Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

"Airline counter 3 hours before flight time": Absolute?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Our confirmation for a trip starting at BOS says "BE AT AIRLINE COUNTER 3HOURS BEFORE FLIGHT TIME." I would take it that this is a recommendation rather than that we're refused baggage check and boarding if we haven't checked them at the 3-hour mark. We'll plan to get to BOS by inter-city bus that gets to the terminal right at the 3-hour mark and could be a few minutes late. Am I correct that this shouldn't be a worry? What about check-in at FCO for an intra-Europe segment, and at DUS for the final return segment after an overnight?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
really
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

The best I can read your reply is that I'm right in thinking three hours isn't an absolute cutoff, but I've read plenty of posts where airlines do have cutoffs, and it's reasonable to ask about it for an airline that's on the LCC side. It's reasonable to ask what would be right for intra-Europe versus transatlantic departures as well. Your post achieves nothing.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
There is absolutely no reason to check in 3 hours early for any airline in the US. AFAIK, all carriers servicing the US insert that language based on DOT recommendations, which aren't for experienced flyers.

Air Berlin actually publishes their check in cut off times at different airports. Some in the US are 60 minutes, others are 90 minutes. At BOS, it is 60 minutes.

https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/checkin.php
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA MM
I presume in BOS you're leaving from Terminal E with all the international flights. The airberlin web site blew up when I tried to search for flights so I don't know what time you're leaving. It gets a bit crowded in the terminal for the evening TATL departures, 6 PM on. But I've never seen things run really slow there and usually it is pretty efficient. Of course Airberlin could have a single check in spot open and a long line of pax to check bags. But if I were you, I would not worry.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Yes, 6.55 p.m. departure: bus arriving at 3.55. Certainly shouldn't be a problem; I was worried that they'd hit us with a Gotcha. Thanks for the link to the cutoff times.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
There is absolutely no reason to check in 3 hours early for any airline in the US. AFAIK, all carriers servicing the US insert that language based on DOT recommendations, which aren't for experienced flyers.

Air Berlin actually publishes their check in cut off times at different airports. Some in the US are 60 minutes, others are 90 minutes. At BOS, it is 60 minutes.

https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/checkin.php
Looks like they cleaned up the check-in cutoff time page.

For departures to US/Canada (supposedly starting service to YYZ in 2018), airport check-in begins 3 hours and ends 90 minutes prior to departure.

For departures from US/Canada, airport check-in begins 4 hours and ends 60 minutes prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.