Go Back   > > >

Old May 17, 17, 4:34 pm   #1
Original Poster

Air Berlin B777?

I am flying AUH-TXL on AB metal in a few days. The seat map shows a B777 equipment with 3-3-3 seating in economy class.

To my knowledge, Air Berlin does not own any other wide bodies except A332. Is this a leased expansion aircraft?

Anybody ever flown on a B777 with AB?
CalFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 17, 5:17 pm   #2

Programs: QFF
Doesn't EY operate this route for AB?
Himeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 17, 5:51 pm   #3

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Your flight would most likely be operated by 'Privilege Style' on their 777 EC-MIA:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ec-mia

I've only seen their C cabin and it's like the old Asiana (iirc the plane came from Asiana) or Sri Lankan.

You can try to rebook (for free) due to the equipment change. Folks on the German Vielfliegertreff (VFT) reported success in that case.

AB has a pretty bad track record over the last months when it comes to punctuality, equipment changes and cancellations due to financial problems, service provider changes (e.g. at TXL) and shortage of staff.
El_Duderito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 17, 12:35 am   #4
Original Poster

Spot on, El_Duderito.

The Privilege style charter plane has been serving the route AUH-TXL for Air Berlin for the last few days.

Has anybody ever flown them in economy class?
Old Jun 1, 17, 9:54 am   #5

AUH-TXL on Privilege 777

Just flew AUH-TXL on Privilege 777 last weekend. At first it was a bit of a disaster as no notification was sent and the check-in people told me that my original seat booking had been reallocated due to the equipment change. Then it turned out that the aircraft (as stated above, a 15-year old Asiana 777-200) was parked about as far from terminal as possible in AUH, necessitating a 10 minute bus ride at around 2:30 am (with lots of crazies sharing the road).

The good news is that the seats on the Privilege 777 are actually a lot more generous than the usual AB seats. Also, as this seems to be a wet lease arrangement, the crew is from Spain and, in my case, they were fantastic. A lot more attention to detail than is usual these days, plus they came around several times with drinks etc.

As for TXL, people who fly there often will confirm that the airport is a disaster. The aircraft will park at "Terminal" C (more of an old warehouse which has become a make-shift terminal) and you will be bused all the way around the perimeter to Terminal A, where a very long passport queue awaits. You then end up at the baggage carrousel or, if you are connecting, you must walk all the way though Terminal A, past all the shops etc, out the door, down s flight of steps, along a long corridor, until you are finally back at the aforementioned warehouse-type structure, which is Terminal C.
flyercity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 17, 4:50 am   #6
Original Poster

Pascan Aviation Inc?

Thank you for the previous insights on Privilege Air, quite helpful.

I am booked for AUH-TXL this weekend, and this time my booking confirmation says:

*Operated By: Pascan Aviation Inc For Air Berlin

If you google Pascan Aviation a Canadian regional carrier comes up that does not even show a B777 in their ownership.

Anybody with experience?

CalFlyer
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:48 am   #7

Sounds like a mismatch between IATA airline code designator and airline name, as Pascan Aviation seems to have used "P6" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascan_Aviation), which is now being used by Privilege Style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_Style). Your flight will be operated by the latter, with the EC-MIA registered B777-200 (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ec-mia).
ZKOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 10:51 am   #8

Flying With Privilege Style instead Airberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercity View Post
Just flew AUH-TXL on Privilege 777 last weekend. At first it was a bit of a disaster as no notification was sent and the check-in people told me that my original seat booking had been reallocated due to the equipment change. Then it turned out that the aircraft (as stated above, a 15-year old Asiana 777-200) was parked about as far from terminal as possible in AUH, necessitating a 10 minute bus ride at around 2:30 am (with lots of crazies sharing the road).
Today morning the same, scheduled as "Airberlin operated by Virgin Australia" was operated by Privilege Style. Other equipment 777 (EC-MIA) vs. 330-200, which leads to no problems, at least for me (travelling with four persons). Delayed takeoff, nearly 55 min.

Quote:
The good news is that the seats on the Privilege 777 are actually a lot more generous than the usual AB seats. Also, as this seems to be a wet lease arrangement, the crew is from Spain and, in my case, they were fantastic. A lot more attention to detail than is usual these days, plus they came around several times with drinks etc.
Right, service team was really engaged - and attractive! But, the aircraft itself has its best days behind it. Flight Entertainment didn't work for most of the passengers. No flight map, actual position etc.

Quote:
As for TXL, people who fly there often will confirm that the airport is a disaster. The aircraft will park at "Terminal" C (more of an old warehouse which has become a make-shift terminal) and you will be bused all the way around the perimeter to Terminal A, where a very long passport queue awaits. You then end up at the baggage carrousel or, if you are connecting, you must walk all the way though Terminal A, past all the shops etc, out the door, down s flight of steps, along a long corridor, until you are finally back at the aforementioned warehouse-type structure, which is Terminal C.
Similiar, good described ;-). It took us an nearly hour to get our bags :-(.

For me it looks as if Airberlin wants to be healed with all his ight. Good Luck!
FlyingMouse is offline   Reply With Quote