Airspace Lounge @ San Diego

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Information:
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/lounges/usa/san-diego-ca-intl/san10-airspace-lounge
Open 5:30am - 1pm

Means of admission:
  • AMEX Plat with two guests. PLAT holder and each guest is given a $10 credit (via airspace debit card that expires at midnight) to use for food or top-shelf drinks.
  • AA Admirals Club
  • Priority Pass
  • Cash

Once in the door, the AMEX PLAT check-in is third line, AA/others check-in at first two lines. Public welcome for $25

Menu as of April 2018: http://imgur.com/a/iYlXfw4
Print Wikipost

Airspace Lounge @ San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by MikeekiM
It was the worst lounge I have ever visited...

1. Poor Entry Experience

You open the door to three desk/podiums, one is an American Express sign-in desk. The desk wasn't "manned" and three groups of people piled up while someone was located to help us through the entry process.

Once there, she didn't welcome anyone. She went right to work and to save time, announced "Okay, I am only going to say this once...", and then went through what was free, what wasn't free, that they would be giving us each a $10 credit that could be used at the bar.

2. Lounge was overcrowded

OK... Can't really blame the lounge for being popular I guess. The lounge is supposed to cost $35/person for anyone who cannot enter using any special programs... I think it's free for Amex Platinum cardholders, as well as if you are a member of the admiral's club on a couple of airlines...

But still... The place was PACKED... No open seating at all...

3. Lounge was a Pig Sty with no attempt at tidying things up

I am sure this is related to the fact that the place was over crowded... But there seemed to be no attempt by the lounge staff to keep things tidy... Trail mix and M&Ms were scattered on the floor, dirty dishes and cups where all over the lounge... I wouldn't be so critical if there was staff that was trying to address it, but just couldn't keep up... But there was no attempt at all to keep things clean and orderly.

4. "Complimentary" food and drinks were lacking, lackluster and underwhelming.

They explained that they had some no charge snacks and sodas and pointed us to a very small counter area. They had a coffee machine, a small multi-selection soda spigot, and some mangled cookies behind a plexiglass cabinet. They also had some trail mix dispensers... I am sure at least half went into people's stomachs, and the other half found itself on the carpeting (okay, I am obviously exaggerating!!!).

They gave us each a $10 credit (there were 3 in my party). So we had $30.00 to spend on bar drinks (we don't drink liquor), and I think they had some purchaseable foods as well. Since we couldn't find any seats, and the place was a mess, we didn't bother finding out what foods were purchaseable. We simply left.

Boy, I really wonder how this lounge gets its 4.5 star Yelp rating!!! Maybe I came on a bad day... But I don't think so... I feel sorry for anyone that had to pay to get into this place... I got in "free" with my $550 annual Amex Platinum card, and I still feel like they somehow owe me a refund of some kind just for wasting my time!!!

The 4.5 stars has me scratching my head and wondering if I need to give this place another chance... But it was so underwhelming, I am finding it hard to get up the energy to do a return visit...

Anyway... I just thought I would share that with you all!
The lounge isn't always crowded. The level of crowds varies a lot depending on time of day (it is busiest in the hour or two before the daily JAL and BA flights leave, since all oneworld Sapphire passengers on those flights have access). In my experience it isn't usually terribly messy. The food you can purchase with the $10 credit is decent. Often I'll just ask them to pack my food to go and take it on the plane.

But yeah, I would use the United club or the Delta club instead if I had access to them, which are above average for domestic lounges.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 6, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: Tidying up quoted thread
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:07 pm

I just updated the wiki to include a link to photos I took of the menu earlier this month: http://imgur.com/a/iYlXfw4
Old May 19, 2018, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I would use the United club or the Delta club instead if I had access to them, which are above average for domestic lounges.
​​​Why not both?

With an Admirals Club membership card, the Airspace Club does not require a boarding pass, does it?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by theranj
I'm flying with Alaska with two children (5 and 3) later this summer, which I believe is in Terminal 1 - any feedback on whether the lounge is worth going to in Terminal 2, then going back to Terminal 1 (hesitation is that I need to go thru Security twice, although we do have TSA Pre-Check)
Just got back yesterday from our trip, we ended up needing to buy lunch so decided to do the trek to try it out.

