Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB to introduce Business Class on European flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black

source: http://www.airberlingroup.com/en/pre...opean-services
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I really am not sure this is going to be a good idea. I find their concept of offering basic catering plus the possibility to buy more rather good and rather successful. Now, of course, that basic catering offer is going to get carried off with the wind and the offering will be completely BOB, no free drink, no free snack. So, certainly a classic 'enhancement'

What I find odd is the fact that business class has been going through a major decline on European flights now, to the point where I thought it was going to disappear altogether. But it seems that Alitalia has recently improved their offering, so perhaps Etihad is behind all of this.

I do feel, however, that they should offer more catering on longer European flights (such as to the Canaries), or at least a properly catered BOB trolley, not one that runs out of food by row 3 already.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It appears to be in particular a downgrade of status benefits (row 1) and of catering on domestic and intra European flights. They ask me for double or three times the fare for the same service I currently receive for my cheap Eco ticket as a Platinum member
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:02 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So it is the first row only? Maximum 4 seats (assuming the middles will be left empty)?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
So it is the first row only? Maximum 4 seats (assuming the middles will be left empty)?
This is the current concept. To my belief the main reason is that they sell C Class on their AUH or US bound flights with feeders in Eco. This does not sell too good.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:37 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Major surprise!

And what a strange concept - only row 1 for biz...?

Row 1 is the row I try to avoid like the plague. No handluggage stowage so for takeoff and landing you have to stow your laptop and jacket in the overhead bin and the bin above your seat is not available for stowage because of equipment and staff luggage. Also no regular tray table and a smaller seat without flexible armrest.

Let's wait how the pricing is for biz fares...
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have a feeling it's not going to help their financial situation one jot, although I am ignorant as to how the whole thing will work. One single row of business class seems absurd. They would be better to make two rows and make them decent business seats. But I will miss the free snack and drink in economy.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It appears to be in particular a downgrade of status benefits (row 1) and of catering on domestic and intra European flights. They ask me for double or three times the fare for the same service I currently receive for my cheap Eco ticket as a Platinum member
+1
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Oh they must be in a real mess, they're trying anything now. (almost as drastic as the BTS-VIE route!)

I really don't think this will help them very much. In the past I've always chosen NIKI over Iberia because the service was rather good for economy, but now I'll probably choose IB if the timings are better.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Interesting.

The concept is very similar to SAS+ on european routes. This is certainly good news for me as a BA Gold. I can now use AB for topping up my TP-level. Also, I can actually fly AB as I don't fly economy if I can avoid it.

Now, will that mean a nice lounge at Tegel? The ARN lounge at Terminal 2 is not that bad but often crowded.

Any news when the new Berlin airport will open?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Row 1 is the row I try to avoid like the plague. No handluggage stowage so for takeoff and landing you have to stow your laptop and jacket in the overhead bin and the bin above your seat is not available for stowage because of equipment and staff luggage. Also no regular tray table and a smaller seat without flexible armrest.
+1 - Hate Row No 1...

Let's wait until they intro the movable shade...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Now, will that mean a nice lounge at Tegel?
Depends on your definition of nice. You can use the BA or the AF lounge at TXL.

Any news when the new Berlin airport will open?
Probably never.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Its strange though that AB limits "business class" to row 1, why?

If people want to pay 3x for a blocked middle seat and free drinks why not increase the rows on demand?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Its strange though that AB limits "business class" to row 1, why?

If people want to pay 3x for a blocked middle seat and free drinks why not increase the rows on demand?
I agree. This seems kind of silly. They should make the first 3 or 4 rows in the cabin "J capable" seats. And allocate how many rows to use for J seating on the day of departure. Or 24 hours out.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This is a move to complement the hub concept EY is forcing onto AB: offer C seating for pax who have booked C longhaul from TXL or DUS on AB or EY.

... and sneak in a cut in service for the rest of the pax. Nearly no one will book the C seats stand alone and 99% of the public is annoyed they loose the minimal catering offered previously on regional Y. 🙅

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.