Search

Suspension of all OW benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
TopBonus has filed for insolvency.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:21 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Flew yesterday Han-BKK on Y on Qatar, AB OW sapphire was honored by Qatar, received 2 lounge tix to a 3rd party lounge. My miles on the other hand.. not expecting much. Hopefully I can credit them to BA. Same result for my SIN-KUL-RGN flight on the 18th of August.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:13 am

One more data point - flew Finnair today from Malaga to Helsinki, no problems with lounge access with AB Gold card in Malaga.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:26 am

As long as AB's membership to OW is not suspended (e.g. because they cease operations) there is little reason for the benefits to be denied.
So the question simply boils down to when AW will actually suspend operations and have their OW membership suspended or terminated.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When other OW carriers stop getting paid by AB for AB passengers using their lounges, they will suspend lounge access for people traveling on AB tickets.

It probably is not a top of mind issue given the entire mess this creates in OW so it is entirely possible that passengers may see access for a bit.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by _fly_
One more data point - flew Finnair today from Malaga to Helsinki, no problems with lounge access with AB Gold card in Malaga.
I'd expect AB elites (Sapphire/Emeralds) to have more trouble getting lounge access when flying AB than when flying OW airlines other than AB.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by expataus
Was told that due to the insolvency, AB was no longer in the OneWorld alliance and was, therefore, suspending any benefits to elites from other member airlines.
I had thought that oneworld had a clause that membership had to be suspended if a member airline filed for insolvency. However, oneworld themselves issued a statement saying that airberlin is still a oneworld member:

oneworld news: airberlin continues to operate as part of oneworld

However, as I am sure you are aware, airberlin is under pressure and their FFP has also filed for insolvency, meaning that airberlin flyers have no means to accrue and redeem miles at the moment, meaning that they are effectively locked out of oneworld membership at present. You should not be too surprised to find that, despite the alliance membership continuing in name (if not totally in practice), anything that involves the waiving of a fee - such as free/reduced seat selection - on AB would no longer be observed.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I am Emerald thru AA, if I book a short flight inter-europe can I still check luggage for free?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
As far as I can recall, it depends on the type of ticket you book, not your Oneworld status as to whether you get free luggage allowance.

The cheapest fare type (Economy Light) does not include checked luggage whatever your status. The more expensive ones do, irrespective of your status.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
As far as I can recall, it depends on the type of ticket you book, not your Oneworld status as to whether you get free luggage allowance.

The cheapest fare type (Economy Light) does not include checked luggage whatever your status. The more expensive ones do, irrespective of your status.
Sapphire and Emerald members get one bag in addition to allowance according to ticket type. The only exception is BA HBO fare. So Sapphires and Emeralds will get one bag for free even on AB Economy Light fares.
mrredskin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Does this mean I can't use the CX lounge in SFO flying AB C?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Does this mean I can't use the CX lounge in SFO flying AB C?
You can, alliance benefits are still provided. However, keep in mind that longhaul AB flights will be suspended in a few weeks.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by the810
You can, alliance benefits are still provided. However, keep in mind that longhaul AB flights will be suspended in a few weeks.
But thats only the TXL flights?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:15 pm

Yes (at this point...).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
No more access to KRK Airport lounge

In the Schengen in KRK right now (flying with LO).

AB was removed from the list of airlines offering lounge access in KRK. AB C-class passengers, AB and OW/EY elites flying on AB no longer have lounge access.

AB is still flying to KRK with 4 daily frequencies.

Looks like vendors started having zero trust in AB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.