Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Finally Niki goes back to Niki Lauda

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:55 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson

The austrian insolvency court has ruled. Lauda is told to already have reached an agreement to get back 15 of Nikis 21 planes currently in posession of Lufthansa.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Reuters
Lauda beats IAG in battle to buy airline Niki

VIENNA (Reuters) - Former Formula One champion Niki Lauda has beaten out British Airways owner IAG and others to make the winning takeover bid for Niki, the airline he founded, Niki’s administrators said on Tuesday.

Lauda’s successful bid scuppers a previously agreed sale of Niki to IAG, which was thrown into doubt this month after two courts ruled that the insolvency proceedings had to move to Austria from Germany.

That paved the way for other interested parties, such as Ryanair and Lauda, to bid for the carrier, which most recently was part of failed airline Air Berlin. Niki’s creditors met on Monday to pick the best bid, and their meeting ran into Tuesday.

“In the early hours of this morning Laudamotion GmbH emerged from a transparent bidding process as the best bidder,” Niki’s Austrian and German administrators, Ulla Reisch and Lucas Floether, said in a brief joint statement, referring to a company controlled by Lauda.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Unbelievable. What the heck’s going to happen now? While I would love an airline like NIKI to come back to life, I just don’t see it happening in this economic climate.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

The way LH, Thomas Cook, Easyjet, Ryanair, Vueling and IHG have bid for Niki I guess it is safe to expect that Niki has been profitable most of the time and has great potential. With the founder Niki Lauda as CEO and chief pilot they get lots of goodwill, free marketing and industry contacts. I wouldn't be surprised if Niki 2.0 would be profitable from day one.
headingwest, nsiotto and wxman22 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
The way LH, Thomas Cook, Easyjet, Ryanair, Vueling and IHG have bid for Niki I guess it is safe to expect that Niki has been profitable most of the time and has great potential. With the founder Niki Lauda as CEO and chief pilot they get lots of goodwill, free marketing and industry contacts. I wouldn't be surprised if Niki 2.0 would be profitable from day one.

Lauda Airlines did not flourish under Niki Lauda with all his rich friends, free publicity and high quality service. Maybe Niki Lauda’s presence in a low cost carrier will yield better results?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I guess we have to wait and see.

airliners.de is reporting that the name is to be changed. New name not yet known.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
LADA? Guess there might be some rights issues there, though!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I guess we have to wait and see.

airliners.de is reporting that the name is to be changed. New name not yet known.
Let's hope they come up with a better logo too!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LaudaMotion is slowly taking shape, 11 A32S aircraft, five of which will operate for TC, 3 will fly wetlease for EW.

Lauda Motion fliegt auch mit ehemaligen Eurowings-Maschinen - airliners.de
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by pgppetch

Lauda Airlines did not flourish under Niki Lauda with all his rich friends, free publicity and high quality service. Maybe Niki Lauda’s presence in a low cost carrier will yield better results?
Now, that's funny. You must not know Lauda that well. What rich friends or friends in general do you refer to?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Bizarre!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8264471.html
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
Bizarre!
Bizarre indeed. Can't see the big picture yet.

They're offering flights on their website already www.laudamotion.com , e.g. DUS-Ibiza from May 1st on, oneway starting from 59,- (I've only seen availability starting from 109,- upwards). German airports listed are HAJ, DUS, CGN, FRA, STR. Destinations are Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Italy. Sales engine is mentioned to be Condor's.

Interesting grouping of airline assets...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

And what do you think about this?

© Flughafen Düsseldorf GmbH
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
And what do you think about this?

© Flughafen Düsseldorf GmbH
Can't go any cheaper, can you?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
Lauda is a champ. Managed to start three airlines and sell them all. One airline even twice, quite a record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.