Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Which Priority Pass Lounge in JNB International departures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Seems I can use 3 lounges in JNB on my PP before my LH flight

Bidvest premier
Maszonzha
Shongololo

Which one would people recommend? I did Maszonzha before, it was OK
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Seem to recall Shongololo was fine, but somewhat crowded midafternoon. Nothing exciting but snacks, coffee machine, usual PP lounge bites
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Bidvest is ok too. The food was promptly refilled with quite a tasty Tikka. Bar was self-serve which made us happy before boarding our 787 in Y to Doha. Finding an outlet that worked was a bit of a challenge but at least there are multiple tables to sit at. Some small and some larger for sharing. Atmosphere was calm and overlooking the terminal & departure board was not bad. Tarmac watching at night can be a bit boring in comparison.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:26 am
Community Director Emerita

We have the choice of the South African Airways lounge or a Priority Pass lounge for a 5 hour layover between two international flights. We will want showers, snacks, and a place to rest. What lounge should we use?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I recently had a number of hours to spare before a flight at JNB, Saturday afternoon/early evening.

My impressions of the International Terminal A lounges are as follows (after several days of wine tasting I wasn't much in the mood for alcohol so apologies in advance to those for whom this is important, for the lack of details ):

Slow Lounge

Not a Priority Pass Lounge, but I had access since I was traveling in Delta One.

Food/bev: mini sandwiches, typical array of fruit/cheese/pastries, some soup tureens that I didn't investigate, a variety of lagers/pils which also weren't interesting to me, a few self-serve liquor bottles that seemed mostly cheap stuff, wine dispensers, and a full service bar. The food was ok but nothing special.

Power: lots of outlets, but in at least one seating area they were only type D/M (not sure which) which IME is missing in a lot of adaptor kits. Other seating areas had the more common all-in-one or dedicated type C I think.

This was already a reasonably-sized space, but as I was leaving they had opened up a second area on the other side of the checkin desk which seemed to have the same food etc.

Bidvest (Priority Pass)

There was a bit of a line to get in, possibly due to whatever transaction was being processed just as I walked up, but in any case it didn't take that long to gain entry, and once inside while it definitely felt populated, it wasn't hard to find seating so it wasn't overly crowded.

At a quick glance the liquor was a slightly better selection, but the food was awful.

Mashonzha (Priority Pass)

In contrast to the previous two, this lounge felt tiny and sad and I only noticed prepackaged food in a refrigerated display. There's a raised/high-top table with charging stations for ~8 people. Didn't spend much time here.

Shongololo (Priority Pass)

Not as tiny but still felt slightly sad. Had the same prepackaged food display (one of which I noticed was microwaveable mac & cheese) but also had a few hot options (the hot food was different in each lounge)

Conclusions

I would skip the Mashonzha lounge, but otherwise probably just go to whichever is closest to the departure gate. Bidvest is to the right after security, while Slow (if you have access) is immediately on the left, and Shongololo is further out down some escalators near gate A7. (The OR Tambo web site, and the PP app which seems like a direct copy of the same language, reference a defunct AF lounge, but AF/KL also send pax to the Slow Lounge judging by a sign I saw)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I used Shongololo and it was fine. You won’t be wowed, but you will have a seat and snacks and something to drink.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Bumping this for a post-covid world.

Amex Plat gets access to the following lounged internationally:

Mashonza
Shongololo
Virgin Clubhouse
Aspire
Bidvest Premier
I Guess... I'll try the Clubhouse or Aspire tomorrow?
SSF556 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Answer myself: clubhouse is the clear winner with table-service and a list of freshly-made food:

SSF556 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: Platinum with QR; Silver with LH, Gold with Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Bumping this for a post-covid world.

Amex Plat gets access to the following lounged internationally:

Mashonza
Shongololo
Virgin Clubhouse
Aspire
Bidvest Premier
I Guess... I'll try the Clubhouse or Aspire tomorrow?
I don't recommend Shongololo - it is overcrowded and food is average
Virgin is great. Very attentive staff and food is good. I believe it can get overcrowded at peak hours as it is a small lounge.
Aspire gets very busy as well,
Next time I want to try Bidvest Premier. It is quite big and never seen very busy.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Urbanity
I don't recommend Shongololo - it is overcrowded and food is average
Virgin is great. Very attentive staff and food is good. I believe it can get overcrowded at peak hours as it is a small lounge.
Aspire gets very busy as well,
Next time I want to try Bidvest Premier. It is quite big and never seen very busy.
It looked very busy around noon yesterday. even had a lineup to get in. But I definitely looks big from outside!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.