Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Double Whammy! Speculation, anyone?

Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others

As only the powers of air travel could design, I am booked from PMO to FCO on AZ then FCO to TXL on AB. Anyone ever think they'd be on an itinerary on two airlines that filed bankruptcy? So, the itinerary is still valid (Nov 7) and anything could happen. Of course, nobody knows for sure but I am nervous the AB flight might go away.

Now speculation......both flights are booked through AZ and have AZ flight numbers but the second leg is operated by and is actually on AB. Should I worry now or wait?

Hey, maybe someone will come along and rescue AB by then!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Worry NOW seriously as this will not happen....no way! At least you will not be flying AB for sure!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The AB flight will not happen. You will have to ask AZ to rebook you onto an alternative. They should be able to do that. AZ will survive this mess, AB wont. So you can remain relatively calm. Plenty of options to get from FCO to TXL.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:28 am

When I posted something similar about a PRG-TXL flight in December many told me I was worrying unnecessarily. I've tried to read a bit about what's changed, but have the cancelled short hauls past some point already?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

AB will cease to exist in its current form by end of November. I personally seriously doubt the new owners/vultures that will gouge themselves on the remaining carcass will take over the liability to transport the passengers AB sold tickets to.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by auher
When I posted something similar about a PRG-TXL flight in December many told me I was worrying unnecessarily. I've tried to read a bit about what's changed, but have the cancelled short hauls past some point already?
That's not what you were told at all:

The very first response in your thread was this:

Originally Posted by arollins
You have a flight in December, certainly suggest to get another routing, please read this thread on a similar question, but flights in Sept. In particular post # 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...september.html
When it was determined that you were not travelling on an AB-issued ticket, you were advised that the airline or agent that issued the ticket would need to act upon it once the AB sectors contained therein were cancelled.

While AB have announced lots of cancellations on the longhaul network, I am not aware of any cancellations being announced yet on the shorthaul network.

You were advised to wait until such time as the agent is FORCED to do something as a result of a cancellation of your PRG-TXL-CDG sectors; if you jump the gun, you end up footing the bill for all the changes. Why do something now at perhaps considerable cost to yourself [most likely as the changes would end up rerouting you away from your CDG-departing longhaul], that you will be able to do for free, perhaps as soon as next week?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...rger-itin.html
JPG3392 likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 14, 2017 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's not what you were told at all:

The very first response in your thread was this:

When it was determined that you were not travelling on an AB-issued ticket, you were advised that the airline or agent that issued the ticket would need to act upon it once the AB sectors contained therein were cancelled.

While AB have announced lots of cancellations on the longhaul network, I am not aware of any cancellations being announced yet on the shorthaul network.

You were advised to wait until such time as the agent is FORCED to do something as a result of a cancellation of your PRG-TXL-CDG sectors; if you jump the gun, you end up footing the bill for all the changes. Why do something now at perhaps considerable cost to yourself [most likely as the changes would end up rerouting you away from your CDG-departing longhaul], that you will be able to do for free, perhaps as soon as next week?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...rger-itin.html
Yes, I was simplifying it - you are right. What I was confused by is that now it seems to be a foregone conclusion on this forum that the flights will cease in a month or two and I was wondering if this was some new news or just speculation.

My plans remain unchanged - to wait for a cancellation if it occurs and then contact my agent to rebook my ticket as it was ticketed on Finnair stock.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AB will cease to exist in its current form by end of November.
won't that rather be end of October?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by auher
My plans remain unchanged - to wait for a cancellation if it occurs and then contact my agent to rebook my ticket as it was ticketed on Finnair stock.
You're in luck - AY will reroute you, most likely a small detour via HEL, maybe via LON.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Ah the tension of it all.

So after some pondering, I paid the booking change fee and changed to flights on all AZ metal. Way back when I first made these plans, I was also going for a few AAdvantage miles from the AB leg. Not many but every bit counts. Since I just about never am in the Skyteam realm, not gonna get anything from this in that regard. But, it sure beats being stranded or turning a quick trip into a multi-stop adventure.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You're in luck - AY will reroute you, most likely a small detour via HEL, maybe via LON.
Do we know that for a fact or just what we want it to be?

Depending on auher's complete itinerary, the only obligation AY have could simply be a refund. There has been a couple of reports BA offering refunds as the only option on Avios tickets involving AB transatlantic flights despite BA serving the route via LHR.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If Finnair issued the ticket, they sold transportation between the two points. Generally speaking, airlines take responsibility for itineraries they issue if they have another way to book you, particularly if they can do it on their own flights.

The cases where refunds are generally offered is when service is entirely discontinued to a given city. So, if Finnair doesn't sell tickets to the location where you're traveling, they can just refund you.

It gets to be a "gray area" when they sell codeshares through another partner, but even in this case, airlines will usually take care of you in the interest of customer service.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Do we know that for a fact or just what we want it to be?

Depending on auher's complete itinerary, the only obligation AY have could simply be a refund. There has been a couple of reports BA offering refunds as the only option on Avios tickets involving AB transatlantic flights despite BA serving the route via LHR.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TProphet
If Finnair issued the ticket, they sold transportation between the two points. Generally speaking, airlines take responsibility for itineraries they issue if they have another way to book you, particularly if they can do it on their own flights.

The cases where refunds are generally offered is when service is entirely discontinued to a given city. So, if Finnair doesn't sell tickets to the location where you're traveling, they can just refund you.

It gets to be a "gray area" when they sell codeshares through another partner, but even in this case, airlines will usually take care of you in the interest of customer service.
The question is did AY "act as agent for AB" selling an AB fare subject to AB CoC or did AY sell transportation subject to AY CoC?

I agree even if the case there they were acting as agent for AB, AY should still attempt to reaccommodate in "interest of customer service."
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:12 am

Remember the plating carrier holds the money collected with them till the operating/marketing carrier informs them that the service was performed. So if the operating carrier AB goes away, AY still has the cash and can assign the performace of the service to someone else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.