Reload this Page >

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:10 pm

Interesting, I've held off on getting more cards but you made good points.

I am usually flying American through Philadelphia, does that change your response?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by garykung
2. Most people do not pay for the PP membership. Even they believe they pay for the membership through their credit card annual fee, the reality is not.
Obviously the CC customer must ultimately pay for it. Be it as part of an annual fee or in the form of higher prices at credit card accepting merchants (clearly, any profitable merchant rolls over all costs to customers, including the cost of commissions and charges for the credit card transaction).

Sorry to say - when a lounge decides to charge for access, it is clear enough to say that the lounge is money-oriented. It is unlikely (although with some exceptions) any paid lounges are actually nice.
This seems a naive conception as well. Every lounge charges for access. Either the customer pays directly (say, via a walk-up fee) or indirectly (in case another airline/program is responsible, there is a monetary fee as well; in case the own airline/program is responsible, there is a transfer price to be paid). In the latter case, ultimately, those costs are rolled over to customers (again assuming airlines and programs aren't operating at a loss).

Last edited by 1flyer; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:06 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Obviously the CC customer must ultimately pay for it. Be it as part of an annual fee or in the form of higher prices at credit card accepting merchants (clearly, any profitable merchant rolls over all costs to customers, including the cost of commissions and charges for the credit card transaction).
Using the same logic, is that mean a cashier of your local grocery store work for you instead of the grocery store, as soon as you buy grocery there?

Also - while the true cost of the PP to the issuers remains as an unknown, it is very likely that your AF may not be able to cover the cost, at least for the first year. So does that really mean you pay for it?

Originally Posted by 1flyer
This seems a naive conception as well. Every lounge charges for access. Either the customer pays directly (say, via a walk-up fee) or indirectly (in case another airline/program is responsible, there is a monetary fee as well; in case the own airline/program is responsible, there is a transfer price to be paid). In the latter case, ultimately, those costs are rolled over to customers (again assuming airlines and programs aren't operating at a loss).
No offense - but you are talking to a top-tier frequent flyer who only purchased the cheapest tickets and get lounge access every single time even without using PP. So tell me - what is my cost?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
No offense - but you are talking to a top-tier frequent flyer who only purchased the cheapest tickets and get lounge access every single time even without using PP. So tell me - what is my cost?
For me, the cost is built into my JPM-R annual fee of $150 ($450-$300 travel credits). But that fee also covers a whole host of other perks including United Club access, a host of top notch travel insurance benefits, ability to earn Chase UR points, etc. One could easily argue that the cost of PP access is $0 to me as I would pay the AF anyway if PP benefit was discontinued. In reality it is probably somewhere <$10 as I use the UCs about 10x more than PP lounges.

All this is a non-sequitur to the discussion of whether the benefit is rapidly deteriorating - or as I would argue - rapidly increasing due to the addition of almost 2 dozen restaurants in North America, which offer me far more value than a few AS lounges.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:03 pm

The restaurant access is nice, and does add value, but does not cater well to business travelers who could just expense the meal anyway. It's far more beneficial to have a quiet area to relax with some light food/drink, which is still lacking in most US airports as an option for PriorityPass holders.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Snuggs
Think I read somewhere in this thread an issue w bkk access. Was there 11 mos ago, and hit 4 pp clubs w no problem. Some better than others, but I would consider all of them good to excellent.
Flying TG924 BKK to MUC in economy which departs at 12:50 AM from I believe International Concourse A. Flying with wife and two kids aged 7 and 10 and we have one CSR PPS card and 2 additional ones from AMEX Hilton cards with 10 visits allowed per card.

Which is the best Priority Pass at BKK in general and Concourse A in particular assuming we start boarding around midnight? And which card to use, the AMEX or the CSR affiliated one?

Thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
The restaurant access is nice, and does add value, but does not cater well to business travelers who could just expense the meal anyway.
I am a business traveler and the Priority Pass Select suits me well. I'm paid a fixed per diem. When I use the Priority Pass card that I pad for, I pocket the per diem.
Segments likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz

Which is the best Priority Pass at BKK in general and Concourse A in particular assuming we start boarding around midnight? And which card to use, the AMEX or the CSR affiliated one?

