Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Timberline in Denver is super strict about the no take out box rule. I was there in October with a friend and they wouldn't let him take his half eaten dessert.
Interesting. I've been able to take leftovers from Timberline many times in the past.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Timberline in Denver is super strict about the no take out box rule. I was there in October with a friend and they wouldn't let him take his half eaten dessert.
So the big question is, did he finish the dessert or leave it behind?

Had another breakfast at SFO this morning before my Alaska SFO-BWI. Must be well over $200 now on paid meals between SFO and SYD just since November. Couldn't be happier.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
If you expect to have leftovers, I am guessing that you could perhaps take a plastic container with you from home and put your leftovers in that?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Bummer for Seattle is that the restaurant option (Floris I think it was called) is no longer accepting Priority Pass. The sign out front made it sound temporary, possibly related to the closure of the temporary closing of the Centurion Lounge. We'll see if it comes back.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I understand why some restaurants don't let you do to-go orders, but I was not allowed a to-go box after eating in, but due to slow service I received my food only 5 minutes before boarding time and had to go before I had a chance to eat it all. They told me PP customers aren't allowed to take their leftovers out of the restaurant. Is this being requested by PP, or does it somehow help the restaurant to have to throw away food already on the table instead of allowing people to take it away or what?
It should not be a PP policy, but restaurant make up policy.

IME - in SFO, I have only dined in once only and everything else are to-go orders for me. In one instances, I was an arrival passenger and I ordered from the 2 PP accepting restaurant to go just to take home.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Gig103
Bummer for Seattle is that the restaurant option (Floris I think it was called) is no longer accepting Priority Pass. The sign out front made it sound temporary, possibly related to the closure of the temporary closing of the Centurion Lounge. We'll see if it comes back.
Nothing on PP web site shows an "alternative lounge" in Seattle.
Was it ever listed as I gave up waiting for PP to have anything other than The Club lounges which aren't very good.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
IME - in SFO, I have only dined in once only and everything else are to-go orders for me. In one instances, I was an arrival passenger and I ordered from the 2 PP accepting restaurant to go just to take home.
It is abuse of this type that will ruin a good program for all.

The restaurant option is clearly designed for departing passengers as an alternative to a snack in a lounge. Not intended for you to stock your home frig on arrival.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boraxo

It is abuse of this type that will ruin a good program for all.

The restaurant option is clearly designed for departing passengers as an alternative to a snack in a lounge. Not intended for you to stock your home frig on arrival.
Before being righteous, can you point any authority that PP benefits are designed for departure only?

FWIW - I did not see that as an abuse. As a matter of fact, I could sit down and consume the food there. I simply chose not to and got the food to go.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Before being righteous, can you point any authority that PP benefits are designed for departure only?

FWIW - I did not see that as an abuse. As a matter of fact, I could sit down and consume the food there. I simply chose not to and got the food to go.
In my role as a lawyer I often say to my clients "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". While you are correct, there is no written rule that you can't hit up a restaurant after arriving and get food to take home with you, it is definitely against the spirit of the rules and something that could likely lead to this benefit disappearing.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
While you are correct, there is no written rule that you can't hit up a restaurant after arriving and get food to take home with you, it is definitely against the spirit of the rules and something that could likely lead to this benefit disappearing.
This is where I criticize you - if there is no rule, where is the spirit or intent?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
.... against the spirit of the rules .....
I am not persuaded this is true in the case of restaurants. Priority Pass is testing a new benefit with Grab, which allows food to be ordered through an app, and picked up at an airport restaurant for consumption elsewhere. That might mean on a flight, but it also might mean at home.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airport-takeout-faqs

https://getgrab.com/
TravelingNomads and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
This is where I criticize you - if there is no rule, where is the spirit or intent?
Technically, you’re spot on.

However, common sense and long-term courtesy would apply that “just because there’s a resource available to use doesn’t mean it should be taken advantage of up to the point the resource runs out or causes its availability to be discontinued.”

At Costco the other day, I saw some hilarious elderly ladies at the hot dog bar: They’d purchased the Coke and a hotdog $1.50 meal. Like a geriatric crime wave, they hit the condiment area: filling their now empty cups - one with relish, one with mustard. 24 ounces each of semi-purloined toppings later netted them what? - probably a score of $4?

There were no signs that said “don’t take 100 napkins in your purse for eventual home use” nor a “don’t fill up the Coke cups with as much ketchup as you are able to fit”, but lo, there it happened. Depression-era thrift combined with grandmotherly ingenuity. Kudos, ladies.

If Costco’s management saw this, there might BE some rules, with spirit and intent, printed up soon by the condiment bars nationwide. Because I don’t want detractions from my PP benefits that could be caused by program costs going up, I practice courtesy and only take what resources are appropriate. There’s admittedly going to be different levels of “appropriate” for different people and different circumstances - say I’ve got to catch a long flight in coach to Sydney, it may be deemed appropriate to stuff an extra snack into my backpack for the flight. Say my home pantry is out of honey, it may be deemed inappropriate to stuff ten jars of honey into my backpack on my departure. Just because there’s no law or rule doesn’t mean I don’t know how much “taking advantage of a resource” is too much.

TDM
Boraxo, strickerj and markandsmoke like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I don't know if this is a a rapid decline in service, but I have tried to use the AF Lounge in SFO more than once when flying JetBlue from the international terminal, but have never gotten in. They seem to restrict PP members to after the AF flight leaves. I'd love to have a lounge to make calls in.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I don't know if this is a a rapid decline in service, but I have tried to use the AF Lounge in SFO more than once when flying JetBlue from the international terminal, but have never gotten in. They seem to restrict PP members to after the AF flight leaves. I'd love to have a lounge to make calls in.
Note that this lounge has published new Priority Pass hours, effective Monday:

Please note new opening times effective 01APR19:

07:30 - 11:30 &
15:30 - 18:30 &
20:30 - 00:45 daily
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
However, common sense and long-term courtesy would apply that “just because there’s a resource available to use doesn’t mean it should be taken advantage of up to the point the resource runs out or causes its availability to be discontinued.”
I don't believe this is the case.

Was I abusing the benefit? Absolutely not. Why? To make thing simple - assuming I was the bad guy abusing the purported benefits, yet none of you could point out what policy or rule I have violated.

The problem with common sense and long-term courtesy is it can make no sense at all. Remember months ago, when CSR/Citi Prestige sponsored PP Select allowed a larger number of guests. So these PP holders brought their entire families into the PP lounges and made them like zoos. Did that make them abusing the benefits? Some of you did express this as an abuse. However, this was actually allowed by the membership. In that case, when the so-called common sense and long-term courtesy said these people were wrong, they actually did nothing incorrectly.

Also - on the other hand, when you say courtesy, does that mean we should limit ourselves in term of lounge usage as well, so that others can get in as well? I don't think anyone will ever do that.

And the Costco example is nowhere near this situation. I have no doubt that those elderly were abusing. But again - I was purchasing food order below the personal limit PP allows (FWIW - it is easier than you think for you to claim benefits for 2 persons, even I have never tried that). And the PP does not set a limit how many times you can use it a day. So on that basis, if I was wrong, I was as guilty as those lounge hopping people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.