Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woodford02A
I am based in the US, and have had this problem occur in the US, Europe and South America
Providing 4 instances of not being allowed into the lounge or kicked out over 3 continents? More specifics would be helpful. How many successful Priority Pass lounge visits have you had in the same timeframe?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Providing 4 instances of not being allowed into the lounge or kicked out over 3 continents? More specifics would be helpful. How many successful Priority Pass lounge visits have you had in the same timeframe?
The AS lounges are the usual suspects. I did recently try to access The Club at DFW, and was denied (I thought PP owned The Club brand). Not that I intended to stay. Just wanted to check it out.

Hopefully it'll be less of a problem when a bunch of people fail to renew their CSR cards when that hefty AF comes up. That stupid thing ruined the MSP Escape lounge, and has indeed harmed PP lounges across the system.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Isn't there another thread complaining Centurion lounges being overcrowded?

Well, first wave of renewals and annual fees is coming due this August. Will be interesting how many stick around, and how it affects number of PP holders.
This will be interesting to experience as the AF comes up in the next 1-3 months for majority who signed up during the initial CSR frenzy.

One thing is that PP is a privilege and the mass influx of PP via credit cards seem like a fairly new phenomenon. And the PP will lose its "premium" status with the huge amount of people coming in...and that probably isn't good business for the frequent traveler who use PP and such lounges on a regular basis.

And unfortuantely while $450/year is relatively high in the credit card annual fee world....for many fliers (especially on this board and most DEFINITELY for many who are used to visiting lounges at the airport....) that $450/year is not that much at all in terms of price and certainly is not exclusive enough to keep the masses away.

But again should be interesting as the 1st year anniversary of the CSR comes up soon...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well I was considering both the Amex Plat and CSR but I'm guessing now that I'm better off keeping my MP Explorer and just purchase a United Club membership.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:57 pm

It certainly doesnt help that Prestige cardholders can no longer access the AA lounges
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I haven't used my PP in a little while. I originally had one through AMEX Plat, and then Citi Prestige and then the CSR.

Traveling frequently for work (and being a very infrequent drinker, and non-drinker when flying for work), I used PP lounges to grab a bite here and there or have space to work. I really noticed overcrowding and lounges turning away people when the CSR hit the market. The bloggers are a double-edged sword: great for learning information from, but sometimes that's a curse in disguise.

It turned many average consumers into free-alcohol hungry, celery-stick mongering fiends (at least IME). I quickly stopped going to PP lounges and instead went to DL lounges.

Funny that I used to use PP to escape DL SCs and now it's the other way around. I, too, am interested to see what happens when the first round of AFs hit, though I predict there won't be too many dropoffs since any lounge access for most of the market is better than none (regardless of how dirty and understaffed they are). There is an emotional feeling connected with accessing an "exclusive" space, no matter how non-exclusive it is.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Nearly all lounges which accept Priority Pass use it to monetize excess capacity. They have other visitors who are more important. Many are contract lounges that serve specific airlines with only a few flights per day. If Priority Pass members interfere with the lounges' ability to accommodate their contract customers, the Priority Pass members will be declined or asked to leave.

Demand for lounge visits apparently exceeds capacity. What, specifically, would you have American Express do?
Then the word "Priority" probably shouldn't be in the product name don't you think?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
PP is just a network of lounges operated by many different individual 3rd parties and airlines. Thus, the quality of lounge varies drastically from airport to airport. In some developing countries or small airports, the lounges are really awful. Can you blame PP for this? Would you rather they just don't provide access at all to these mediocre lounges?

I've had around 20-25 lounge visits with PP per year for the last 3 years and I haven't noticed any significant differences. There are big weaknesses in the network, yes, such as poor coverage in the USA. And the quality of lounges varies from luxurious to worse-than-the-terminal. But I don't see much changing.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS
Isn't there another thread complaining Centurion lounges being overcrowded?

Well, first wave of renewals and annual fees is coming due this August. Will be interesting how many stick around, and how it affects number of PP holders.
Same thought here, with many going for the initial point bonus and double travel credit, not sure how many will renew membership this fall. With PP being limited or declined at many lounges, many no longer see the value in the CSR product.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

I think it's being felt more in LAX where access to the Maple Leaf Lounge was lost, as well as the Virgin Clubhouse (as it no longer there) . I've read comments that the Alaskan Boardroom has either denied guests or not allowed PP holders to guest because of over crowding.

I hope that if they don't open their own club lounge that perhaps they can contract with a restaurant like they did in LGW.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:16 pm

I agree with OP; it's listed as a benefit and if you can't use it then it's no longer a benefit and shouldn't be sold as such. I was at PDX yesterday and saw the sign about no access for PP members. I don't fault Alaska for implementing this at their lounge necessarily, but PP is failing its members if they aren't actually granted access as they would expect. And yes, this is a symptom of churning hysteria. I actually got into the Alaska lounge at LAX and it was pretty packed and kind of unpleasant, so I see both sides of the argument. However, something needs to be done to make it fair for all parties.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

As a CSR PP member, I have been disappointed with the quality of the PP lounges but it's free so I don't complain too much. I haven't been denied yet and so far I have been to 7 lounges in Vancouver, Dallas, Hong Kong, Chengdu, and Seoul.

The PP lounge at DFW was so small and crowded, that I shouldn't have bothered leaving the AA lounge. The one in Hong Kong was also disappointing so I just stayed at the Cathay Pacific Business lounge. The one in Chengdu was better. I had access to 3 lounges at ICN and those were better since they belong to Asiana, Delta, and Korean Air and those weren't too crowded.

And I hate to say it, but the class of people at the PP lounges seem not on par to the business/first class lounges.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WWads
Hopefully it'll be less of a problem when a bunch of people fail to renew their CSR cards when that hefty AF comes up. That stupid thing ruined the MSP Escape lounge, and has indeed harmed PP lounges across the system.
No impact at all. CSR is the latest to join the game. The problem occurs way before that.

Unless the total outstanding of all 3 cards decrease, it will only get worse. The best is level.

Originally Posted by seat38a
Well I was considering both the Amex Plat and CSR but I'm guessing now that I'm better off keeping my MP Explorer and just purchase a United Club membership.
There is a reason why UA left PP.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Get rid of free guests and you start making progress toward a better lounge experience.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rooney
... if you can't use it then it's no longer a benefit and shouldn't be sold as such.....
This isn't a binary yes/no situation. Priority Pass offers 1,000+ lounges. Some of them are crowded, some of them are unappealing, but that doesn't zero out the value of the benefit for everyone. The realistic alternative is to carry the AA, DL or US co-branded card which bundles a lounge membership for your primary carrier. If your primary carrier is DL you have two choices, but with the others it is simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.