Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

TXL-AUH cancellations -re-protection guidelines for AB tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TXL-AUH cancellations -re-protection guidelines for AB tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I don't think it's that simple. The current air services agreement between Germany and the United Arab Emirates limits the number of destinations that can be served. Both Etihad and Emirates are free to serve Berlin, if they like, but at the expense of dropping another city.
Thank you very much for pointing that out.

However, I fail to see what you are trying to convey here, because basically I said the same thing as you did.

Well, I know EK/EY could fly to Berlin, but only if they give up another German port.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I guess my point was this: the collapse of airberlin is not going to accelerate the negotiation of a new Germany-UAE air services agreement, nor an EU-UAE services agreement, nor is it likely to tilt the hand of the UAE carriers significantly in any such discussion; so the end of direct services from Berlin is not going to change anything.

Additionally, Lufthansa - despite their new sort-of-agreements with Etihad - would lobby hard against the further loosening of the air services agreement.

So, as you say, nothing will change on this front and to suggest that airberlin's demise will somehow lead to change - immediate or eventual - is a bit of a pipe dream.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Creditors of AB, including unserved ticket holders and those due EC 261/2004 compensation are simply in line with others of their similar priority. After all, but for AB's liabilities exceeding its assets, it would not be insolvent.

Whether those creditors get paid all, a portion of, or none of what they are owed, remains to be seen. That is all overseen by an administrator operating under court order.

The notion that the incumbent government will be tossed out on its ear because it will not overnight amend a carefully negotiated trade agreement to permit one carrier better access to one airport is not likely.

US credit card consumers (UK too) have 100% protection as to their ticket value, through processes outside of insolvency. Many travel insurance policies as well.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
US credit card consumers (UK too) have 100% protection as to their ticket value, through processes outside of insolvency. Many travel insurance policies as well.

That is incorrect, as has been pointed out in other threads.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
AB are in insolvency proceedings and therefore, if any valid EC261/2004 claim could be lodged, then you would just be another creditor who likely would never see any money.

If you think you have a case, then I would advise you to seek the assistance of one of the claims agencies - though I doubt any of them will take on new AB cases at this time, given current circumstances.

Why couldn't Etihad send you home on the date you wanted? Why is there a 2-day delay in Abu Dhabi? Ask to be booked to any other city in Germany (if Germany is your end point) on the date of travel and ask for a Rail&Fly ticket to get you home. Or to any airport in Europe, from where you can add your own one-way ticket home if necessary (and probably cheaper than paying for two night's hotel in Abu Dhabi out of your own pocket).
A few more details. My itinerary was HKG-AUH-TXL, with AUH-TXL on AB. The rest, including the return trip home to HKG, is on EY. AB leg was cancelled as I was en route from HKG-AUH. Landed in AUH, went to the EY ticketing counter, got the supervisor to search for alternative ports. All full due to Eid. Nothing available for LHR, DUS, MUC, FRA. Only available seats are 2 days later.

EY didn't offer me hotel accommodation for the extra 2 nights (in the midst of this extended stay now). Will head to the AB counter later tonight when they start checking in to see if I can get anything. Filed complaint on their website as per their instructions for compensation.

Ultimately, I wonder what responsibility does AB have? They should pay out EU261 due to the cancellation. They originally re-accommodated me on the next day's flight, 24 hours later, so that would be 600 euros? How about hotel and meals? EY won't pay up on these even though it is on their stock as they said chase the operating carrier.

I'm now accommodated on EY, leaving 48 hours later than my original AB flight, to a different port as per my choosing.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:04 pm

Just to understand: was your ticket issued by EY? Was your last leg (operated by AB) sold with an EY flight number (i.e. as a code share)? Then I find it very strange why EY did not at least provide you with accommodation at their expense. Anyway, I don't know the legal situation.
What's correct is that AB as the operator and being an EU airline is liable according to EU261. You are free to file a claim, but due to the insolvency situation it's very unlikely you will get any meaningful amount of money.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto
I am still really gob smacked that this sort of thing can go on in Germany. I mean, I really like Germany and living here along with so many things the country has to offer, but I have also seen a good number of things here in recent years that I really don't understand. I respect the draconian tax system and dutifully spend ages doing a detailed declaration each year, but wow, talk about stifling creativity with all that paperwork, which for me is lost good time.

As far as similar situations go, the Swissair bankruptcy in 2001 was very messy and left loads of people stranded. But I have the impression they got their act together very quickly indeed and everything went ok after a few days. I was in the middle of it and the credit card company immediately reimbursed all lost tickets. Even the mileage programme, which is low priority now, was saved and continued.
Quoting my own rant here, but following on from it I wanted to share an interesting article which deals with the myth of German efficiency. It made for interesting reading in the current circumstances.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017...e-so-efficient
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by geosch
Just to understand: was your ticket issued by EY? Was your last leg (operated by AB) sold with an EY flight number (i.e. as a code share)? Then I find it very strange why EY did not at least provide you with accommodation at their expense. Anyway, I don't know the legal situation.
What's correct is that AB as the operator and being an EU airline is liable according to EU261. You are free to file a claim, but due to the insolvency situation it's very unlikely you will get any meaningful amount of money.
Correct. EY ticket all the way with codeshare on AB operating AUH-TXL.

Have filed a claim on the AB website's complaint section. Is there a EU website where I should file as well? Not used to this as I don't fly into EU that often.

The AB counters at AUH are staffed by EY. They issued meal vouchers and there was a remark at the top "credit to AB". EY is clearly removing themselves from responsibility here, so fingers crossed a fraction of EU261 will come back from AB eventually.

Is there a timing deadline on response/pay-out after the original departure date for EU261 claims?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EC261 does not work for AB, because they are insolvent. You cannot enforce a court order.

The writing was in the wall. Why anyone would book an AB-operated (longhaul) flight this year, is beyond me?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
The writing was in the wall. Why anyone would book an AB-operated (longhaul) flight this year, is beyond me?
They looked at the example of Alitalia, that other European airline cut lose by Etihad, which is adding destinations, and ]hiring staff, even while now entering their 4th month in administration/insolvency.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:24 am

But Alitalia is a completely different story.
AB is in insolvency according to German law.
So no more money, refund, ...for any claim arising from a booking before 15.8.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it has now become crystal clear that things are handled completely differently in Germany than in Italy.

I am presumably not the only one that assumed things would flow at least as smoothly in Germany as in Italy!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:24 am

I don't know the Italian law, but in Germany nothing similar to chapter 11 does exist.
The insolvency administrator has to follow strictly the legal requirements and therefore must enforce the current regulation.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I am presumably not the only one that assumed things would flow at least as smoothly in Germany as in Italy!
AB is operating fairly normal, minus some contract lounge access and topbonus. They were losing 2 million € /day at the end, and no longer had a sustainable business case. By the end of the summer schedule they will cease to exist in their current form. I don't see any 'chaos'. Chaos would be if they had stopped flying and sent everyone home two weeks ago.

AZ is a interesting case study on how many times an airline can receive a restart. I doubt the new AZ that will emerge this year will survive for long and needs a restart again.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AB is operating fairly normal, minus some contract lounge access and topbonus. They were losing 2 million € /day at the end, and no longer had a sustainable business case. By the end of the summer schedule they will cease to exist in their current form. I don't see any 'chaos'. Chaos would be if they had stopped flying and sent everyone home two weeks ago.

AZ is a interesting case study on how many times an airline can receive a restart. I doubt the new AZ that will emerge this year will survive for long and needs a restart again.
Well, hopefully, this will them at least through Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.