Lounge Access Ethics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access Ethics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Lounge Access Ethics

Delta recently announced that SkyClub members will have to fly Delta (or a Delta-coded WestJet flight) for lounge access starting early 2019. UA also recently started limiting access to members flying any airline that day. (Previously members had access pretty much whenever.) AA still allows members Admirals Club access when they feel like it, albeit with a declared business purpose like meeting a colleague or customer flying that day.

Now I know that as members of this community we all want to maximize the value of what we have paid for...but should we have any ethical consideration for whether we use a lounge when not flying that airline? Yesterday I flew WN PHX-OAK, and spent an hour at an airline club beforehand. Yes I followed the rules as a member, and was granted access. Delta clearly seems to think not, while United and American are more accommodating. The question is: Did I do the right thing?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Lounges are there for a reason: to be used.

If you enter to a lounge, means that you either paid for it, or you belong to a program that gives you a benefit that both parties agreed to, and you are entitled, and deserve it as frequent flyer. You did nothing wrong.
Beltway2A, Annalisa12 and skybear like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
If you enter to a lounge, means that you either paid for it, or you belong to a program that gives you a benefit that both parties agreed to, and you are entitled, and deserve it as frequent flyer. You did nothing wrong.
+1. I can't agree more with this. If the lounge or lounge system doesn't like it, they're free to exit the respective program or change the rules, and we as consumers are free to no longer be members or pay access.

Similar to the OP, I used the United Club at LAX a few days ago while flying AA. I had valid access and a same day boarding pass, so I'm in compliance with their rules. No guilt as both the lounge and I were within the posted rules.
skybear likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I agree that nothing the OP contemplates here is ethically dubious. One practice that is questionable, though, is guesting in strangers with these lounge meet-up boards. That's not really your guest. If that practice becomes prevalent enough, it might requiring a scaling back of guest privileges, which would impact cardholders and their actual travel companions.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing unlawful, unethical or immoral about using a service which you are entitled to use. That is all a lounge is. If the rules permit you access, you should go ahead and access it to the extent that it meets your needs.

Air carriers are slowly restricting access because overuse means something has to go. But, that is at some point later. Now is now.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
... any ethical consideration for whether we use a lounge when not flying that airline? ... I followed the rules as a member, and was granted access. Delta clearly seems to think not,...
If Delta is changing their rules it is not because they think that using a Skyclub when flying another airline is unethical, but rather permitting it does not achieve their business objective. The club is an amenity to encourage you to use fly on Delta Airlines.

It would be unethical to purchase and refund a Delta ticket for the purpose of entering a Skyclub when not flying Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have no problem using a Delta Skyclub with the membership that I have paid for or earn by giving them my business even if I am not flying with them on that specific day.

My sore backside is a reminder of this!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Concur with the crowd. The only lounge antics that I find to be ethically dubious are:

(1) The guy who was arrested for printing fake boarding passes and basically lived in SIN? lounges for 21 days.
(2) The **** who guested 27 people into a lounge on her PP membership (there have been a few of these dolts). While this may not violate the T&Cs it is the type of abuse that will ruin the program for those of us who like to guest our family members a few times a year.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Concur with the crowd. The only lounge antics that I find to be ethically dubious are:

(1) The guy who was arrested for printing fake boarding passes and basically lived in SIN? lounges for 21 days.
(2) The **** who guested 27 people into a lounge on her PP membership (there have been a few of these dolts). While this may not violate the T&Cs it is the type of abuse that will ruin the program for those of us who like to guest our family members a few times a year.
The Mrs. says I sometimes overthink things. Thanks everyone for assuaging my guilt. And to the prior poster, totally agree about those two points, even if not technically forbidden by the rules.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo

were the 27 persons over 27 days ?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Beano
were the 27 persons over 27 days ?
19 guests in one visit. Mea culpa:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ity-pass-card/
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Only the US sells airline club memberships or attaches it to high-fee credit cards. Most non-US airlines have clubs for those flying first or business (including on domestic flights – I've always thought it odd that US airlines do not give lounge access to domestic first) and elites.Limiting club visits to flying on Delta makes a Delta club membership much less valuable.I can get that through Amex Plat.But maybe that is what Delta is aiming for.And if other US airlines followed suit, I think you'd just see fewer club memberships sold, and more demand for Priority Pass and Centurion.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
... I've always thought it odd that US airlines do not give lounge access to domestic first) and elites...]
It wasn't always this way, but following a Civil Aeronautics Board order in the mid-1970's the airlines opted to operate their lounges as membership clubs:

Designed primarily for business travelers, the clubs date from the 1930's, one of the first being American Airlines' Admirals Club, founded in 1938. The clubs remained relatively exclusive until the mid-70's when, after a series of anti-discrimination cases, the Civil Aeronautics Board issued rules governing them.

In an order dated Feb. 12, 1974, the board decreed that the carriers had the choice of opening the clubs to all people, or of opening them to all passengers or all passengers traveling in a particular class, such as first class, or of opening them to members of a club, provided that anyone who requested membership in the club and paid the membership fee, if any, could join. Certain exceptions were permitted: The lounges could be used by handicapped, elderly, ill or delayed passengers who were not club members and by eminent people and public figures whose appearance in a main waiting area might create a disturbance or by groups needing an assembly point.
PRACTICAL TRAVELER - NOT-SO-EXCLUSIVE VIP LOUNGES - NYTimes.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.