Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB cancels most flights today (Sept 12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM

AB cancels most flights today. Apparently the pilots have collectively become "sick" over night.

https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/la...nformation.php
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
About 200 pilots, according to Deutsche Welle
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The race to the bottom takes on speed. In my opinion airberlin will soon cease operations, probably within in the next two weeks.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Anyone booking flights on AB right now is out of his mind.
justforfun and SK2751 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Anybody got a list of cancellations at all please? I am supposed to be on AB7493 tomorrow AUH-TXL but if today's AB7494 is cancelled, I can start to confirm alternative arrangements.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Anybody got a list of cancellations at all please?
https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/aims.php
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are booked on AB now, I would look at alternatives sooner rather than later. The second that a flight is cancelled, that puts a plane load of people into the already-burdened system meaning that many simply won't get accommodated or may be left with the dregs of seating.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Anybody got a list of cancellations at all please? I am supposed to be on AB7493 tomorrow AUH-TXL but if today's AB7494 is cancelled, I can start to confirm alternative arrangements.
Currently it is more a lottery than regular flight operations. TXL-AUH will be suspended anyway after September 25th.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Eurowings flights operated by AB are also affected by the "sickness".
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
My airberlin flight from AUH to TXL on the 27th September has been cancelled, according to an email I got from British Airways today. I called them and they were pretty useless (just as well I didn't expect anything else from the current British Airways). They offered a refund, that's all. There's precious little in the way of miles tickets for getting back to Germany at that time, and cash tickets are quite expensive. So I fished around and I found that Royal Jordanian were offering AUH-AMM-FRA for 40,000 Avios and GBP107 tax. I booked it on the nose, even though I haven't yet refunded the original ticket. I've got the 24 grace period to sort it all out.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
So I fished around and I found that Royal Jordanian were offering AUH-AMM-FRA for 40,000 Avios and GBP107 tax. I booked it on the nose, even though I haven't yet refunded the original ticket. I've got the 24 grace period to sort it all out.

At the risk of going way off topic here...though many other BA/AB customers may find it useful....please explain the "grace period" your referred to there? Thanks!

(And why couldn't the BA rep "fish around" and come up with alternates for you - even if at a higher asking price?)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sorry irishguy28, I should have chipped back in here sooner. In addition, what I wrote above really wasn't clear (really tiring recital late last night in one of the most beautiful places on earth, Lötschental, but that is another story).

I was referring to the 24 hour cooling off period after you buy an airline ticket, which also applies to award tickets. If I get another agent at BA today who offers another solution, such as rebooking the existing ticket for free, then I will cancel the RJ ticket before 3pm today, which is the time I bought it yesterday.

But, as mentioned over at the BAEC board, the only option the BAEC agents are making is to refund the affected ticket. They told me to look for and book another option myself.

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 13, 2017 at 3:52 am Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.