Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Top bonus suspended accurals and redemptions

Old Aug 21, 17, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors

Beginning to look like top bonus is circling the toilet.....
Attached Images  
Old Aug 21, 17, 5:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Uhm yes, it has been like that for 6 days now.

see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...d-tickets.html
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
Yes, I know ,, but until a couple of days ago you could still redeem and use your miles ( to a certain extent ).
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by kbrauneis View Post
Yes, I know ,, but until a couple of days ago you could still redeem and use your miles ( to a certain extent ).
Can you give an example how you were able to redeem and use your miles since last Tuesday?

Hint: online award bookings were possible on AB, but never got ticketed.
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
I have a flight with them in early September and always request crediting the miles to my AA (One world) account. Does this mean my miles wont be credited, guess I shouldn't count on it right.
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:27 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
I don't understand why they prevent redemptions, but earning is probably legally questionable, especially on tickets bought before the insolvency. Basically they are a debt from AB to TB, and AB is not sure whether they are allowed legally to pay this. At least this is how it looks to me.

This is also a good (but extremely small) sign, that TB might survive AB. Shows quite a strict separation of these two companies. I wouldn't be too hopefull though. However, if this turmoil results in creating some stripped down airline from AB (unlikely), then the owners may want to maintain TB around.
Old Aug 21, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wazow View Post
I don't understand why they prevent redemptions,
Probably they just don't have the money to buy all that redemptions on other airlines that people would try to book now. It would be like a "bank run".
Old Aug 21, 17, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A "redemption" is simply a term for a ticket paid for with miles by you. But, miles do not pay for aircraft, crew, fuel or any other operating cost.

Presumably AB has been directed by its administration, e.g. court, that it may no longer spend miles to incur cash expenses.

Legal? Presuming that it is all done through its administration, yes.

The reason this has not occurred in other air carrier bankruptcies is that there is an acquiring carrier which values the frequent fliers as an asset and wants to retain their loyalty. Thus, it honors miles or converts them to its program.

It is entirely unclear that anyone wants this carrier as an entity and thus its FF's and their miles.

That will become clear over time, one way or the other.
Old Aug 21, 17, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
A "redemption" is simply a term for a ticket paid for with miles by you. But, miles do not pay for aircraft, crew, fuel or any other operating cost.

Presumably AB has been directed by its administration, e.g. court, that it may no longer spend miles to incur cash expenses.
AB cannot make that decision. Topbonus is a company separate from AB, owned in majority by EY.

As has been discussed in the existing thread on the same / similar topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...d-tickets.html
Old Aug 21, 17, 11:14 am

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Can I assume my flights from August 16th won't be posting to my American Airlines account?
Old Aug 21, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
@justforfun: This is a tricky one. Miles posted into FFP of other airlines are generally involving a cash payment to the other airlines' FFP. This payment is on a contractual basis, i.e. based on a contract between AA and AB, the later has to pay AA if an AA-member (you) flies with AB. This contractual obligation is created on the day of your flight.

As may have heard, under German law obligations are separated into old and new, i.e. before or after insolvency has occurred. AFAIK, the court granted insolvency on 16 August, i.e. the day of your flight ... this makes it tricky to find out whether it's old or new debt ... If it's old debt, you will only get the miles if AA (voluntarily) steps in. If it's new debt, you should get your miles without any issue and without any financial risk for AA.
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I'm watching this one as well. Flying AB tomorrow from ORD-TXL and want to credit to AA.. .The tickets were bought in June.. Does that mean we wont get miles?
Old Aug 22, 17, 1:52 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
It seems quite likely that you won't. But please return back to us, and tell us what happened.
Old Aug 22, 17, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
I need only 1,200 status miles to make it to Gold. I have four upcoming AB flights. Each trip giving me 2,500 status & award miles. The next is supposed to leave on Thursday.

This really sucks.

Not to mention I am an AB credit card holder and I am supposed to get another 2.3k status miles credited once my bill comes through on the 1st of September.
Old Aug 22, 17, 3:57 am

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by swiss_global View Post
@justforfun: This is a tricky one. Miles posted into FFP of other airlines are generally involving a cash payment to the other airlines' FFP. This payment is on a contractual basis, i.e. based on a contract between AA and AB, the later has to pay AA if an AA-member (you) flies with AB. This contractual obligation is created on the day of your flight.

As may have heard, under German law obligations are separated into old and new, i.e. before or after insolvency has occurred. AFAIK, the court granted insolvency on 16 August, i.e. the day of your flight ... this makes it tricky to find out whether it's old or new debt ... If it's old debt, you will only get the miles if AA (voluntarily) steps in. If it's new debt, you should get your miles without any issue and without any financial risk for AA.
Miles from the 16th just posted!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: