BOS-DUS rebooked JFK-DUS - best response?

Old Sep 18, 17, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
BOS-DUS rebooked JFK-DUS - best response?

My aunt was booked BOS-DUS on AB. She received an email advising her that she had been rebooked on JFK-DUS, also operated by AB. No offer of a BOS-NYC connection

A call with an (understandably stressed) call centre agent resulted in the advice that this would be all AB would do, travel down to NYC to be at her own expense.

what is the best way to respond? Hang up and call again? (Somewhat painful, given the long wait and aggressive agents.) Any other ideas?

Given the bankruptcy situation I am assuming that paying up front for a train or flight would be equivalent to just eating the cost, correct?

This is the return leg, to take place in a week's time, she has already taken the outbound.

many thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Sep 18, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Please take a look at this thread, from post 282 and forward, it comments on this same identical issue. This is probably the best that can be done.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...ruptcy-10.html
Old Sep 18, 17, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
My aunt was booked BOS-DUS on AB. She received an email advising her that she had been rebooked on JFK-DUS, also operated by AB. No offer of a BOS-NYC connection

A call with an (understandably stressed) call centre agent resulted in the advice that this would be all AB would do, travel down to NYC to be at her own expense.

what is the best way to respond? Hang up and call again? (Somewhat painful, given the long wait and aggressive agents.) Any other ideas?

Given the bankruptcy situation I am assuming that paying up front for a train or flight would be equivalent to just eating the cost, correct?

This is the return leg, to take place in a week's time, she has already taken the outbound.

many thanks in advance for any advice.
There is no response. AB has cancelled its BOS service and all that is left is JFK. Your mother is due a rebooking which includes BOS-JFK, but AB can't provide that because it has no money to do so and if she purchases a ticket to JFK she will have a claim against AB, but it will never be paid.

One option, presuming that she paid with a US CC is to call the issuer and determine whether the issuer will sustain a chargeback dispute based on AB's cancellation of her ticketed flight due to insolvency. If so, cancel the ticket and initiate a chargeback. Then purchase a new ticket on another carrier.

Bear in mind that if you purchase a BOS-JFK ticket for your mother and AB later can't operate the JFK service, you are stuck with the BOS-JFK ticket (unless it is refundable).
Old Sep 19, 17, 12:36 pm

Given the current situation, the offer made by AB is unfortunately the best travelers can still expect from them. Provided the ticket was issued by AB and you do not have any applicable insurance to cover the cancelled flight to BOS, I'd say the best is to accept it.
Maybe you can check whether some insurance of yours covers the cost of getting home from JFK.
Old Sep 19, 17, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks @geosch @Often1 and @arollins.

Ended up getting an avios redemption for BOS-JFK on AA with plenty of transfer time at JFK, cost effective and reasonably flexible.
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:28 pm

Don't forget that AA, unlike other carriers, will rebook if you no show for the AB flight even though your mother is neither connecting nor on one ticket. A side benefit of that choice. Any rebooking would likely be on AA/BA via LHR.
Old Sep 20, 17, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Don't forget that AA, unlike other carriers, will rebook if you no show for the AB flight even though your mother is neither connecting nor on one ticket. A side benefit of that choice. Any rebooking would likely be on AA/BA via LHR.
yes, thank you, that was part of my thinking in case there are issues with the BOS-JFK.

Asking them to rebook her in case AB doesn't operate the JFK-DUS is a bit too much though I suspect...
Old Sep 20, 17, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
yes, thank you, that was part of my thinking in case there are issues with the BOS-JFK.

Asking them to rebook her in case AB doesn't operate the JFK-DUS is a bit too much though I suspect...
Of course. If AB cancels the frequency, I don't think that AA will step in. But, if she is late into JFK, she doesn't face the ordinary mess of having to purchase a new ticket onward to DUS.
TravellingSalesman likes this.

Search this Thread