Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa is interested in taking over airberlin

Lufthansa is interested in taking over airberlin

Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Clear statement yesterday that LH doesn't want to take over AB, but is open to expanding the ACMI deal it already has for 38 A320.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN19F0RK
Given insolvency and the likely closing down of AB, the wet lease model will no longer work. LH (or more likely a lower cost subsidiary ;-) will, should they want to continue to use AB planes and crews, actually have to purchase assets and issue employment contracts. Given that such a move would occur during insolvency, LH would not want to assume any liabilities of AB (hence asset purchase) and the assets may be with a third party (e.g., leasing company) this may take a while.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

The actual scenario only makes sense if there will be a take over of AB (or the bigger part of it) by LH.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
German newspapers are reporting that LH seems to negotiate with the leasing companies reagarding leasing/buying the AB planes. AB Crew shall then be hired on EW terms and conditions.

Other parts of AB could be taken by U2.

But currently, this is nothing more than (well informed) rumors.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Earlier this year LH already renegotiated and reassigned the leases of 15 from the 38 aircraft that AB wetleased to EW. The leasing companies knew of the financial troubles behind AB and wanted a better deal. When EY put in 250 million in February, that activity reduced again. LH is probably waiting for the lessors to get cold feet and then makes a deal.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Earlier this year LH already renegotiated and reassigned the leases of 15 from the 38 aircraft that AB wetleased to EW. The leasing companies knew of the financial troubles behind AB and wanted a better deal. When EY put in 250 million in February, that activity reduced again. LH is probably waiting for the lessors to get cold feet and then makes a deal.
Yep, LH obviously sees the opportunity for a deal, i.e., getting a better terms than under the existing leases because the leasing companies otherwise run the risk of having to find new customers for the planes... ...LH must be laughing all the way to the bank...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I doubt LH is super happy about the current situation. So far AB was a competitor they knew and could keep at bay. FR and DY are a different animal. AB going away makes room for them. Repurposing AB's assets for EW isn't going to solve the FR/DY threat.
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do we have thread somewhere about speculation along the lines of which routes might end up with whom? The only longhaul route AB had that I used was to RSW, as we have a vacation place nearby. I'd love to see that going to LH but I suspect if they keep it it'll end up with EW (so no thank you).
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:10 am

MUC-RSW was already announced by EW some time ago, it starts Summer 2018.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Irish Independent
While O'Brien was pulling Ryanair's punches away from the DAA, it has a new target in its sights - Germany - and the airline is still seething over what it sees as a 'stitch up' over the future of insolvent Air Berlin's assets. Jacobs doesn't see why Irish passengers, and others, have to frequently connect with large cities via Lufthansa's two chosen gateways: "Why do I have to fly through Frankfurt or Munich to get to anywhere?" he asked. "You have a city like Berlin, with two airports with 33 million capacity between those two airports, which is going to one airport - whenever that opens - which will have 27 million capacity. And the mayor of that city thinks that's a great thing and that Ryanair shouldn't have an opinion on this."

<snip>

Meanwhile Jacobs added, in a bout of realpolitik: "We're giving Germany a hard time today, but at some in point in time do we want to be feeding the long-haul operations of Lufthansa? Absolutely. And every other airline in Europe."

Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:28 am

I guess nobody is stopping Ryanair to fly to anywhere in the world from Berlin (TXL, SXF or BER in 2019) even today...?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I guess nobody is stopping Ryanair to fly to anywhere in the world from Berlin (TXL, SXF or BER in 2019) even today...?
Anywhere within the EU at least. Other places might have these pesky bilateral agreements.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:16 pm

An Irish carrier can fly to the US thanks to the US-EU open skies... DY is busy doing that from FRs home market
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:47 pm

What is stopping or at least limiting Ryanair and other carriers (don't know whether this is true specifically for Berlin, it surely is for TXL and other airports like DUS) is the scarcity of slots. And that's the sole reason someone takes an interest in AB because they do have a huge number of slots there.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:45 am

Again, if AB goes away, the FluKo can assign the slots to whoever wants them. There are some criteria for that, and new entrants have a preference in that scheme (4.3. in the attachment). There is no trading scheme for slots at German airports. Even if LH buys all of AB's operations to merge with EW they will file applications for new slots under EW's name (see clause 4.7 in the attachment).

LH has given up quite a few slots in DUS/TXL in the past years and new entrants had no problems getting new ones.

http://www.fhkd-speicher.org/regulation-guidelines/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Guideline.pdf (36.7 KB, 213 views)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:13 pm

My understanding is that if you acquire an operating part of AB which has slots assigned to it you also keep the slots (assuming AB has managed to retain the rights, i.e. has served a given slot by at least 80% in the previous year's season).
That's the sole reason for any interest in parts of AB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.