Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Airspace Lounge @ San Diego

Airspace Lounge @ San Diego

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Hawaiian717
Wiki Link
AMEX Plat allowed entry, with two guests. PLAT holder and each guest is given a $10 credit (via airspace debit card that expires at midnight) to use for food or top-shelf drinks.

Shared lounge with AA

Once in the door, the AMEX PLAT check-in is third line, AA/others check-in at first two lines. Public welcome for $25

Great bartender, David, on Sunday evenings (June 2015)

Menu as of April 2018: http://imgur.com/a/iYlXfw4
Print Wikipost

Old May 2, 14, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Airspace Lounge San Diego Opened May 2014

I flew out of SAN yesterday and noticed a new Airspace Lounge. The workers at Airspace Lounge CLE had told me about it, but I never fully absorbed what they were talking about until now.

They opened part 1 of 2. It's sort of a takeover of the Admirals Club there, but it looks like they are going to call it an Airspace Lounge and an Admirals Club at the same time which is an interesting innovation if true and, when you think about it, has all sort of positive implications if it is adopted widely.

The AA agent (there is both AA and Airspace agents at the front desk) was telling me that right now you still use the old Admirals Club entrance (as I did) and then connect over to the new part. In a few months the old part will go away and a second phase with new entrance will open.

The new part of the lounge was really cool; much nicer than the already-nice new DL club on the other side of the terminal. Huge windows with views and a nice bar like Airspace CLE that takes advantage of the windows. Apparently all F&B except self-serve will stay on the AA side until all licenses are finalized, so I couldnt get my usual Airspace charcuterie plate yet.

No matter what it's good to see more Airspace/Centurions come online; especially in this location as it will be a higher-end lounge that can be used when flying any of a bunch of different airlines.
Old May 2, 14, 9:18 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Official announcement here:

http://www.airspacelounge.com/san/
Old May 5, 14, 7:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, UA, AA Platinum, DL, Amex Plat, Amex SPG, SPG Gold, AAdvantage Plat/Aviator MCs
This is great, I fly out of SAN every now and then and I can't always fly DL so this is a welcome benefit!
Old May 5, 14, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, American Air, National Car
Does our Priority Pass Select - AMEX PLAT get us into this new lounge?
Old May 5, 14, 8:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by 4aks View Post
Does our Priority Pass Select - AMEX PLAT get us into this new lounge?
Priority Pass does not, but the Platinum Card itself does. See here:

http://www.airspacelounge.com/faq/program-entry/
Old May 5, 14, 8:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold, UA, AA Platinum, DL, Amex Plat, Amex SPG, SPG Gold, AAdvantage Plat/Aviator MCs
It would seem Amex has decided to supplement the Centurion Lounge benefit, perhaps to make up for the loss of US Airways lounge access.
Old May 5, 14, 9:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by 3Point View Post
It would seem Amex has decided to supplement the Centurion Lounge benefit,
How so? American Express Centurion and Platinum cardholders have had access to Airspace lounges since first one opened in 2011.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-access.html
Old May 5, 14, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
How so? American Express Centurion and Platinum cardholders have had access to Airspace lounges since first one opened in 2011.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-access.html
Exactly. This isn't a anything new. I've always used the Airspace lounge at JFK which is a bit small but it gets the job done.
Old May 5, 14, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Priority Pass does not, but the Platinum Card itself does. See here:

http://www.airspacelounge.com/faq/program-entry/
Ok, great - I could use a SAN lounge
Old May 5, 14, 3:24 pm

So Admirals Club members have access as well, then?
Old May 5, 14, 8:57 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Plat does

Originally Posted by nall View Post
So Admirals Club members have access as well, then?
No. Amex Plat and Cent members have access to Airspace Lounges. Admirals Club members have access to Admiral Clubs.
Old May 5, 14, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
No. Amex Plat and Cent members have access to Airspace Lounges. Admirals Club members have access to Admiral Clubs.
This is both. So the answer is YES, Admirals Club gets in.

Airspace has its requirements. Admirals Club has its requirements too. Both get access to the same space. It is co-branded. While there have been many co-branded lounges around the world over the years (alliances, CO/NW in ORD, others)...this is quite a new twist. Good stuff.
Old May 6, 14, 10:45 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DrivingRain View Post
This is both. So the answer is YES, Admirals Club gets in.

Airspace has its requirements. Admirals Club has its requirements too. Both get access to the same space. It is co-branded. While there have been many co-branded lounges around the world over the years (alliances, CO/NW in ORD, others)...this is quite a new twist. Good stuff.
+1. Just visited the Airspace Lounge at SAN today. Much prefer the lounge area of the Airspace Lounge. The only negative is that they don't have a liquor license for another two weeks, so you're not allowed to bring a drink from the Admirals Club side to the Airspace Lounge side.

For those wondering about accessing T2 w/ a T1 boarding pass, I was fine with clearing TSA and the lounge attendant since their website said "for passengers traveling from T2".
Old May 7, 14, 11:49 am
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Hi everyone,

We'd be pleased to answer any questions you might have about Airspace SAN.

A few key points:
-As noted in previous posts, Phase 1 is indeed open. It is adjacent to the older part of the lounge and you can move back and forth between the two sides with ease.
-The forthcoming Phase 2 of the new lounge will be using some of the older side, so we will close a part of that club in the coming weeks and construction of Phase 2 will start soon thereafter.
-The existing entry is staying where it is now until phase 2 opens and it will continue to have a little hallway that leads to the new part of the lounge.
-Soda, espresso and snack mix/fruit is available in the new part of the lounge now. More substantial food and alcohol is available now on the older side of the lounge. Food can be brought to anywhere in the space, including to the new side. Alcohol must stay on the older side for the time-being.
-All the F&B will switch over to the new side soon, but there's no specific timetable. Nevertheless, as said above, food and alcohol is available in the lounge today.
-A shower is a part of the phase 2 construction.
Old May 7, 14, 11:59 am
mia

Originally Posted by AirspaceOnFT View Post
We'd be pleased to answer any questions
Can you confirm that this will be a joint AA/Airspace lounge, and explain if there will be any distinction between customers who enter with AA credentials versus American Express (in terms of food, drink, WiFi, etc). Do you anticipate joint facilities with any airline at other airports. I do understand if you would not be able to comment on specifics, just curious if it's a prototype of a new business model.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: