Wiki Posts
Search

AB flights as part of larger itin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

AB flights as part of larger itin

Question what I should expect here...

I booked a multi-stop trip leaving PRG Dec 15 to Chicago, returning Dec 30 from Seattle to PRG.

Trip was booked on my Merrill+ credit card using points + cash.

I have a PRG-TXL-CDG leg at the start of the journey which is the problem as it's all on AB.

I will be calling Merrill+ Travel (which I believe is operated by Orbitz) but want to understand what I should expect before I do so - is it reasonable to ask to have that first flight changed to a non AB flight? Assuming AB isn't operating those flights in December, what would happen if I do nothing?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You have a flight in December, certainly suggest to get another routing, please read this thread on a similar question, but flights in Sept. In particular post # 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...september.html
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
You have a flight in December, certainly suggest to get another routing, please read this thread on a similar question, but flights in Sept. In particular post # 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...september.html
Thanks. I agree - but do they have to give me one, or should I expect to have to fight this? That's ultimately my question - I like to be informed before I call.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Does this include TATL flights operated by AB, or just intra-European flights (with TATL sectors being operated by someone else)?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:05 pm

is the ticket issued by AB (745 ticket stock) or some different carrier?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

TATL are operated by American and British.

Was issued by Merrill+ Travel, and don't believe it's on AB ticket stock
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
In that case you just have to wait. AFAIK, only transatlantic flights are officially cancelled at this point, so I doubt anyone would be willing to rebook you at conditions other than those of your fare. Technically speaking, your AB flights are still due to operate.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by auher
TATL are operated by American and British.

Was issued by Merrill+ Travel, and don't believe it's on AB ticket stock
What are the first three digits of your ticket number(s)?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
What are the first three digits of your ticket number(s)?
105 - so it appears to be Finnair which makes sense as the CDG-ORD AA flight shows "Marketed as Finnair" on the eMail confirmation
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
105 - so it appears to be Finnair which makes sense as the CDG-ORD AA flight shows "Marketed as Finnair" on the eMail confirmation
Then you will just have to wait.

If and when any of those AB flights are cancelled, then you can pick up the phone to the agent that sold you the ticket, and have them re-route or rebook you so that the "missing" flights are replaced.

There is no point ringing now and asking them to do this - because as things currently stand, you would have to pay out of your own pocket for this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Then you will just have to wait.

If and when any of those AB flights are cancelled, then you can pick up the phone to the agent that sold you the ticket, and have them re-route or rebook you so that the "missing" flights are replaced.

There is no point ringing now and asking them to do this - because as things currently stand, you would have to pay out of your own pocket for this.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. One last question - is this alliance specific at all? The reason I had to fly PRG-TXL-CDG was because it was a FinnAir ticket and to get from Paris to Prague there is no OneWorld alliance routing. Ideally I would just get on the Czech Air flight (which is cheap) from PRG-CDG. Is that something I should be able to push for if/when AirBerlin leaves us?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You didn't have to fly PRG-TXL-CDG-ORD; you could have flown PRG-LHR-ORD [BA] or PRG-HEL-ORD [AY] or PRG-MAD-ORD [IB, though this is only operated seasonally] or even maybe PRG-DUB-ORD [EI].

I guess that this particular routing just happened to be cheaper than other, more direct routings on this particular date and at the particular time you bought it - or if you knowingly introduced the constraint that you had to pass through CDG [going via CDG is not an obvious routing for a oneworld PRG-ORD flight]
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

You didn't have to fly PRG-TXL-CDG-ORD; you could have flown PRG-LHR-ORD [BA] or PRG-HEL-ORD [AY] or PRG-MAD-ORD [IB] or even maybe PRG-DUB-ORD [EI].

I guess that this particular routing just happened to be cheaper than other, more direct routings on this particular date and at the particular time you bought it.
You are absolutely correct, it was hinged on the CDG-ORD flight and the only way from PRG-CDG was via TXL or LHR or HEL.

So I suppose my question still remains - does that mean they will accommodate me only on an alliance connection, or just simply accommodate me with a flight to CDG to make the TATL flight?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I suppose my question still remains - does that mean they will accommodate me only on an alliance connection, or just simply accommodate me with a flight to CDG to make the TATL flight?
If CDG is not a ticketed destination on your ticket - i.e. if you are not spending at least one night there - then it is extremely unlikely that you would be re-routed in such a way that your existing CDG-ORD flight can be taken. You have no reason to be in CDG, and it is going out of your way to pass through CDG.

It would make more sense to reroute you PRG-LHR-ORD than to do PRG-LHR-CDG-ORD. Same for PRG-HEL-ORD than PRG-HEL-CDG-ORD, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

If CDG is not a ticketed destination on your ticket - i.e. if you are not spending at least one night there - then it is extremely unlikely that you would be re-routed in such a way that your existing CDG-ORD flight can be taken. You have no reason to be in CDG, and it is going out of your way to pass through CDG.

It would make more sense to reroute you PRG-LHR-ORD than to do PRG-LHR-CDG-ORD. Same for PRG-HEL-ORD than PRG-HEL-CDG-ORD, etc.
Fair enough - thanks for the insight. I'm 100% fine with any of those options - I just was worried I'd be stucking having to get to CDG. Let's see what happens with AB now I suppose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.