Wiki Posts
Search

forced re-route

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
forced re-route

On Aug 1, we have a connecting flight on Alitalia coded Air Berlin flight from Rome arriving Dusseldorf at 10:45 PM in business class. Upon check-in, we were told an unconfirmed gate number and should check again before boarding. However, the fight could not be found on the airport departure monitor. We went to the lounge, and they were able to locate it and confirmed that it will be delayed for 1 h 10 min, same gate, but still not confirmed. We were able to board at the tentative gate after another slight delay, but waited another 20-30 min on the plane before taking off. 2/3 past the flight, the pilot announced that DUS airport is closed so we were heading to Munster instead, and we will be either staying at a local hotel or heading to DUS by arranged transportation (1.5 h drive away). At baggage area, we heard instruction from broadcast to collect bags then head to Exit 5. By the time we were at Exit 5, it was close to 2 AM. 4 buses were there with no sign and without any Air Berlin personnel. We took one and after took off the driver told us that he was instructed to drive us to DUS and that's all he knew. By the time we arrived, it was 3:20 AM and again no Air Berlin personnel could be found. We had to wait for 30 min for a taxi to show up and finally get to our hotel past 4AM.

We purchased delay and re-route insurance for this trip, but the DUS Air Berlin customer service could only supply paper proof for delay and said anything else should be inquired through their website. We did submit it and also inquired about compensation but no response at all. The website did state that "We would like to assist in completing the feedback form if you have your reservation booked directly with airberlin & NIKI". Since our flight was not purchased directly with airberlin, does that mean they won't assist us?

Last edited by ycc777; Aug 11, 2017 at 8:54 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Take a look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...airberlin.html .

You might eligible for compensation under EU 261/2004 rule. Read this form to see if your situation falls under the described scenarios.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...nt_form_en.pdf
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The sole question is the time of your actual arrival at DUS versus the time you were originally scheduled to arrive. I take that to be 3:20 AM vs 10:45 PM or a delay of 4:35. Thus, the threshold for EC 261/2004 compensation is met unless the departure delay was due to "extraordinary circumstances".

The rest of the story is irrelevant and simply complicates and delays any claim. I am not sure what having AB staff lolling around at a bus does when you apparently found the bus, boarded it and the driver took you to DUS. I actually credit AB for rounding up 4 buses at that time of night and packing you off on your way with due speed.

The one missing fact from your post is the reason for the two delays. Those ultimately caused a sufficient delay that your aircraft could not land at DUS and required the diversion. Do you know what that is?

If you don't, I would still file the EC 261/2004 claim. If you do, please let us know and you may get some better guidance here.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - The sole question is the time of your actual arrival at DUS versus the time you were originally scheduled to arrive. I take that to be 3:20 AM vs 10:45 PM or a delay of 4:35. Thus, the threshold for EC 261/2004 compensation is met unless the departure delay was due to "extraordinary circumstances".

The rest of the story is irrelevant and simply complicates and delays any claim. I am not sure what having AB staff lolling around at a bus does when you apparently found the bus, boarded it and the driver took you to DUS. I actually credit AB for rounding up 4 buses at that time of night and packing you off on your way with due speed.

The one missing fact from your post is the reason for the two delays. Those ultimately caused a sufficient delay that your aircraft could not land at DUS and required the diversion. Do you know what that is?

If you don't, I would still file the EC 261/2004 claim. If you do, please let us know and you may get some better guidance here.
Thank you. The reason I mentioned about the bus was because of what the pilot said about the two possibilities of staying at a local hotel or to DUS. We weren't sure which bus to take because there were no sign or anyone to ask. There was another flight diverted there as well, so there were actually buses left and came after us.

There was no provision of why we were delayed. The FCO airport operated normally during that time though.

I was later told that DUS has a curfew so it wasn't heading to DUS right at takeoff. It would make more sense to accommodate us at Rome instead of making this extra long red-eye trip.

Last edited by ycc777; Aug 11, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
DUS is not open 24 hours. File a EC261/2004 claim for a €200 compensation.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ycc777
Thank you. The reason I mentioned about the bus was because of what the pilot said about the two possibilities of staying at a local hotel or to DUS. We weren't sure which bus to take because there were no sign or anyone to ask. There was another flight diverted there as well, so there were actually buses left and came after us.

There was no provision of why we were delayed. The FCO airport operated normally during that time though.

I was later told that DUS has a curfew so it wasn't heading to DUS right at takeoff. It would make more sense to accommodate us at Rome instead of making this extra long red-eye trip.
Whether DUS was closed is irrelevant, the sole question is what caused the delay in departure such that the aircraft could not make DUS by closing time.

If you don't know, just file a claim. You may be assured that if the delay was for an "extraordinary circumstance" that you will hear from AB and have your claim denied.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

I've found this postal address from Air Berlin website. Is it the address to mail the claim form to?

Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG
Saatwinkler Damm 42-43
D-13627 Berlin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.