LAX - Priority Pass and other options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dw
Priority Pass options (as of 8/28/21)

There are currently 0 PP lounge options at LAX with their respective hours of operation for PP members:
  • Barney's Beanery (Terminal 2); 10:30 am-midnight removed from program 11/30/2018
  • Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (Terminal 2); 5:00 am-10:30am being converted to a Delta SkyClub. Delta signage already displayed outside April 2021
  • Campanile (Terminal 4) 6a-10p - restaurant with $28 credit removed from program in October 2018
  • Alaska Lounge (Terminal 6); 4:30 am-11:00 pm (4:30-10:00 pm Sundays) according to Priority Pass access is "temporarily suspended" effective July 26, 2021
  • Point the Way Cafe (Terminal 6); 1 pm-11 pm - restaurant with $28 credit (PP cards issued via American Express Platinum Card do not qualify) dropped out June 2021 after reopening
  • Korean (KAL) Lounge (TBIT); 11:00am-5:00pm report on FT in 8/2021 is that this lounge is no longer accepting PP
  • P.F. Chang's (TBIT) 11a-11p - restaurant with $28 credit removed from program October 2019
  • Rock & Brews (Terminal 1) 5:00am - 10:00 pm - restaurant with $28 credit (PP cards issued via American Express Platinum Card do not qualify)

Note that all terminals from T4 through T8, including TBIT, are connected airside, albeit not necessarily in the most passenger friendly manner. Expect multiple sets of stairs, escalators, long underground tunnels, and so on.Note that the Alaska Lounge has a tendency to deny access to priority pass holders due to "crowding" reasons.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love the direction they are going with expanding PP. This seems to be a better plan at managing growing pains than some of the Centurion lounges are having. I love having the choice to go to a restaurant or lounge instead of everyone cramming in the one option. LAX has 4 options now. My hope is that every airport has at least 1 lounge and 1 restaurant. To grab a decent burger and beer (and more) for no charge is a fantastic perk.
I agree it's clever, but I'm on the fence if it's better. Both my wife and I like the option, since it's part of our Amex membership, but getting into a lounge isn't about food, it's about escaping the bustle of the concourse and getting an armchair with a place to charge devices. The restaurant seating isn't necessarily more comfortable than the gate area, or quieter.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree it's clever, but I'm on the fence if it's better. Both my wife and I like the option, since it's part of our Amex membership, but getting into a lounge isn't about food, it's about escaping the bustle of the concourse and getting an armchair with a place to charge devices. The restaurant seating isn't necessarily more comfortable than the gate area, or quieter.
Yeah - while I like the additional options, at the end of the day the restaurant credits can run out pretty quick. An entree and a drink and you're done. I was recently in Australia where the PP credit is $36 AUD, or ~$27 USD. Pretty much all I could get was an appetizer salad and a glass of wine because of the prices there. I'd have preferred a lounge, but alas, there are 0 lounges that PP has in Aus.

My fav PP restaurant is still the Corona Beach House at MIA, not because it's good, it's fully mediocre, but because I can take my salad/sandwich and beer to go and don't have to put up with table service, tipping, etc. It isn't that i dislike people, but give me a self serve bar or food over table service in a lounge/
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah I just saw that Barneys is at LAX (odd it's not on the app but it is on the website). I think it's a creative solution to the lack of lounge issues and gives some very tangible benefits.

It seems those, sorry too full signs at the lounges are always there. I usually try to check in and it's never been a denial except once at IAH KLM lounge but they just said to go to the AF lounge 2 gates away.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:06 am

Barneys Beanery is a nice alternative to the ever denying Alaska lounge.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:25 am

That's a very helpful and timely walkumentary, Sonicsmash214! My reactions as follows.

(1) When you were in the Beanery, did you notice a dedicated area or counter for food to go? I'm hoping to avoid the line for tables, and just order, then grab and go. All this while using Priority Pass, of course. Was the service fast? From what I see on your table, $28, if spent on sandwiches alone, could get you quite a substantial haul. Maybe this airport shop doesn't charge any more than their non-airport shops?

(2) Your tour of the KAL Lounge is an eye-opener. The food, in particular, showed a decent variety and appeared to be quite appealing. Have they introduced vast improvements recently? Previous reports of their offerings were largely negative, but now you captured a pleasant surprise of no small proportions. You've radically changed my preconceptions of this lounge.

(3) Your walk from Bradley to T4 appeared to be a relaxed affair--almost leisurely. Was this your first time? It seemed so easy for you. The signs must be easy to spot and follow.

Thanks again for your report!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Likemiles
That's a very helpful and timely walkumentary, Sonicsmash214! My reactions as follows.

