Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

no availability FRA-TXL from Nov 1st onwards; LH adds 744 service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:43 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson

Had to book flights for Oct/Nov FRA TXL and just saw that from Nov 1st onwards all AB flights are J4C4D0 Y9B9H0. Up untill Oct 31st normal availability is shown.

Starting one day later LH offers one or both of the morning flights leaving FRA 7:45 and 8:45 and the immediate returns as 744 services on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

On Thursday Nov 16 there are even 3 daily 744s. And from Mon Nov 20 on there is at least one daily 744 return incl. the weekends.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Same availability picture on AB from Nov 1st on for DUS-TXL and MUC-TXL.

Looks like AB plans to cease to operate short haul services on Nov 1st.

Will book some flight on Oct 31st as my personal good bye from AB...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Starting one day later LH offers one or both of the morning flights leaving FRA 7:45 and 8:45 and the immediate returns as 744 services on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

On Thursday Nov 16 there are even 3 daily 744s. And from Mon Nov 20 on there is at least one daily 744 return incl. the weekends.
Am I right in thinking that's going to be lot of fun boarding (in the dark with rain/snow/hail), since I don't believe 744s fit onto airbidges at TXL. And also imagine the queue at gate security if they did!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Had to book flights for Oct/Nov FRA TXL and just saw that from Nov 1st onwards all AB flights are J4C4D0 Y9B9H0.
That's not new - it's been the case since the end of August.

Originally Posted by Routesonline
30 August 2017 03:30

airberlin recently adjusted its inventory in the reservation system, which sees selected long-haul routes to be closed between September and November 2017. Additionally, the airline’s long-haul routes from Dusseldorf, is still available for reservation on/after 01NOV17, however only higher-fare category is available for booking at present time.

Reservation for following routes is now closed:
Berlin Tegel – Abu Dhabi 1 of 2 daily closed for reservation (AB7492/7495) from 17SEP17, all 2 daily closed from 30SEP17
Berlin Tegel – Chicago O’Hare Reservation closed from 01OCT17
*Berlin Tegel – Los Angeles Reservation closed from 03OCT17
Berlin Tegel – Miami Reservation closed from 02NOV17
*Berlin Tegel – San Francisco Reservation closed from 01OCT17
Dusseldorf – Boston Reservation closed from 01OCT17

* Previously scheduled as summer-seasonal service until late-Oct 2017.

As of 29AUG17, Following long-haul routes is only bookable in full-fare J/Y/B-class from 01NOV17:
Berlin Tegel – New York JFK
Dusseldorf – Cancun
Dusseldorf – Chicago O’Hare (eff 02MAY18)
Dusseldorf – Curacao
Dusseldorf – Fort Myers
Dusseldorf – Havana
Dusseldorf – Los Angeles
Dusseldorf – Miami
Dusseldorf – New York JFK
Dusseldorf – Orlando
Dusseldorf – Puerto Plata
Dusseldorf – Punta Cana
Dusseldorf – San Francisco
Dusseldorf – Varadero

airberlin’s Dusseldorf – Toronto route, scheduled from 01MAY18, is still available for booking in all class of service. From 01NOV17, airberlin codeshare service operated by ETIHAD, including flights beyond Abu Dhabi, is also closed for bookings.

Also as of 29AUG17. on most airberlin-aircraft operating Medium-haul and short-haul routes, service is only available for booking in full-fare J/C/Y/B-class from 01NOV17.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Haven't seen anything anounced about the short haul routes so far.

Untill a few days ago there was regular availability for Nov and Dec flights at least for my regular FRA-TXL route.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Am I right in thinking that's going to be lot of fun boarding (in the dark with rain/snow/hail), since I don't believe 744s fit onto airbidges at TXL. And also imagine the queue at gate security if they did!
:-D I'll see nov 24th on one of these flights... Front row seat on the 744 is reserved...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That route must have been one of the few, then; as routesonline said in August, "on most airberlin-aircraft operating Medium-haul and short-haul routes, service is only available for booking in full-fare J/C/Y/B-class from 01NOV17".

Based on your report, I guess we can surmise that the few routes that were not thus limited, have now been done so - so that the entire network can now only be booked in J/C/Y/B from 01NOV17 departures.

It was not really expected that any AB routes would still actually be in operation beyond 01NOV17, anyway...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Looks like AB plans to cease to operate short haul services on Nov 1st.

Will book some flight on Oct 31st as my personal good bye from AB...
If somebody wants to join me: I'll be flying Oct 31 FRA-TXL AB6588 15:40 and the return TXL-FRA AB6597 19:00.

2A is reserved for both flights.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a nice way to spend Reformationstag ^

I would join you if I could, but the Netherlands doesn't give any public holidays in the second half of the year....at least not between Pfingsten und Weihnachten!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
If somebody wants to join me: I'll be flying Oct 31 FRA-TXL AB6588 15:40 and the return TXL-FRA AB6597 19:00.

2A is reserved for both flights.
I would like to join you. I will see what I can work out. But isn't it a bit of a risk booking these flights? But what's life without a bit of risk?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
I would like to join you. I will see what I can work out. But isn't it a bit of a risk booking these flights? But what's life without a bit of risk?
Would be very nice! I booked as flex fare so that it could be moved if they decide to end this route earlier and I booked with a credit card with travel cancellation / interruption insurance - so at limited risk.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Would be very nice! I booked as flex fare so that it could be moved if they decide to end this route earlier and I booked with a credit card with travel cancellation / interruption insurance - so at limited risk.
Oh I don't know if I have those advantages on any of my credit cards (M&M credit card World Plus, UBS Switzerland MC, Payback AMEX, BahnCard MC). And isn't a flex fare rather dear?

EDIT: I just saw, it is EUR219 something, which really isn't dear. But I'm not sure I have the credit card protections.

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 27, 2017 at 2:54 pm Reason: updated info
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:10 pm

German M&M CCs have some kind of travel insurance, but I haven't had to file any claim against them so can't vouch for it's usefulness.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:10 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
never mind...

Last edited by Fyd; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Would have loved to do in a 744 flight in upper deck J - unfortunately all LH flights show as 321 Service now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.