December flights

Old Aug 19, 17, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
December flights

A very good friend of mine and his wife are booked to fly ORD-TXL-STR with AB on Dec. 23, returning Jan. 5.

My friend is a German national and US resident. His wife is a US national.

The tickets are booked through an American TA (Justfly). He purchased travel insurance through Allianz at the same time as the tickets.

My questions are:

1. If AB is no longer flying on their travel dates (as it seems they will probably not be), what are his options?

2. Who is responsible for making alternative arrangements? AB? Justfly? My friend himself?

3. Is there anything my friend can do right now, to increase his chances of getting from the US to Germany for Christmas, at a reasonable price?
Old Aug 20, 17, 9:27 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
If there is an affordable refundable fare on another carrier or if he finds a refundable award ticket it would be a good measure to make sure he can be at home over christmas time. If AB will still be flying then or if a buyer accepts "old" tickets is just not foreseeable at this time IMO.
Old Aug 20, 17, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody can predict whether AB will be operating past its 90-day temporary credit facility. By nobody, I mean nobody.

If your brother purchases his tickets with a credit card issued by a US bank and AB ceases operations due to bankruptcy, he is entitled to a full refund to the CC. Others may wait in line and never see much of anything. Using an opaque third-party provider such as he has may complicate all of this, but he will eventually see his money.

Your friend could then purchase whatever ticket he wants, but that might be quite expensive.

In addition, other carriers might honor his ticket, but very unclear if that will happen and whether he might be substantially delayed. A lot might also depend on the ticket. If this is a BULK or other consolidator ticket, the chances of it being honored are quite slim.
Old Aug 21, 17, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Thanks for the advice. I have passed my friend a link to this thread.

Search this Thread