(1) When you were in the Beanery, did you notice a dedicated area or counter for food to go? I'm hoping to avoid the line for tables, and just order, then grab and go. All this while using Priority Pass, of course. Was the service fast? From what I see on your table, $28, if spent on sandwiches alone, could get you quite a substantial haul. Maybe this airport shop doesn't charge any more than their non-airport shops?

(2) Your tour of the KAL Lounge is an eye-opener. The food, in particular, showed a decent variety and appeared to be quite appealing. Have they introduced vast improvements recently? Previous reports of their offerings were largely negative, but now you captured a pleasant surprise of no small proportions. You've radically changed my preconceptions of this lounge.

(3) Your walk from Bradley to T4 appeared to be a relaxed affair--almost leisurely. Was this your first time? It seemed so easy for you. The signs must be easy to spot and follow.

Thanks again for your report!
Thank you for your kind words! You really made my day. At Barneys Beanery, there was a bar but I'm not too sure if there was a place to order to-go. I'm also not sure if the PP benefit applies to to-go orders since it doesn't seem to apply at DEN for Timberline Steakhouse. I can say that the $28/pp got us A LOT of food as you saw. We had 5 in our group so we had a lot of food. Each entree was around $11-15 so with $28 of credit, you could get about 2 entrees. Because we ordered a lot of food, our order took a bit long, but I'm sure if you came here alone or with one other person, service would be quick.

I have been to this lounge once prior to this and it has always been the same. I'm guessing the negative feedback was due to the lounge being an international lounge and therefore higher quality is expected. For me personally, a place with free snacks and appetizers, drinks, and a nice place to sit is all I need. Others may say otherwise.

I have used the terminal connector once before so I was somewhat familiar with the layout. If you follow the signs around, you'll get to where you need to be quite easily. I tried my best to explain it in the video and to show you what to look for so that you wouldn't get lost.

Once again thank you so much for your kind words! It really means a lot to me.

Last edited by sonicsmash214; Jul 6, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:00 pm

Priority Pass for LAX

Hi. I'm thinking about getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve card as one of the benefits is Priority Pass Membership. I mainly fly out of LAX for international flights, but rarely on KAL which appears to be the only lounge that's included in the pass. If I am flying on a different airline (not business or first class), will they allow me to use the KAL lounge with my PP?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by owlseeyouthere;29963856.
... If I am flying on a different airline (not business or first class), will they allow me to use the KAL lounge with my PP?
Yes, but there are other Priority Pass lounges and a restaurant at LAX. See the established thread:

(There are a also many other credit cards that provide Priority Pass.)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

The KAL lounge was the only one I saw for TBIT on the PP website. Are there other options?

I'm not only getting the Sapphire card just for PP - it's just one of the benefits I was looking into to while weighing which credit card might be best for our travel needs.

Thank you!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You are correct that KAL is the only lounge in that terminal. Note that it only accepts Priority Pass from Noon until 8:00pm

There will be an American Express Centurion lounge there next year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...it-2019-a.html
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by owlseeyouthere
The KAL lounge was the only one I saw for TBIT on the PP website. Are there other options?

I'm not only getting the Sapphire card just for PP - it's just one of the benefits I was looking into to while weighing which credit card might be best for our travel needs.

Thank you!
There's also the Alaska Lounge in T6, though KE is much nicer, as it seems to be the primary SkyTeam lounge. Supposedly some restaurants over in T2 I think? I've never been that way though.

I visited KE back in May flying SK and didn't have any trouble getting in with PP -- lots of seating. Food options were supermarket-quality sushi, some stale croissants, soup, fresh fruit (actually pretty good) and ramen noodles. Standard drink selection from a refrigerated case, and a bar around the back if you're feeling boozy. It's actually one of the better lounges I've been to in the PP network (probably 3rd, after HKG and ARN). I can provide some photos on request, if that helps at all.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've merged two threads here, so some recent posts may be oddly worded, but it at allows us to keep information in one place.

CWS/mod
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There will be an American Express Centurion lounge there next year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...it-2019-a.html
Though that won't be a Priority Pass lounge, so you'd need an Amex Platinum or Centurion card to access it; Chase Sapphire Reserve won't work.

In addition to the Alaska Lounge in Terminal 6 (which is often closed to PP cardholders due to crowding), there is also the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Terminal 2, which accepts PP between 5:00am and 10:45am.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by owlseeyouthere

Thank you!
Make sure you are there early for entry as a PP Member. There is usually a line and always a few people who don't "understand" how lines work? I've had to call out a few travelers a couple of times because the KAL agents usually won't if someone busts to the front. If you can make it into the Lounge it's not bad for PP, just busy.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: ITA
I will be flying out of LAX to FCO on Alitalia flight, business class. I understand I can access KAL lounge just because I fly in business, am I right? I don't have any other status.
I was reading above that for some categories access can be granted after noon only. Is it the case for me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.