Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Insolvency: What happens with our miles and reward tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insolvency: What happens with our miles and reward tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting. So it seems AB is blocking all mileage redemptions, whether it's airline tickets or using miles in the Topbonus Shop.

Is there any remaining option to use AB miles?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by goliath
At the moment: nothing - because no such awards can be booked since yesterday.
I tried a dummy booking (on AB) and actually it seems to work again. I did not take it all the way through, though.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I tried a dummy booking (on AB) and actually it seems to work again. I did not take it all the way through, though.
Online bookings were never blocked. They just never got ticketed anymore since Aug, 15 in the afternoon.

People with existing reservations (not tickets) have received e-mails that those reservations would not be ticketed, but cancelled.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:21 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I guess it will take a few more days to see where topbonus regarding usage of miles / issuing of award tix on AB stock will be headed. This is probably not on the list of top priority points to be ruled on in association with the insolvency procurator deployed by the insolvency court.

I'm holding a 6 figure amount of topbonus miles but I'm not too concerned right now. Topbonus is an asset and EY will be very interested to keep its value as high as possible. If they will be able to sell topbonus into something new associated with Lufthansa or if they will fold it into Etihad guest, miles might keep their value...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Officially you should retain lounge access for oneworld flights as an AB elite if AB is still operating and is still a member of oneworld. Be sure that you follow all rules, including crediting the flight to your AB account if oneworld requires this for lounge access as a partner elite.

However, much could depend on how and when lounge fees are paid. If it's your FF program or its associated carrier that pays fees either to the carrier operating/marketing your flight or to the carrier operating the lounge, there could be problems if it's perceived that AB cannot pay its bills.
Crediting AB or other Oneworld flights to AB/Topbonus account is my idea of a very bad idea, even for AB elites wanting to use AB/Oneworld status benefits. It's even a gamble whether OW will credit such flights if those flights are AB coded-and-operated.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. Be sure that you follow all rules, including crediting the flight to your AB account if oneworld requires this for lounge access as a partner elite.
I do not think that you need to credit the flight to AB to have lounge access. You can just show your plastic card.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:08 am

Last edited by Colin; Aug 17, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:16 am

Last edited by Colin; Aug 17, 2017 at 11:25 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
this thread is purely about paid Air Berlin tickets on 745 AB stock with a refundable fare basis issued prior to Aug 11 2018
Is it?
Let's have a look at the thread title again. @:-)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Colin
back on topic, the settled rule in the US is that when an airline ceases operations, the credit card company will approve a chargeback, so longer as the chargeback is requested within 60 days of the statement date containing the charge.
I under stand that the 60 day period is waived in these cases as the service was never provided.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:23 am

sorry wrong thread.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:28 pm

If I may digress from the thread topic...

I called Topbonus Silver (German) yesterday and was told the Topbonus Shop is genuinely down for maintenance and has nothing to do with the insolvency. I was also told that the miles would not be lost.

I'd love to get my hands on one of their scripts.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
mid Aug to mid Nov is the 3 month period and my flights are 2nd Nov & 16th Nov DUS-CUR (books about a week ago).
I am also sceptical that €150m will last three full months. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

If cancelled I’m wondering if TopBonus will reinstate my points. I don’t expect so but it depends how TopBonus actually pays AirBerlin; in terms of how and at what time / date. TopBonus may actually still have my points, not AirBerlin (or the cash value they’d pay AirBerlin).
The other complication I have (and others I expect) is that IF points are reimbursed, how will they be treated if they are reinstated after the expiration date of the original points !!
ANY IDEA IF THE TRANSFR OF POINTS BETWEEN TOPBONUS AND AIRBERLIN CAN BE STOPPED ????????

Those who have paid in cash might be in a slightly better position if flights are cancelled as whilst AB won’t give you a penny you might find credit card or travel insurance will compensate you.
The issue with using points which complicates my booking is that it’s nothing to do with a credit card and I expect most (if not all) travel insurance companies won’t cover loss of points.
Therefore if I do manage to get Credit Card to refund me or Travel Insurance compensation it would only be for the taxes & fees paid (about £400) and not the true value of two business class flights to Curacao

There goes my gift to my Mum for her 70th Birthday of 2weeks in Curacao :-(
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:45 am

I have a confirmed Topbonus award ticket on one world partner LATAM for March 2018. After reading this, I realize there is little to no chance that the ticket will be honored by LATAM. Correct?

so what are my options:
(1) as by top bonus fare rules there is no refund if I cancel the ticket (other than fees and taxes) => not an option
(2) I can change the date of departure to some time in the next two month for a fee of 70-something Euro. I can change the route as well but it needs to be in the same region (in my case North to South America)
(3) wait and see. Q: In case LATAM does not honor my award ticket and provided that topbonus does not file for bankruptcy as well, will I get my miles back? Or are they lost for good?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by mobilemario
I have 76000 miles in my account, expiring 30/09/17.

Terrible timing
That's when mine were expiring so I booked 2 return biz flights to Curacao on AB using them for November.
Not expecting the flights to run to be honest but they might (or perhaps the outbound will but inbound won't !!!!!!! ) and if I do get some TopBonus points refunded when they are cancelled then who knows what you'll be able to book with them by then OR if they will automatically expire due to original expiry date
:-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.