Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Club Mobay, Sangster airport, MBJ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Review of Club Mobay, Sangster airport, MBJ

We used the Club Mobay lounge at Montego Bay, Jamaica in early January. This was the departure lounge, we had several hours after having to leave an arriving cruise ship till our flights took off about five PM, and the lounge seemed a good place to wait. Short version is that it was a great experience and I highly recommend Club Mobay. I wasn’t thinking about photos for a review, so unfortunately didn’t take any.

Most negative thing I can say about the experience is that getting into the Club is a little confusing. You are approved for admittance at a desk in the groundside area outside security , and there is a passage to their shortcut through outbound security and customs right there. The staff didn’t direct me to it, and I was a little bumfuzzled and started to walk away, rather than go through the shortcut, fortunately my gf was a little more alert, and steered us into their shortcut. Admission to the club was no problem, I had PP through the CSR, and my gf was readily admitted as my guest. I can’t give figures, but using the Club’s shortcut appeared to save us Meaningful time. There was a considerable line visible in the regular entrance, while we had perhaps five minutes wait. I’d bet it saved us at least half an hour in line. After getting through security, you walk a short distance through gift shops and the terminal to the Club, which is well marked.

We grabbed a low-set table and I headed to the bathroom, while my gf watched our stuff. The bathroom was immaculate, and by the time I returned my gf (a regular attendee of United Clubs in the US) blurted out “This is great!” She already had a drink, and the attentive staff took my order for a pineapple juice and brought it promptly. We were able to move to two large comfortable chairs when they became vacant. They were set up at right angles with a small table in an arrangement that gave us at least an illusion of intimacy and privacy, as good as I could have asked for in such a setup.

Food was available. They had various jerked meats, fruits and dishes set out hot or in glass-front coolers, as well as packaged foods including more types of banana chips than I knew existed. It had a cafeteria vibe, but was decently tasty and refreshed regularly.

The gf lives in a different city than I do, and we were about to be separated for a couple of months, so we focused on each other for several hours in the Club. There was certainly background chatter, but it wasn’t too loud to keep us from doing that. The wait staff was polite and kept refreshing our drinks without being too obtrusive.

After several hours we went to our separate loud, crowded, chaotic gates to wait for our flights, and the gf texted me “I’m so glad you had that club and we didn’t have to wait five hours in this!” I got a lot of “points” with her off of the Club!

Highly recommended! I understand they have a separate arrival lounge and a service that rushes you through incoming customs, but we didn’t use it. If we go back to Montego Bay, I’ll consider it, though I don’t know how that would interact with PP.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Many thanks for that review Mike B, thank you very much for sharing that here. MBJ is the sort of airport where FTers could be considering this lounge and I'm sure your insights will help them. So thanks very much for that, but also thank you for joining up with Flyertalk. I hope you will find this and other forums interesting and useful.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome! I’m actually a recycled member, you can see a few posts I did in 2000-2001 as MikeBinOK, but I evidently no longer have the email I used at that time, so I started a new name.

after a few days, the only thing I’d add to this is that when we first arrived at about Noon, the lounge wasn’t very crowded, but the level of crowd and noise increased as time went on. Not too surprising.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the reply Mike B. We try to keep people on just the one account here on FT, but I can see your difficulties here. I'll send you a PM so that we can regularise this neatly, thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: now done, please PM to confirm OK or Help / Contact Us if not!

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 8, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:42 am

It seems that the Priority Pass gave MikeBinOK access to a shorter line. I wonder if that would work for inbound flights as well? I only found this data point so far, Club Mobay
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:04 am

The PP does not work for the fast track inbound flights. However, once you are through customs and there is room in the lounge you can use your PP card. Note, the inbound room is small in comparison to the departures lounge. A rum punch will increase the size ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.