Reload this Page >

MSP - Best Lounge options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP - Best Lounge options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:48 pm

Jumping in to add that I was able to use a Groupon that gave roughly 50% off the entrance to the Escape Lounge. It was worth it to me to not be at the PGA just because I am not a fan of golf culture.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
The PGA Lounge gives a $15 voucher which is valid at several vendors in the immediate vicinity, but not elsewhere in the airport. (I think the PGA lounge bar, the PGA golf simulator, Ike's Grill, and the French Meadow Cafe are on the list.) The French Meadow Cafe is "Grab & Go" which means I can have a snack or drinks at the Escape lounge, and then pick up a sandwich/salad/kombucha for the flight. It is quite slow, so totally not worth it if pressed for time.
Took advantage of this yesterday based on your advice here. Was perfect -- my sandwich and bottled water from French Meadow came out to $14.71.

Next time when I have a longer layover (and am traveling for work so have a per diem covering food) -- I may actually use the $15 to hit some golf balls. The set-up is pretty cool to have within an airport.

For anyone coming through in the future, they check you in at the desk in the PGA shop and give you a printed voucher for food. The food at the PGA Lounge itself closes at 8pm but of course you can access the other places until later when they close
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Amex Plat/DL flyer here so have access to all of them, so my $0.02

Overall Escape wins in my book. Was an absolute pig sty there for a while but has really cleaned up since leaving Priority Pass, "elevated" snack type food- almost make a full meal, decent bar selections and views of the tarmac. As mentioned above serious downer is bathrooms are outside and down the hall.

I'll do the PGA place if I need a real meal. I don't care for golf but can use the $15 to grab a sandwich and part of a beer. Typical airport fare food but do have some nice local beers.

Last long layover my wife and I got breakfast at PGA and then went over to Escape for drinks, so don't forget you can double dip here with Plat

SkyClub I always just find too crowded to go out of my way for. Swing by for a snack/coffee/beer on a short layover, wouldn't go out of my way
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

Can anyone elaborate a bit on the PGA Lounge? I’m a newbie and pretty much repeat the same plan at all the lounges I go to: find a nice seat, use AC power and wifi for my phone, get a nice buffet meal and drink, and relax for a few hours.

Does this lounge offer food and drink in-house or is that why they offer the $15 credit? Is the voucher good for that day only? If you’re leaving from MSP how does it work since someone said it’s not valid at any airport restaurants?

I have Priority Pass; can I get my normal lounge experience without paying anything extra here?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Just in my experience, you'll find some comfortable seats, a place to charge your phone, and WiFi. The $15 credit is used for food and drinks since they don't offer an area for snacks and free drinks like some of the other lounges.

I've only been there a handful of times and it's always been during the breakfast hours. I've had some decent food which was completely covered by the $15 credit. One time I decided to just have a drink, the bartender recommended a mimosa in which I then had two. Ended up being $12 a piece, so I'll now remember to ask how much a drink is before I have multiple.

I haven't used the credit at the restaurant downstairs, but I may try that the next time I fly through MSP.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by kstateinALB
Just in my experience, you'll find some comfortable seats, a place to charge your phone, and WiFi. The $15 credit is used for food and drinks since they don't offer an area for snacks and free drinks like some of the other lounges.

I've only been there a handful of times and it's always been during the breakfast hours. I've had some decent food which was completely covered by the $15 credit. One time I decided to just have a drink, the bartender recommended a mimosa in which I then had two. Ended up being $12 a piece, so I'll now remember to ask how much a drink is before I have multiple.

I haven't used the credit at the restaurant downstairs, but I may try that the next time I fly through MSP.
Thanks so clarifying! I have a family member going to the lounge after just getting a Priority Pass but I'll explain that this isn't like most lounges in that it doesn't have free food or drink.

Someone earlier in the thread said that the $15 voucher isn't good for use in the airport itself. Am I misreading that? If one flies out of MSP, can that voucher be used at airport restaurants and bars?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jent
Thanks so clarifying! I have a family member going to the lounge after just getting a Priority Pass but I'll explain that this isn't like most lounges in that it doesn't have free food or drink.