The lounge was fairly empty and quite clean, and we received $10 per person ($40 total) thru our Amex Platinum card. The food menu was pretty sparse / basic but the lounge itself was nice and quiet which was good for us with kids as Terminal 1 was indeed terrible...TSA Precheck was used both times so that made the security part easier
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:04 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
4 passengers departing on JL 65 in business (using AS miles) which takes off around 11:35 AM.

As JL passengers in business, do we have access to this lounge? When should we be there to beat the crowds and get seats?

Staying at a nearby Hyatt or Sheraton the night before (haven't decided). Should we partake breakfast at hotel or at the lounge?

We also have 4 UA passes - but that requires UA boarding passes?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
4 passengers departing on JL 65 in business (using AS miles) which takes off around 11:35 AM.

As JL passengers in business, do we have access to this lounge? When should we be there to beat the crowds and get seats?

Staying at a nearby Hyatt or Sheraton the night before (haven't decided). Should we partake breakfast at hotel or at the lounge?

We also have 4 UA passes - but that requires UA boarding passes?
I believe you will have access to this lounge as JL J passengers and will be entitled to a complimentary item from the BA/JL menu (which is rather limited, e.g., a small dish of olives or cheese). If you have an Amex Platinum card you can get a $10 voucher (not valid for tips). The lounge is smallish and does get crowded before the JL (and BA) flights, as well as whenever there are delays on AA flights (e.g., to DFW or ORD, both of which have had some storm delays this season) so if you want to be sure of a table, getting there quite early would be advisable, but honestly, I wouldn't bother as the lounge isn't all that special.

My understanding is that your UA club passes will grant you access without a same-day UA boarding pass through October 31, 2019 (so no change until next year).

If you are talking about a Hilton or Sheraton restaurant breakfast, that will be much more satisfying than the lounge offering. Hilton or Sheraton lounge breakfast is likely to be rather limited, but as a buffet you can go back for more.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
While I have access to the Delta Sky Club, I usually stop off here first and grab a drink and a chicken salad wrap/chips and couple waters to go. I then go hang out at the Delta club until I leave for my flight. For me, using the AMEX Plat the $10 credit makes up for the limited selection of other "non menu" food options.

I normally only stay for one drink and have never seen it that crowded when I'm leaving or returning to SAN. Yes, the AMEX desk isn't manned all the time like the other 2 are but they are usually there within a minute or so as they frequently are doing double duty.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Based on some reports here, we had a very low expectation when visiting this lounge back in December as part of our SAN-NRT on JL65 in business. We only wish that we had more time and empty stomach to enjoy this nice place.

Entry experience left too much to be desired but the staff were not rude. Without effort, we found a nice spot for the 4 of us near a TV on the furthest wall from the bar/serving area. At the time of our visit (Monday 12/17 around 10:30 AM), the place was clean and tidy with expansive views of the tarmac. Food offerings were generous 2 items per person and for the 4 of us, we had 8 items. The food was good and nicely presented and the portions weren't small by any measure. In my estimation, this lounge is much better than the AAdmiral Club at LAX' TBIT.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:03 am

Dumb question: do they swipe your Platinum card for entry? Reason I ask is because my wife accidentally packed the Plat card we recently downgraded to Green (still has a current date, but the card likely wouldn't swipe) rather than our current Plat.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Parachute07
Dumb question: do they swipe your Platinum card for entry? Reason I ask is because my wife accidentally packed the Plat card we recently downgraded to Green (still has a current date, but the card likely wouldn't swipe) rather than our current Plat.
yes I believe they did
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Does anyone know a clever use for leftover Airspace credit? I.e. the $2 or $4 left over after ordering $8 on a $10 card, or $16 on a $20 card?

I'm hoping there's a secret supply of $1 takeaway snacks or something...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by lairdb
Does anyone know a clever use for leftover Airspace credit? I.e. the $2 or $4 left over after ordering $8 on a $10 card, or $16 on a $20 card?

I haven't found it. I just leave a tip with whatever is left.

I can tell you that the staff will make a Buffalo Chicken salad instead of a wrap if you ask for lettuce and no tortilla. This was a big coup for me since I do not like wraps.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I visited it the other day and it was smaller and more crowded than I expected. The macarons and the to-go food were decent, though. I don't think I'd pay for access but it might still be okay if you have a free way of accessing it (e.g. AmEx Platinum).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lairdb

Super late response but for future interested parties - you can get macarons at $2 each. They aren't bad.
​​​​​​
​​​
donotblink likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Priority Pass San Diego Lounges?

Are there none? Can't find anything on the list. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.