Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
Interesting since today is Sept 20th 😁
Time travel?

That would save AB for sure....
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by sunrise
An update : My flight from BOS-DUS-TXL on 24th September went very smooth, no delay. They even served food and wine
Please report yourself "unfit for duty", it probably wasnt wine they served.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:34 am

Reuters reporting Oct 15th as last day of last of long hauls, no much info given though
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ai...KCN1BV2E4?il=0
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:24 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
topbonus is reopening, you can now earn miles again on Etihad flights and with a few ground partners. Redemption is possible for vouchers and merchandise at terrible value. AND they confirmed that rewards tickets on other carriers are valid and have been paid for, what is different from previous debate on the topic. It'll be interesting to see if Etihad will honor tickets that are - according to their own subsidiary - have been paid for already!
The details are hidden in a detailed FAQ in German, translation here!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
LH does not offer for long distance fleet

German news magazin DER SPIEGEL is reporting that LH does not offer for AB long distance flights.

LH seems to offer for the 38 jets already leased plus for 20 to 40 more jets. This would mean some 3000 employees to be taken over.

It seems that LH decided not to offer for more jets in order to avoid antitrust law issues.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
wild speculation on my side:

This would make a revival of an LTU 2.0 all the more interesting. Woehrl?

Or maybe Nikki would be expanded to longhaul? Lauda+partners?

The remaining bidders seem to have specific interest in this aspect of AB.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:43 am

I already notice quite higher fares on Lufthansas intra german routes (general no availability on lower fareclass especially for rush times) It may only be the higher number of pax booking on LH because of non-availability of alternatives. Or it may be a deliberate move at LH yield management... ;-)

This was of course expected. I hope for some new market entrants offering at least 4x daily service on routes like FRA/MUC-TXL or FRA/MUC-HAM, MUC-DUS, DUS-TXL, ZRH-TXL. Easyjet: this is your chance... :-)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
This would make a revival of an LTU 2.0 all the more interesting. Woehrl?
I doubt that. There are already plenty of leisure airlines operating L/H ex Germany, not to mention the dozen LCC offering L/H ex Europe. Lastly there are plenty of regular services that a LTU 2.0 would've to compete with.

Someone's probably going to try it anyway and I expect them to probably fail or being taken over in a couple of years. And there's no point in building onto the LTU brand as brand loyalty in commercial aviation isn't as strong as it probably used to be. Price is what most travellers care about these days (at least in the holiday package market) and few will care if it says LTU or something else.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or maybe LH doesn't bid now because the value drops even more and then it swoops in at the end when regulators toss competition concerns out the window in order to save jobs. It's a no-lose situation for LH. If AB simply ceases operations, LH will have a larger market share without any spend.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:50 am

Handelsblatt cites an inside source in the sales process: LH to buy the mayor part of AB, the rest goes to easyjet and Condor.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
German news magazine reports the same. Further negotiations will be with the remaining parties:

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fyd
            topbonus is reopening, .. AND they confirmed that rewards tickets on other carriers are valid and have been paid for, what is different from previous debate on the topic.!
            They only say what is obvious: the tickets have been paid for (to the carrier issuing them, which is AB). The tickets are being honored; if not, it's the responsibility of the issuing carrier (which as we recall was AB).

They just put out those statements to reassure some of their customers because that customer base is the only tiny asset they still have. And right now they're trying to make the most of that asset as long as they still can.
            Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
            Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
            German news magazine reports the same. Further negotiations will be with the remaining parties:

If IAG is out, this is very bad news for someone not flying LH/LX/EW. This leaves me with EasyJet (tolerable with EasyJet Plus and PriorityClub) and OS. I guess I need to invest in AFKL Plat
                      Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:40 am
                      Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
                      Originally Posted by geosch
                      They only say what is obvious: the tickets have been paid for (to the carrier issuing them, which is AB). The tickets are being honored; if not, it's the responsibility of the issuing carrier (which as we recall was AB).

They just put out those statements to reassure some of their customers because that customer base is the only tiny asset they still have. And right now they're trying to make the most of that asset as long as they still can.
                      the text is suggesting that the operating carriers have been paid, which would be different from standard... there is a long article on OMAAT as well as German boards that the award tickets are paid after the flight occurs.
                      let's see how long award tickets will be honored by other carriers...
                      Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
                      I have been told that Condor are pretty certain to get the A330 fleet, they have even scheduled crew and flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.