FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Will AB interline checked baggage with CX (2 separate PNRs) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1837610-will-ab-interline-checked-baggage-cx-2-separate-pnrs.html)

rienhart87 Apr 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Will AB interline checked baggage with CX (2 separate PNRs)

Hello guys,

I am a newbie in AB forum. In fact, it will be my first time flying with airberlin :)

I made two separate bookings (two PNRs). First one is TXL-DUS (AB6431) and the second PNR is DUS-HKG with Cathay Pacific.

I have two questions regarding my itinerary:
1. Will AB interline my checked-baggage with these two separate PNRs? I know that Cathay will interline but I am not sure how AB implements OW checked-baggage rule.

2. I guess the second question is related to the first question, will AB check me in for the second leg with CX? If AB can do that, when I transfer in DUS, do I need to clear immigration since I will be moving from schengen to non-schengen? If AB can't check me in, that means I need to go to arrival and then go back to departure and perform check-in again at CX's counter, right?

Looking forward to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance!

MultiFlyer Apr 19, 2017 1:18 am

Oneworld has eliminated the benefit of checking through luggage on seperate tickets last year.

But recently some airlines have relaxed this strict new rule.

So it may be possible that AB will check it through. Have you already contacted AB?

Do you mean with immigration the passport inspection?
If so, than yes you will have it when crossing the schengen border.

rienhart87 Apr 19, 2017 1:37 am

Hi MultiFlyer, thanks for your response.

Yes I am aware about that interline checked baggage rule that was introduced by OW last year. However, Cathay has decided not to follow this rule and it will interline even when pax is booked on separate PNRs as long as the airlines involved are still OW airlines or non-OW airlines that have interline agreement with CX. However, I am doubtful whether AB will do the same or not. I have sent an email to airberlin but it's been a few days and i still haven't received any reply from them.

waffle Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am

You will have to clear passport control upon leaving the Schengen area in DUS, but you would need to do that even if you had booked it all on one ticket. On the upside, there is of course no passport control nor customs on the domestic TXL–DUS leg.

As for checking in, it doesn't hurt to ask, but I don't think they'll be able to. I've never flown with Cathay, can't you check in online?

txlflyer Apr 21, 2017 12:55 am

I have very good experiences with AirBerlin checking luggage through on other airlines. I had several times two different tickets, the first on AB, the second on LH and every time AB interlined with no problem. In my experience a friendly attitude goes a long way, even with AB :)

rienhart87 Apr 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks txlflyer and waffle for your responds. I will give my luck a shot :)