Someone earlier in the thread said that the $15 voucher isn't good for use in the airport itself. Am I misreading that? If one flies out of MSP, can that voucher be used at airport restaurants and bars?
Apparently the $15 voucher can't be used at *every* MSP F&B outlet, but only at the two particular places named in this thread, both of which are located almost underneath the PGA lounge: Ike's (good full service restaurant that seems to specialize in steak etc.) and French Meadow Bakery (cafe type place that makes good sandwiches to order using its own homemade bread). Both are local icons that have locations outside of the airport.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Apparently the $15 voucher can't be used at *every* MSP F&B outlet, but only at the two particular places named in this thread, both of which are located almost underneath the PGA lounge: Ike's (good full service restaurant that seems to specialize in steak etc.) and French Meadow Bakery (cafe type place that makes good sandwiches to order using its own homemade bread). Both are local icons that have locations outside of the airport.
Thank you for explaining!

I also just realized that my AmEx Platinum gives access to additional lounges at MSP that Priority Pass doesn't, so I'll compare the options.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:54 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by mules
Jumping in to add that I was able to use a Groupon that gave roughly 50% off the entrance to the Escape Lounge. It was worth it to me to not be at the PGA just because I am not a fan of golf culture.
Thank you! We had a layover at MSP. This saved us some money on the price of one day pass beyond the first three of us.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was just through MSP a couple days ago for the first time in a while. Glad I had this thread in advance. My 2 hr layover was cut to just over an hour due to a late inbound plane, but I first hit up the Escape Lounge for a couple drinks and food. Nice options and definitely a step above most domestic lounges, but still a bit below a Centurion Lounge as far as hot food goes. A bit before boarding I went over the the PGA Lounge and grabbed the $15 food voucher and used it to purchase a sandwich to go from French Meadow, which took about 10 mins for them to prepare. Was really good! Not worth $15 if I was paying cash, but for "free" it was really tasty. Luckily my outbound flight was out of the D gates right next to the lounges and restaurant so I didn't have to hike back across the airport.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
UPDATE: Ike's and French Meadow at MSP are closing, as part of the airport "upgrading/changing" its F&B outlets. (RIP) It's not clear yet AFAIK what will happen to the PGA vouchers and where they can be used. (RIP)

Also, the current handicapped access to the PGA lounge is through the elevator inside Ike's (there's an elevator across the corridor that goes to the Escape lounge, but you cannot go into the PGA lounge from there as the clear fire doors are alarmed), so it's not obvious what will happen during the construction period as the new F&B tenants (IIRC the Cook and Ox, an outpost of Butcher and the Boar in downtown Minneapolis will replace Ike's) are readied. I *think* there's a staircase outside of Ike's that goes to the PGA lounge.

BTW, Rock Bottom Brewery is also scheduled to leave MSP in this round of changes/updates/upgrades.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Airport Concessions periodically change. Hopefully Priority Pass will find other outlets willing to accept Priority Pass at MSP!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
UPDATE: Ike's and French Meadow at MSP are closing, as part of the airport "upgrading/changing" its F&B outlets. (RIP) It's not clear yet AFAIK what will happen to the PGA vouchers and where they can be used. (RIP)
Also, the current handicapped access to the PGA lounge is through the elevator inside Ike's (there's an elevator across the corridor that goes to the Escape lounge, but you cannot go into the PGA lounge from there as the clear fire doors are alarmed), so it's not obvious what will happen during the construction period as the new F&B tenants (IIRC the Cook and Ox, an outpost of Butcher and the Boar in downtown Minneapolis will replace Ike's) are readied. I *think* there's a staircase outside of Ike's that goes to the PGA lounge.
BTW, Rock Bottom Brewery is also scheduled to leave MSP in this round of changes/updates/upgrades.
DYK when this starts? I'm passing through in late June/early July and also mid August. FM is still listed, but Ike's isn't on the MSP Airport website. I usually stop and eat at FM, so it'll be sad to see it go (especially with the credit).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wonder if the PGA Club will be a 'restaurant' or a 'lounge' for Amex PP cardholders. Not that I prefer PGA over Escape, but I'm thinking about the voucher
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Gig103
I wonder if the PGA Club will be a 'restaurant' or a 'lounge' for Amex PP cardholders. Not that I prefer PGA over Escape, but I'm thinking about the voucher
Unless one really wants to use the virtual driving range at PGA, it’s not close IMO. Escape is way better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.