Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass Benefits rapidly improving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Clarification: that will be the fee for members with limited entry, and guests.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I think it takes a little nerve to hike the access fee by 18% at a moment where dissatisfaction with the program (bad lounges, major denied-access issues, lame coverage at key airports like ORD, LAX, SYD) has never been clearer.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I think it takes a little nerve to hike the access fee by 18% at a moment where dissatisfaction with the program (bad lounges, major denied-access issues, lame coverage at key airports like ORD, LAX, SYD) has never been clearer.
Who was paying the $28 entrance fee for PP? The fee is only paid by the person entering if the CC or other type of membership is not covering the entrance fee. Thankfully Chase has imposed limits for PP instead of unlimited guests for card holders.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TGarza
Who was paying the $28 entrance fee for PP?
Anyone who buys membership direct from PP.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Who was paying the $28 entrance fee for PP? .....
Anyone who holds a pay-per-visit membership, or a membership with a fixed number of included visits which they have exceeded, or anyone who brings guests beyond the number covered by their membership.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Anyone who holds a pay-per-visit membership, or a membership with a fixed number of included visits which they have exceeded, or anyone who brings guests beyond the number covered by their membership.
Very few PP lounges are worth the old or new entrance fee. It is easy to obtain PP access as a CC perk rather than to pay PP for a membership.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
SYD has quite a few restaurant options now?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
ORD?

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
PP is much better globally than in the US from my experience. There is nothing at FLL (Fort Lauderdale). Not even restaurant credit. DCA (DC) seems to have a restaurant credit now so that is a plus.

I would encourage people send emails to complain about lack of PP at Fort Lauderdale so maybe it will motivate them to do something
FLL? What about ORD?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
SYD has quite a few restaurant options now?
Nothing but restaurant options AFAIK which I have no interest in. I can sit in a crowded, noisy restaurant anytime -- a weak substitute for a lounge.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
FLL? What about ORD?
At ORD you have to be departing from T5, which mostly means you are leaving the country, and not on AA/UA/LH/AC/NH which do not depart from there. No PP facilities in T1/2/3 which is an egregious hole in the network.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Very few PP lounges are worth the old or new entrance fee. It is easy to obtain PP access as a CC perk rather than to pay PP for a membership.
That might be true for the US but there are a fair number of countries where credit cards aren't really a thing (and even if they are, their benefits/rewards are anemic to say the least). Though since international lounges are still generally better than US ones, it probably balances out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That might be true for the US but there are a fair number of countries where credit cards aren't really a thing (and even if they are, their benefits/rewards are anemic to say the least). Though since international lounges are still generally better than US ones, it probably balances out.

Non US/Canadian airports would be the only place I would consider purchasing a PP if I had an extended layover. Most the PP complaints/comments in this forum have been about US locations & options.

I am still curious about the cost to PP for lounge access, the PP cost to the card companies for the perks and the discount PP receives from the participating locations. The PP business model reminds me of an MVNO which are bulk buyers of cell access who resale the service and compete for customers with the cell companies on price and service.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:51 pm

Non US/Canadian airports would be the only place I would consider purchasing a PP if I had an extended layover. Most the PP complaints/comments in this forum have been about US locations & options.

I am still curious about the cost to PP for lounge access, the PP cost to the card companies for the perks and the discount PP receives from the participating locations. The PP business model reminds me of an MVNO which are bulk buyers of cell access who resale the service and compete for customers with the cell companies on price and service.
I am sure the PP business model is more akin to insurance than phone MVNOs. People pay for access to the network but will use a lot less than they pay in in aggregate. They likely negotiate a discount with lounges much like insurance companies do for "in network" services, but that is more to constrain cost overruns than anything else.

CC memberships are likely gravy train money for PP. Likely a good chunk of users who don't regularly use the service but they get a constant revenue stream from the card companies.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Frazell
I am sure the PP business model is more akin to insurance.....
The fact that Priority Pass is owned by an insurance company suggests that you are correct .
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Frazell
I am sure the PP business model is more akin to insurance than phone MVNOs. People pay for access to the network but will use a lot less than they pay in in aggregate. They likely negotiate a discount with lounges much like insurance companies do for "in network" services, but that is more to constrain cost overruns than anything else.

CC memberships are likely gravy train money for PP. Likely a good chunk of users who don't regularly use the service but they get a constant revenue stream from the card companies.
I am aware PP is owned by an insurance company and probably prices the service to the CC's similar to an insurance product with X% of the CC will actually use the benefit. PP essentially purchases the excess capacity from the existing lounges similar to an MVNO and resells the space. PP is bumped in the same fashion as an MVNO given the low status by the lounges when the lounge is busy.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Nothing but restaurant options AFAIK which I have no interest in. I can sit in a crowded, noisy restaurant anytime -- a weak substitute for a lounge .
At SYD, which lounge do you think they could get access to?

I actually think a lot of the priority pass lounges are the crowded noisy locations in airports. The SYD restaurant options are actually very peaceful compared to the Amex international lounge which is heaving most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.