Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Free checked baggage allowance for OWS / OWE on AB

Old Jun 2, 17, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold

Guten Tag!

I have been looking for a conclusive answer to this question for a while now, and I am hoping some fellow FT'ers with first-hand experience can help me (And others who are in the same boat) out here:

According to the privileges listed on the official OneWorld website,

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines;
- On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy baggage allowance.
- On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
[...]
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs).
[...]
UNQUOTE

Maybe it is just me getting too old for the internet, but nowhere on the AB website could I find this information on additional free checked baggage allowance for OWS and OWE being corroborated.

Anecdotal evidence on this question on FT is patchy and inconclusive, as some people seem to have been denied this privilege in the past, yet at least one OWE from AA seems to have been granted it by showing his AA ExecPlat card at the check-in counter.

So what's the deal now?

In principle, AB should have to honour all privileges granted systemwide by the OneWorld Alliance to their Sapphire and Emerald status. Cold reality, as we all know, however, sometimes simply ignores what should be...

I would really appreciate some feedback on this as I need to fly BUD-BER soon and have to decide if I want to book this on AB or not (In business class or economy, have not decided yet).

And one more thing: Please do not hijack this thread by talking about access to XL seats, preferred seats or anything else, this question is about free checked baggage alone and nothing else. Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 3, 17, 5:15 am

Programs: S7 Emerald, LH FTL, UA 1K, AR Platino
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
Guten Tag!

I have been looking for a conclusive answer to this question for a while now, and I am hoping some fellow FT'ers with first-hand experience can help me (And others who are in the same boat) out here:

According to the privileges listed on the official OneWorld website,

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines;
- On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy baggage allowance.
- On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
[...]
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs).
[...]
UNQUOTE

Maybe it is just me getting too old for the internet, but nowhere on the AB website could I find this information on additional free checked baggage allowance for OWS and OWE being corroborated.

Anecdotal evidence on this question on FT is patchy and inconclusive, as some people seem to have been denied this privilege in the past, yet at least one OWE from AA seems to have been granted it by showing his AA ExecPlat card at the check-in counter.

So what's the deal now?

In principle, AB should have to honour all privileges granted systemwide by the OneWorld Alliance to their Sapphire and Emerald status. Cold reality, as we all know, however, sometimes simply ignores what should be...

I would really appreciate some feedback on this as I need to fly BUD-BER soon and have to decide if I want to book this on AB or not (In business class or economy, have not decided yet).

And one more thing: Please do not hijack this thread by talking about access to XL seats, preferred seats or anything else, this question is about free checked baggage alone and nothing else. Thank you in advance!
Hi there,
you should get one additional bag of 23kg if you fly Economy and one additional bag of 32kg if you fly Business Class.

Regarding the question if you should fly J or Y:
donīt waste your money on this so called European Business Class. It is simply not worth it.
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Just a quick update for everyone:

I ended up booking the above flight in business class, not because of the seat, but because it was only EUR40 more expensive than Y and I wanted to have 32kg allowance per checked bag. At check-in in BUD they did not bat an eyelid when I checked three bags; the business class fare alone would have entitled me to 2 x 32kg, and as a OW Sapphire I got the third bag checked free as well.

All in all very smooth and reassuring to know that they stick to the OW rules.

Search this Thread