FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Insolvency: What happens with our miles and reward tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1861255-insolvency-what-happens-our-miles-reward-tickets.html)

Donegal Aug 16, 2017 1:50 am

Insolvency: What happens with our miles and reward tickets?

As this is a forum mainly focused on Mileage Programs I suggest to start a new and clean thread about the essential questions and leave it free from any speculation regarding the many other aspects of the AB insolvency. (If moderators disagree please merge or delete)

1. What will likely happen to/with the miles on our Topbonus accounts?
Can we compare with similar historic cases,
Alitalia (Sky)
BMI (Star)
Malev (OneWorld)
Other comparable cases

2. What will likely happen to/with our frequentflyer status?
Can we compare with similar previous cases,
Alitalia (Sky)
BMI (Star)
Malev (OneWorld)
Other comparable cases

3. What will likely happen to Topbonus reward reservations on AB metal (made before insolvency declaration 15Aug17)?

Alitalia (Sky)
BMI (Star)
Malev (OneWorld)
Other comparable cases

4. What will likely happen to Topbonus reward reservations on other airlines metal (made before insolvency declaration 15Aug17)?

Alitalia (Sky)
BMI (Star)
Malev (OneWorld)
Other comparable cases

5. What will likely happen to Topbonus reward reservations on AB metal (made AFTER insolvency declaration 15Aug17)?

Alitalia (Sky)
BMI (Star)
Malev (OneWorld)
Other comparable cases

goliath Aug 16, 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Donegal (Post 28696321)

5. What will likely happen to Topbonus reward reservations on AB metal (made AFTER insolvency declaration 15Aug17)?

At the moment: nothing - because no such awards can be booked since yesterday. ;)

stef78ibk Aug 16, 2017 4:37 am

isnt this illegal that Topbonus does not allow to redeem any miles?

Lets say I would like to book a BA ticket.

Currently it is not possible.

ajeleonard Aug 16, 2017 4:43 am

Originally Posted by stef78ibk (Post 28696647)
isnt this illegal that Topbonus does not allow to redeem any miles?

How so? Topbonus is a program run by Air Berlin under whatever rules it deems, it's not a statutory relationship. They can take away all your miles tomorrow if the program rules give them that right (and most are written in the airline's favour)

goliath Aug 16, 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 28696656)
How so? Topbonus is a program run by Air Berlin [...]

...run by Etihad @:-)

stef78ibk Aug 16, 2017 5:14 am

Topbonus is owned by Etihad.

The date of insolvency is 11.8.2017

thbe Aug 16, 2017 7:29 am

Actually topbonus is owned by EY (70%) and AB (30%).

I think, the next 2-3 months there will be no problem with existing bookings.

If there are problems with existing award bookings on AB metal, where AB is not the marketing carrier (not 745-tickets), the passenger will be rebooked or refunded.

I'm afraid, there will be problems with existing topbonus awards bookings (745-tickets) after the 2-3 months periods. There is a high risk, that the passenger has to rebook on his own costs. Especially on airlines, which don't belong to EY. The risk of total loss with tickets on EY metal is maybe a bit lower, but still significant.

Often1 Aug 16, 2017 7:44 am

Booked tickets on other carriers are paid for by Top Bonus, just as if you had walked into the other carrier with cash and paid for the ticket. Those won't be cancelled or not honored because they are paid for.

The problem is the future redemption of earnings going forward from yesterday and then if there is an insolvency which causes AB to cease operations meaning, of course, that nobody with an AB ticket flies on that specific ticket.

thbe Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28697152)
Booked tickets on other carriers are paid for by Top Bonus, just as if you had walked into the other carrier with cash and paid for the ticket. Those won't be cancelled or not honored because they are paid for.

Unfortunately not. If you book a topbonus award it's always on AB ticket stock (745-), doesn't matter who the operating is. And they are not paid upfront. The operating carrier doesn't have to fulfill the ticket, if the marketing carrier is not able to pay at the time of fulfillment.

I have a topbonus award ticket with all four segments operated by EY in January. I don't see the chance, that AB will be able to pay for it at that time. I see a little chance, that EY will accept the booking, especially if they will still keep topbonus at that time. But I see the very high risk, that I will lose fees and miles, especially if topbonus will go bankrupt before.

On the other side: If you have booked an award at Etihad guest or any other FFP, but operated by AB, you don't have to worry about your miles, points and fees at all.

tomparskate Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am

I am AB Gold (OW Sapphire) and will be flying BA end of September.

Will I still get my lounge access, fast track etc?

Phoenixtinct Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by thbe (Post 28697695)
Unfortunately not. If you book a topbonus award it's always on AB ticket stock (745-), doesn't matter who the operating is. And they are not paid upfront. The operating carrier doesn't have to fulfill the ticket, if the marketing carrier is not able to pay at the time of fulfillment.

I have a topbonus award ticket with all four segments operated by EY in January. I don't see the chance, that AB will be able to pay for it at that time. I see a little chance, that EY will accept the booking, especially if they will still keep topbonus at that time. But I see the very high risk, that I will lose fees and miles, especially if topbonus will go bankrupt before.

On the other side: If you have booked an award at Etihad guest or any other FFP, but operated by AB, you don't have to worry about your miles, points and fees at all.

I have to agree. Regardless of who owns topbonus, an award ticket needs an issuing carrier - that carrier is currently AB, so topbonus is dependent on AB. It's similar to Air Canada and their FFP, which is owned by another company. If AB is sold, there's no guarantee that the new owner will purchase topbonus as well. Since Etihad is a majority owner, it may fold it into its own Etihad Guest program. Anything else makes no sense - having a FFP without an associated carrier is useless.

Concerto Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

But Etihad actually owns TopBonus. So how can they refuse carriage? I'm not too worried about TopBonus at the moment, wait a bit to see how it plays out.

EDIT Sorry, posted at the same time as the post above.

MSPeconomist Aug 16, 2017 10:09 am

Officially you should retain lounge access for oneworld flights as an AB elite if AB is still operating and is still a member of oneworld. Be sure that you follow all rules, including crediting the flight to your AB account if oneworld requires this for lounge access as a partner elite.

However, much could depend on how and when lounge fees are paid. If it's your FF program or its associated carrier that pays fees either to the carrier operating/marketing your flight or to the carrier operating the lounge, there could be problems if it's perceived that AB cannot pay its bills.

LHKE Aug 16, 2017 1:02 pm

As I am an exMA gold, I got lounge acces in LHR HEL and MAD 2-3 weeks after MA ceased its operation.

mobilemario Aug 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I have 76000 miles in my account, expiring 30/09/17.

Terrible timing :(