Thank you!
check the master thread for BKK lounges (in TG or Thailand forums). The Louis Tavern lounges are nothing special but maybe better than TG lounges. SQ is the best if you have *G status.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Flying TG924 BKK to MUC in economy which departs at 12:50 AM from I believe International Concourse A. Flying with wife and two kids aged 7 and 10 and we have one CSR PPS card and 2 additional ones from AMEX Hilton cards with 10 visits allowed per card.

Thank you!
Too many lounges ago to recall anything specific, other than at least one of them requested physical card vs digital.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I have been at both and haven't felt pleased. Food was acceptable, everything else well below of what the lounge should be. At the same time, it's in line with what you usually see at Indian airports.
Blossom lounge n T4 wasn't up to much either. At least it had Gin&Tonic and a shower though I guess
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For me, the cost is built into my JPM-R annual fee of $150 ($450-$300 travel credits). But that fee also covers a whole host of other perks including United Club access, a host of top notch travel insurance benefits, ability to earn Chase UR points, etc. One could easily argue that the cost of PP access is $0 to me as I would pay the AF anyway if PP benefit was discontinued. In reality it is probably somewhere <$10 as I use the UCs about 10x more than PP lounges.

All this is a non-sequitur to the discussion of whether the benefit is rapidly deteriorating - or as I would argue - rapidly increasing due to the addition of almost 2 dozen restaurants in North America, which offer me far more value than a few AS lounges.
What is JPM-R?
Chase has Saphire Reserve for $450.00 which does not include United club Access.
PP restaurants are very limited and PP ignores many airports where at times zero access to lounges like in Sea-Tac Seattle. AS dropped PP access in Seattle.
The Club has at time posted NO PP Access between certain hours. PP refuses o ADD alternative lounges in Seattle or San Francisco (domestic) where no lounge is available.

I could make a few more comments about Chase travel insurance loophole gimmicks that are far worse than other banks but I'll stop at this point.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by maura1025
Any idea if Philadelphia is due to get any more priority pass lounges? They just have that minute lounge, which is not great...

Thanks!
Minute Lounge at PHL is pathetic.

PP will NOT add any more lounge options even refusing to add alternate lounge restaurants.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:46 am

Using the same logic, is that mean a cashier of your local grocery store work for you instead of the grocery store, as soon as you buy grocery there?

Also - while the true cost of the PP to the issuers remains as an unknown, it is very likely that your AF may not be able to cover the cost, at least for the first year. So does that really mean you pay for it?

Can you explain what lounges you get into without PP in location and why? Flying "cheap" as you state will not get you into the airline lounges and without PP curious of your claim.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by euromannn
What is JPM-R?
JP Morgan private bank enhanced version of Sapphire Reserve. Discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...palladium.html

.... PP ignores ....PP refuses
Do you have any evidence to support the use of these pejorative terms? The fact that Priority Pass has not opened lounges at specific airports may be because they are "unable" to do so, or that they have different priorities and will offer more at those airports in due course.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
What is JPM-R?
Chase has Saphire Reserve for $450.00 which does not include United club Access.
PP restaurants are very limited and PP ignores many airports where at times zero access to lounges like in Sea-Tac Seattle. AS dropped PP access in Seattle.
The Club has at time posted NO PP Access between certain hours. PP refuses o ADD alternative lounges in Seattle or San Francisco (domestic) where no lounge is available.

I could make a few more comments about Chase travel insurance loophole gimmicks that are far worse than other banks but I'll stop at this point.
(1) This is not a Chase issue - anybody with PP access (including Amex, CNB and even those who buy PP memberships from PP) face the same issues
(2) As extensively discussed, PP is much weaker in USA than other countries - has gotten worse over the last 2 decades as all of the legacy carriers (UA,CO,DL,US,AA) have pulled their non-hub lounges from PP program.
(3) Addition of PP restaurants is a huge plus for some of us but not useful to others who prefer a "quiet" private lounge. Examples: (a) just last week Mrs. B & I had a stellar free breakfast at Yankee Pier at SFO, which was much closer to our gate than the UA Club or PP lounge at SFO international terminal) (b) earlier this month had a nice free lunch at Giants Clubhouse at SFO, which was directly across from my gate.
(4) CSR does not have UC access but the real annual fee is $150 after you net out $300 in easy travel credits. JPM-R is a premium product similar to CSR - you can read about it in the Chase forum.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.