FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   AirBerlin Carry on Baggage Policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1821840-airberlin-carry-baggage-policy.html)

homerjsimpso Feb 13, 2017 10:27 am

AirBerlin Carry on Baggage Policy

Hey all,

I have an AirBerlin flight tomorrow for which I have an economy light ticket booked (1 carry on only) but I have a garment bag, and a carry on suitcase. The suitcase fits on the dimensions, but I'm wondering how AB will treat the garment bag?

Based on their rules:

Carry-On Baggage

On each flight, you can take one item of hand baggage into the cabin, which may weigh up to 8 kg. The dimensions may not exceed 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm. Please check the size of your hand baggage in the racks provided at check-in.

In addition one of the following items (max. 40 cm x 30 cm x 10 cm; 2 kg) may be taken into the cabin free of charge:

a laptop case
a lady’s handbag, a lady’s purse or a gentlemen’s handbagAdditional hand baggage

So the policy doesn't say anything specifically about garment bags which leads me to believe they'll treat it as any other piece of luggage. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Cheers,
Homer

alanR Feb 13, 2017 11:01 am

Do the bags meet the size & weight requirements, if not then one or more will become checked luggage at whatever they charge for last minute checked luggage

homerjsimpso Feb 13, 2017 11:08 am

2 bags by definition are not 1, i realize that much :-) just wondering if anyone had experience bringing on that 'additional item' with airberlin that non budget airlines factor into their baggage policy.

elexianyx Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Garment bags.....what I would do is just to tell them it's my coat.

EmailKid Feb 18, 2017 8:39 am

A little late, but air Berlin has its own forum.

Moving from Budget Travel.

~moderator

SK2751 Feb 23, 2017 10:42 am

This varies a lot. I experience prosecution, and have seen people prosecuted, in TXL. But not so much in outstations abroad. I often take the risk of having two pieces, and (almost) never had been stopped. However I know that I have luggage allowance on my tickets, and I am packed so that one item can be checked in if they insist so.

seawolf Mar 1, 2017 1:21 pm

Really depends on station/agent. Some agents enforce the 8kg cabin baggage limit. Others don't.

Sometimes I have to resort to the following if I'm not checking bags:
  1. At hotel, pack my cabin baggage so it is 8kg or less. The excess items I put in a laundry bag.
  2. Park rental car in short-term, check-in with 8kg bag, obtain orange Approved Carry-on tag.
  3. Go back to rental car and place contents of laundry bag into carry-on.
  4. Return car.
  5. Board flight. Long-haul gate agent usually will not harass you if they see you have already checked-in in person, had travel document verified and see Approved Carry-on tag. If they see print-at-home or mobile BP, they may ask to verify travel document and at the same time weight your bag.