Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 CCR or T3 (any OW lounge)

Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

I don't transit LHR much given where I am based. But i will likely be in the UK end of the month and am planning some BA sector runs to get my 4 qualifying flights.

If you only had 1 shot at it, would you attempt to visit the T5 CCR or any T3 OW lounge?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA gold
This one is probably perfect for @corporate-wage-slave to answer.

My feeling is that none of the lounges at LHR are special enough to factor in a decision how you fly to/from LHR. I'd pick convenience first. So if your flights are T5 based, it's a lot nicer NOT to have to shuffle over to T3. Especially if you fly back from a UK airport to T5, you avoid having to clear security again unless you transfer over to T3 (even if it's an airside transfer, security clearance is still needed).

Now with that out of the way, I do like the CX First class lounge at LHR T3, but it is a little busier than CCR in T5.

If you do go to CCR, you might be lucky enough to meet @corporate-wage-slave there, it's his second home.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

You really are spoiled for choices. There is a fantastic variety of oneworld lounges at T3 and with the recent opening of the Qantas London Lounge, the choice is even wider. My favourite at T3 is still the Cathay First lounge - during my last visit at the tail end of 2017 the baked brie was excellent, piping hot, so scrummy and comforting.

The T5 CCR was freshened up a couple of months ago. The new furniture may not photograph particularly well but from my own experience the lounge includes, and by quite a measure, the most comfortable chairs I have parked my tush in any lounge and that includes the magnificent Pier First Class lounge in HKG. Service has improved but is still edged out by the CX F lounge IMHO.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
The only complicating factor for me is that my home port is HKG - so the CX T3 F lounge, whilst undoubtedly good, will probably have the same novelty factor as the Pier F here.

Looks like if I don't really care about the CX F lounge, it looks like the T5 CCR does win hands down?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
CX F lounge is vastly better than the other OW lounges at LHR (including BA CCR).

For me lounge quality would not be an important factor in determining where to go and which airline to fly.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Use of the CCR assumes flying BA First into/out of LHR T5 (or in AND out) or the OP is a GGL member. If neither, it's an academic question.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Try out the QF lounge. It's new and stunningly beautiful if the novelty of the CX F lounge doesn't do it for you.... yes, I much prefer either of these choices to the CCR.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
We fly out of T3 @ 14:15 next month can’t decide between CX & QF would like some nice cocktails and good food. Should we just do one or both? If both which for what.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA
If you have enough time try to go to both. I passed through T3 recently and had breakfast in CX First then over to Qantas for a glass of bubbly and to experience the new lounge. Took about ten minutes for the barman to actually take my order with only one other customer at the bar, then was informed they do not stock Rose Champagne. A First Class lounge not serving Rose Champagne. He did offer me another champagne which was very nice. I was a little underwhelmed with the QF lounge, I was probably expecting a little more having recently visited the Lax and Hkg QF lounges. Maybe if I had eaten there that would have wowed me. If it is cocktails you are after the CX alcohol selection is help yourself whilst the QF lounge has two bars including the gin bar which may suite your needs. The CX First gets my vote overall. Enjoy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.