Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Will TSA Allow Entry to a Terminal for Lounge Access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will TSA Allow Entry to a Terminal for Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:57 pm

I am a UA Club member. Recently, I had some time at DCA to 'kill', before flying out on AA (Terminal C); the UA Club is located in Terminal B. I obtained a gate pass at the UA check-in counter. While UA rules allow a gate pass for lounge access (with a same day boarding pass), the agent did everything she could to discourage me. That said, I had no issue at TSA, except that pre-check does not apply to gate passes.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by lamphs
I am a UA Club member. Recently, I had some time at DCA to 'kill', before flying out on AA (Terminal C); the UA Club is located in Terminal B. I obtained a gate pass at the UA check-in counter. While UA rules allow a gate pass for lounge access (with a same day boarding pass), the agent did everything she could to discourage me. That said, I had no issue at TSA, except that pre-check does not apply to gate passes.
It is my understanding that UA recently changed their policy to require a same-day boarding pass, on any airline, for Club access; staff may be able to print a gate pass should they see you have an alternative boarding pass, but the TSA should let you through the checkpoint anyways so whats the point? AFAIK AA still allows Admirals Club members access to the lounge for a "declared business purpose" which means meeting someone flying that day.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
It is my understanding that UA recently changed their policy to require a same-day boarding pass, on any airline, for Club access; staff may be able to print a gate pass should they see you have an alternative boarding pass, but the TSA should let you through the checkpoint anyways so whats the point? AFAIK AA still allows Admirals Club members access to the lounge for a "declared business purpose" which means meeting someone flying that day.
It was my intent to provide a data point specific to DCA. TSA would not allow me to access the UC without a boarding pass for the gates in that particular area. A gate pass, issued at the UA check-in counter, resolved the issue (showing the boarding pass for the AA flight). But obtaining the gate pass was another story. The UA agent wanted to know why I would want to access the lounge, "you know your pre-check status is not applicable to gate passes", "let me verify the rules before I can issue the pass", etc. It took about 20 minutes, once I was at the counter.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by lamphs
It took about 20 minutes, once I was at the counter.
Regardless of what the rules actually say, employees occasionally go on power trips. Sorry you had to deal with a DYKWIA behind the counter.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The issue I have encountered is that at large airports, there are often contract agents (such as Eulen America), working on behalf of the airlines, that police the entry to the lines, to make sure that only PreCheck pax are in the PreCheck line, Premium class pax are in the Priority line, verify carry-on luggage size/quantity, etc. Those agents sometimes will refuse to let you through without a boarding pass for an airline that departs from the specific terminal behind that checkpoint. You might need to ask for a supervisor ...
Or, just blow past them. They'll huff and puff, but just remind them they are NOT TSA, and go on about your business.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
With all due respect, absolutely not. Even minimally-trained contract agents deserve to be treated with common courtesy. If they are not familiar with your request and deny you, don't be rude--simply ask for a supervisor. Never just blow past them. If you do, they or their supervisors might decide to summon LEOs, and you could be arrested for attempting to circumvent airport security procedures--a very serious offense in today's world, and one that could land you on all sorts of unpleasant government lists.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ESpen36
... and you could be arrested for attempting to circumvent airport security procedures
They're NOT TSA. They may THINK they're vital to airport security, but that's about it.

One of 'em squeaked at ONT, and called for the attention of the TDC, who shrugged her off, checked my docs, and let me thru w/o incident.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

That may be the newish reality, But, Alaska Lounges will arrange for you to clear security even when you aren’t traveling IF you book their meeting room. That could come in handy if you were a member and needed to meet someone transiting the airport in one of the locations where they have a lounge.
A while ago, one could get access thru TSA with just one's AS BR card and an ID. No travel required. This is no longer the case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.