FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Copenhagen Alternatives - Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1908553-copenhagen-alternatives-questions.html)

miles4sheli May 9, 2018 11:31 am

Copenhagen Alternatives - Questions

Hi,

I have previously traveled to Copenhagen using AAdvantage Awards on Air Berlin. Obviously, this is no longer possible. I was curious what frequent travelers to CPH are doing now. I have several options with AA partners, but my days are not so flexible and there is little availability.

I am also looking at flying in to another city with availability and purchasing a paid ticket to CPH. I have done that before to other destinations. What city would be recommended by those who use this method?

I know flying into another city and taking a train is also a viable option, but I am not sure where to begin. In your experience, what is the easiest European city to fly to and take a train to CPH?

THANKS in advance for your advice!

ralfkrippner May 10, 2018 8:47 am

It would probably help if you could state from where you're travelling and if you're only interested in oneworld flights or other airlines, too.

GUWonder May 11, 2018 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner (Post 29738274)
It would probably help if you could state from where you're travelling and if you're only interested in oneworld flights or other airlines, too.

From the US to Denmark. Given what’s been said, it seems the OP is open to taking non-Oneworld flights too.

As a frequent US-CPH passenger, I suggest looking at using miles from Star Alliance carriers. With LH, LX. UA, and SK flights, I find the most award availability for such trips without getting taken to the cleaners by the airlines’ fuel surcharge (by whatever name it goes) scam scheme. Using AA miles/Oneworld for such trips is now mostly an inconvenience, a rip-off, or both. Using DL miles for such trips on SkyTeam flights is rather bad too.

miles4sheli May 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks ralfkrippner and GUWonder, for your replies. Yes, I'm coming from the U.S. If I can't fly all the way on AAdvantage miles, I would at least like to use them to get to Europe and then perhaps do one of the 2 alternatives I listed, paying for either a short haul flight or train ticket, those carriers wouldn't matter. I would like some input on which alternate city is best to fly into and then connect to Copenhagen by either option.

THANKS!

GUWonder May 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by miles4sheli (Post 29743793)
Thanks ralfkrippner and GUWonder, for your replies. Yes, I'm coming from the U.S. If I can't fly all the way on AAdvantage miles, I would at least like to use them to get to Europe and then perhaps do one of the 2 alternatives I listed, paying for either a short haul flight or train ticket, those carriers wouldn't matter. I would like some input on which alternate city is best to fly into and then connect to Copenhagen by either option.

THANKS!

Gothenburg or Hamburg is what I would consider if push came to shove and stuck with wanting to use AA miles in conjunction with rail. But then you’re pretty much left with the hassle of trying to avoid BA flights as much as possible and having trouble finding award availability for Spain-CPH/GOT/HAM. Finnair TATL award availability is often poor and if it works, don’t expect much luck of having a convenient connection using miles to get to/from CPH on AY.

Star Alliance points/miles are the way to go if you can get them. Then if you can get AA into anywhere AA flies in Europe, you have decent options to fly using miles to fly a European Star Alliance carrier infra-Europe.