AB flights as part of larger itin

Old Aug 29, 17, 8:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
AB flights as part of larger itin

Question what I should expect here...

I booked a multi-stop trip leaving PRG Dec 15 to Chicago, returning Dec 30 from Seattle to PRG.

Trip was booked on my Merrill+ credit card using points + cash.

I have a PRG-TXL-CDG leg at the start of the journey which is the problem as it's all on AB.

I will be calling Merrill+ Travel (which I believe is operated by Orbitz) but want to understand what I should expect before I do so - is it reasonable to ask to have that first flight changed to a non AB flight? Assuming AB isn't operating those flights in December, what would happen if I do nothing?

Thanks for any guidance!
auher is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,091
You have a flight in December, certainly suggest to get another routing, please read this thread on a similar question, but flights in Sept. In particular post # 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...september.html
arollins is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:14 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
You have a flight in December, certainly suggest to get another routing, please read this thread on a similar question, but flights in Sept. In particular post # 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...september.html
Thanks. I agree - but do they have to give me one, or should I expect to have to fight this? That's ultimately my question - I like to be informed before I call.
auher is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Between VIE and BTS
Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Posts: 666
Does this include TATL flights operated by AB, or just intra-European flights (with TATL sectors being operated by someone else)?
the810 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 249
is the ticket issued by AB (745 ticket stock) or some different carrier?
geosch is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:21 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
TATL are operated by American and British.

Was issued by Merrill+ Travel, and don't believe it's on AB ticket stock
auher is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Between VIE and BTS
Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Posts: 666
In that case you just have to wait. AFAIK, only transatlantic flights are officially cancelled at this point, so I doubt anyone would be willing to rebook you at conditions other than those of your fare. Technically speaking, your AB flights are still due to operate.
the810 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:54 pm
  #8  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,495
Originally Posted by auher View Post
TATL are operated by American and British.

Was issued by Merrill+ Travel, and don't believe it's on AB ticket stock
What are the first three digits of your ticket number(s)?
seawolf is offline  
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:06 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
What are the first three digits of your ticket number(s)?
105 - so it appears to be Finnair which makes sense as the CDG-ORD AA flight shows "Marketed as Finnair" on the eMail confirmation
auher is offline  
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:29 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,946
Originally Posted by auher View Post
105 - so it appears to be Finnair which makes sense as the CDG-ORD AA flight shows "Marketed as Finnair" on the eMail confirmation
Then you will just have to wait.

If and when any of those AB flights are cancelled, then you can pick up the phone to the agent that sold you the ticket, and have them re-route or rebook you so that the "missing" flights are replaced.

There is no point ringing now and asking them to do this - because as things currently stand, you would have to pay out of your own pocket for this.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:10 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Then you will just have to wait.

If and when any of those AB flights are cancelled, then you can pick up the phone to the agent that sold you the ticket, and have them re-route or rebook you so that the "missing" flights are replaced.

There is no point ringing now and asking them to do this - because as things currently stand, you would have to pay out of your own pocket for this.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. One last question - is this alliance specific at all? The reason I had to fly PRG-TXL-CDG was because it was a FinnAir ticket and to get from Paris to Prague there is no OneWorld alliance routing. Ideally I would just get on the Czech Air flight (which is cheap) from PRG-CDG. Is that something I should be able to push for if/when AirBerlin leaves us?
auher is offline  
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:14 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,946
You didn't have to fly PRG-TXL-CDG-ORD; you could have flown PRG-LHR-ORD [BA] or PRG-HEL-ORD [AY] or PRG-MAD-ORD [IB, though this is only operated seasonally] or even maybe PRG-DUB-ORD [EI].

I guess that this particular routing just happened to be cheaper than other, more direct routings on this particular date and at the particular time you bought it - or if you knowingly introduced the constraint that you had to pass through CDG [going via CDG is not an obvious routing for a oneworld PRG-ORD flight]
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:16 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You didn't have to fly PRG-TXL-CDG-ORD; you could have flown PRG-LHR-ORD [BA] or PRG-HEL-ORD [AY] or PRG-MAD-ORD [IB] or even maybe PRG-DUB-ORD [EI].

I guess that this particular routing just happened to be cheaper than other, more direct routings on this particular date and at the particular time you bought it.
You are absolutely correct, it was hinged on the CDG-ORD flight and the only way from PRG-CDG was via TXL or LHR or HEL.

So I suppose my question still remains - does that mean they will accommodate me only on an alliance connection, or just simply accommodate me with a flight to CDG to make the TATL flight?
auher is offline  
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:19 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,946
Originally Posted by auher View Post
So I suppose my question still remains - does that mean they will accommodate me only on an alliance connection, or just simply accommodate me with a flight to CDG to make the TATL flight?
If CDG is not a ticketed destination on your ticket - i.e. if you are not spending at least one night there - then it is extremely unlikely that you would be re-routed in such a way that your existing CDG-ORD flight can be taken. You have no reason to be in CDG, and it is going out of your way to pass through CDG.

It would make more sense to reroute you PRG-LHR-ORD than to do PRG-LHR-CDG-ORD. Same for PRG-HEL-ORD than PRG-HEL-CDG-ORD, etc.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 17, 2:22 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Prague, Czechia (PRG)
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If CDG is not a ticketed destination on your ticket - i.e. if you are not spending at least one night there - then it is extremely unlikely that you would be re-routed in such a way that your existing CDG-ORD flight can be taken. You have no reason to be in CDG, and it is going out of your way to pass through CDG.

It would make more sense to reroute you PRG-LHR-ORD than to do PRG-LHR-CDG-ORD. Same for PRG-HEL-ORD than PRG-HEL-CDG-ORD, etc.
Fair enough - thanks for the insight. I'm 100% fine with any of those options - I just was worried I'd be stucking having to get to CDG. Let's see what happens with AB now I suppose
auher is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread