull but come back after 40min. So I went to Resturat that accept PP. and Had nice meal and came back to Nr one after and did have to wait since Other was declined had wait my wait.. It was definite a nice solution as my layover was 4 -5 hours and food in restaurant was much better than lounge filled gap in 3 hour max stay. But it resulted in 2 PP visits in one airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.