Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
Originally Posted by inthezone
If anyone has been impacted by a cancellation, can you please speak to whether AB re-booked you on other One World flights? I finally got a hold of AB CS, and they told me they've been able to rebook passengers whose AB flights were cancelled. Not sure if this is BS?
I can not tell you about flights in the future, but I had a biz flight from LAX to TXL on Tuesday which was cancelled due to the pilots calling in sick. I called AB in the US and they told me that they can rebook me on the LH flight on the same day in economy. As we booked business class I asked them if we can get seats in biz, the agent had to talk to her supervisor and finally rebooked us on AA to LHR in biz and then on Eurowings from LHR to Berlin in J ( which is their BEST class). Apart of no interline agreement between AA and Eurowings and having to change terminals in LHR this was an excellent alternative.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Experienced the following yesterday:

While booking some AY flights for me, our corporate TA put my AB FFN into the reservation.
When I tried to reserve seats I was able to without any charges but was not able to save the reservation - I was always requested to input my FFN but unable to select AB.
TH AY helpline entered the FFN manually but I got the same error when trying to reserve seats. In the end they reserved the seats manually for me.

Looks as if the OW benefits are slowly disappearing...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:01 am

The DUS-BOS flight is now cancelled for the third day in a row; we're scheduled to take it home on Sept. 24, currently its last scheduled day of operation. I'd like to think that it will operate on its last scheduled day. We would go from FCO the day before and see friends. This is a paid ticket issued by AB and booked through a third-party agency.

if I'm doubtful that the flight will operate, I could book an AA award, on AA metal, from FCO, on 9/22 or 9/25, and I suppose I'd scrap the AB plans and could only claim a credit card chargeback if both AB flights are cancelled. This would take miles that we were hoping to use for next year's trip, and would call for hotel nights on both ends of the trip that we wouldn't otherwise have.

If we're stranded, we have some hope for help from the agency through which we booked the tickets, and insurance from Allianz where I'm not sure what the coverage would be. I asked on the Chase board about coverage for having used their Sapphire Preferred card, and it isn't as good as hoped as far as covering a walk-up fare in this case.

Anyway, I'd like to think that the flight will operate on its last day, but it's unpleasant to think of being stuck at DUS with many people trying to get to the U.S. Any advice here?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rove312
The DUS-BOS flight is now cancelled for the third day in a row; we're scheduled to take it home on Sept. 24, currently its last scheduled day of operation. I'd like to think that it will operate on its last scheduled day. We would go from FCO the day before and see friends. This is a paid ticket issued by AB and booked through a third-party agency.

if I'm doubtful that the flight will operate, I could book an AA award, on AA metal, from FCO, on 9/22 or 9/25, and I suppose I'd scrap the AB plans and could only claim a credit card chargeback if both AB flights are cancelled. This would take miles that we were hoping to use for next year's trip, and would call for hotel nights on both ends of the trip that we wouldn't otherwise have.

If we're stranded, we have some hope for help from the agency through which we booked the tickets, and insurance from Allianz where I'm not sure what the coverage would be. I asked on the Chase board about coverage for having used their Sapphire Preferred card, and it isn't as good as hoped as far as covering a walk-up fare in this case.

Anyway, I'd like to think that the flight will operate on its last day, but it's unpleasant to think of being stuck at DUS with many people trying to get to the U.S. Any advice here?
I will start with contacting the third party agency that you booked the ticket with and see what they say. Many travelers will be left stranded if AB disappears, and they will need to be re-routed. Best to have an option on hand now, than scramble to get a last minute one that might not be desirable.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:13 am

I also have a AB flight; BOS - DUS- BER on 18th September and returning on 24th DUS-BOS. If they do not cancel, I cannot book another flight. What is the best thing to do now ?

The third party ( justfly.com) says they cannot do much since the flight is still not canceled.

Can you claim a credit card chargeback if the flights were not canceled on my date of travel?

Last edited by sunrise; Sep 14, 2017 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:42 pm

I contacted the booking site I used, and they basically said: call us or use our online form in case of unforeseen circumstances.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312

Originally Posted by arollins
I will start with contacting the third party agency that you booked the ticket with and see what they say. Many travelers will be left stranded if AB disappears, and they will need to be re-routed. Best to have an option on hand now, than scramble to get a last minute one that might not be desirable.
Agency can't really help you. The ticket is issued by AB, agent is limited to what AB allows them to do.

It does look like Chase coverage only reimburse you on non-refundable travel but does not arrange for new travel. Citi Prestige coverage, on the other hand, covers new travel arrangements.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
and now Mexico.
Cancún/Mexico had been part of the initial termination announcement already.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:34 pm

I would think that there's still a reasonable chance for AB to fly their longhauls on Sep. 24. The current outages have been to the pilots' sickout which should no longer be a factor by then.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Current outages due to pilot "sickness", earlier termination of announced long distance destinations due to the fact that AB needs to return leased aircraft.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:39 pm

I wish there would be more clarity with the post 9/25 Flights to DUS. I have a flight leaving 9/30 from SFO and returning 10/9. If you go to their website and put anything post 9/25 in their booking engine (SFO, LAX, etc), you get only Flex tickets, which is a bad sign. I wish they would just cancel the damn things already if thats is what they are going to do.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:33 pm

I am bewildered by AB did not cancel flights BOS-DUS (departing at 6:55PM) in the morning when they knew that DUS-BOS flight was canceled. There is no way a BOS-DUS flight could fly if the arriving aircraft was canceled. They are playing some game which I do not understand. 3 days in a row.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by sunrise
I am bewildered by AB did not cancel flights BOS-DUS (departing at 6:55PM) in the morning when they knew that DUS-BOS flight was canceled. There is no way a BOS-DUS flight could fly if the arriving aircraft was canceled. They are playing some game which I do not understand. 3 days in a row.
Actually, the flight from BOS -> DUS departed today. Looks like they had an aircraft from Miami fly up. I'm hopeful that they'll operate the route until 9/25, the scheduled departure date... flying BOS -> MUC 9/21-9/24, so fingers crossed.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:08 pm

yes, you are right, BOS-DUS in the air now.

Based on the current situation, do you think they will cooperate with putting me on the next flight from DUS - TXL, as I only have 60 minutes layover and I may miss my connection which is still in AB.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
It does look like Chase coverage only reimburse you on non-refundable travel but does not arrange for new travel. Citi Prestige coverage, on the other hand, covers new travel arrangements.
Can you elaborate on your source?

I jut called Citi to dispute the charge of Air Berlin (booking of the flight) under the Fair Credit Billing Act. You have 60 days to dispute a charge from booking if your flight is cancelled and Air Berlin doesn’t provide you the service.

I have not filed a claim with Citi Prestige yet to cover cancelation fee of the hotel for example. What do you mean by covering new travel arrangements? I arranged a similar flight for ~800$ more expensive...

Thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.