Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

When Lounge Dragons say you should/must use the other lounge closer to your gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Lounge Dragons say you should/must use the other lounge closer to your gate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Often I'll get off a plane in transit at a major airport, look for the nearest Priority Pass lounge (or nearest airline lounge if flying in premium class), eyeball it to see if it looks OK, and then attempt to enter. And it's not uncommon for the staff to tell me that I should or must use a different lounge closer to my departing gate. Is this a real rule? What difference does it make if an eligible passenger chooses to use the lounge then walk 10-15 towards departing gate v. walk 10-15 minutes towards departing gate and then use the lounge? Is this worth standing my ground on, or must I just slink off towards the unknown lounge closer to my gate that could be closed, full, or marginally crappier?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've never had a lounge tell me I had to use one closer to my gate. I think if you're encountering suggestions, its likely they want to make sure you know there are other options since they don't know if you know the airport or if its your first time there, and figure many people would rather use a lounge closer to their gate, all else being equal, so they can stay there longer until boarding.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't say I can recall an incident of this happening to me, and there are a few PP lounges where there are choices. Generally the lounge does want us signing in, in order to get the lounge payment. For airline lounges the only example I can think of are a few places like AA at CLT where one Club is huge (C) but the other lounges can get over-crowded (B).

Is this one airport in particular?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've never been redirected, but when busy, I have asked and they have suggested alternatives that might be less hectic.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Is this one airport in particular?
I've had a happen several times at several airports. Most recently at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam. Was connecting from Oslo going to Belfast. Went to priority pass "Lounge #26 " after getting off the flight from Oslo and the lady told me I had to use lounge 41 because it was closer to my gate and past the passport control for flights exiting Schengen to the UK. I told her I preferred to use the lounge I was at, she said it was against the rules.

I've definitely had them at least "suggest" that I use another lounge at other airports, like where there are multiple AA or UA lounges across different terminals.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
...Amsterdam. Was connecting from Oslo going to Belfast. Went to priority pass "Lounge #26 " after getting off the flight from Oslo and the lady told me I had to use lounge 41 because it was closer to my gate and past the passport control for flights exiting Schengen to the UK.
In this example the attendant appears to have been correct. Lounge admission is based on your destination. Lounge 26 states Schengen flights only. Lounge 41 states Non-Schengen flights only.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:29 pm

AMS is the only place I've had this happen to me, and it's definitely well justified. Passport control into the Schengen waiting area can have a much longer wait than people expect.

The guides at passport control will allow people to the front for close connections - due to flight schedule, not due to a personal choice to spend time in the lounge. By forcing you to use the lounge on the other end, this cuts back on the number of "last minute" people trying to get through passport control, saving it for those who actually need it. While the lounge shouldn't directly care, it prevents complaints from both passengers and the airport authority for the problems that this creates.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
In this example the attendant appears to have been correct. Lounge admission is based on your destination. Lounge 26 states Schengen flights only. Lounge 41 states Non-Schengen flights only.
AHA! Thanks. I'm glad I didn't freak out on her and demand written proof that she wasn't making up the rule on the spot. That would have been embarrassing.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I've sometimes had attendants tell me another lounge was closer, for example, when going to the lounge in the terminal where I was arriving, when there was another one in the terminal I would be leaving on for my connecting flight, but it seemed to me just to let me know should I prefer that. Though I also get the whole Schengen/non-Schengen thing. Usually, the non-Schengen lounges are better anyway, since for long haul (except in BRU, for some reason).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.