Denied Access to Hugo Junkers lounge in DUS

Old Feb 9, 17, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Denied Access to Hugo Junkers lounge in DUS

Partner and I are non-status. We travelled on a CX business class award booking HKG-DUS-CPH two weeks ago. HKG-DUS on CX J and then DUS-CPH AB Y.

We were granted the correct amount of baggage allowance but denied access to Hugo Junkers when we transited in DUS.

According to OW lounge access policy, it seems our lounge access should be governed by the travelling class of our incoming long haul Intl segment.

I explained to the agent but she insisted.

Did I request something I'm not eligible or just an unfortunate encounter with an inexperienced agent?

Last edited by lewisyu; Feb 9, 17 at 8:13 pm
Old Feb 10, 17, 1:48 am

The Hugo Junkers lounge is not a oneworld lounge, but a contract lounge. In this case it depends on individual arrangements between airline and lounge operator. My guess is they do not have an agreement with CX and based on AB criteria you are ineligible (Y class, no status).
Old Feb 10, 17, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
As has been stated, the Hugo Junkers lounge is not a oneworld lounge.

AB does have a contract with that lounge, but travelling in economy on AB does not get you into the Hugo Junkers lounge.

At DUS, Cathay Pacific has a contract with Lufthansa for access to the Lufthansa lounges - but only for departing passengers on CX flights.
Old Feb 10, 17, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks ZKOKA and irishguy28!

In fact, I was not persistence with the agent since I don't really expect anything except a glass of juice or water from the Hugo Junkers.

But it comes to an interesting point. With both Hugo Junkers (AB contracted) and Lufthansa (CX contracted) will deny my access, it means that it is impossible for me to enjoy the lounge access eligibility as described in OW Lounge Access policy (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access).

----

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Feb 10, 17, 2:27 am
Original Poster

I raise the above question mainly because I will have similar trip with AB again in April. This time HKG-ZRH on CX F and then transit with AB Y ZRH-TXL. Should I expect another access denial at the ZRH Aspire lounge?
Old Feb 10, 17, 2:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Which agent denied you, at the lounge, or AB agent at the transfer/check in desk?
Old Feb 10, 17, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewisyu View Post
But it comes to an interesting point. With both Hugo Junkers (AB contracted) and Lufthansa (CX contracted) will deny my access, it means that it is impossible for me to enjoy the lounge access eligibility as described in OW Lounge Access policy (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access).
oneworld lounge access policies apply only to oneworld lounges.

Although I am sure they would love to do so, oneworld and its partners cannot create a oneworld lounge at every terminal/airport from which its member airlines fly.

As stated above, there is no oneworld lounge available to Schengen passengers at DUS. (Type "DUS" into the search box here: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access)
Old Feb 10, 17, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Which agent denied you, at the lounge, or AB agent at the transfer/check in desk?
The lounge reception staff.
Old Feb 10, 17, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
oneworld lounge access policies apply only to oneworld lounges.

Although I am sure they would love to do so, oneworld and its partners cannot create a oneworld lounge at every terminal/airport from which its member airlines fly.

As stated above, there is no oneworld lounge available to Schengen passengers at DUS. (Type "DUS" into the search box here: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access)
Thanks for clarifying.

In ZRH case, I am connecting CX(F) LH to AB(Y) Inter-Europe. Aspire lounge in ZRH serves both of two airlines. Does it mean I have access to it? Or it is still not possible because it's also a contracted lounge?
Old Feb 10, 17, 5:06 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by lewisyu View Post
The lounge reception staff.
You can't expect a contract lounge to be on top of every onbscure rule like this. The thing to do would be to approach an AB agent, reference the rule and request a lounge voucher
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:36 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
The Aspire lounge is clearly a contract lounge (Aspire is a large provider of contract lounges in Europe). I recommend inquiring with CX whether they provide lounge on arrival, and which lounge you should use.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't expect a contract lounge to be on top of every onbscure rule like this. The thing to do would be to approach an AB agent, reference the rule and request a lounge voucher
There is no obscure rule here, and the OP wasn't entitled to lounge access or a voucher.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Exactly, that why I didn't play persistence.

May be I will try to ask AB transfer desk in my next trip at ZRH.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wazow View Post
The Aspire lounge is clearly a contract lounge (Aspire is a large provider of contract lounges in Europe). I recommend inquiring with CX whether they provide lounge on arrival, and which lounge you should use.
CX clearly doesn't have arrival lounge in ZRH. Let me try my luck next trip and report back.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Completely agree OP was not entitled to lounge access as Hugo Junkers is not OW lounge. No access for lewisyu in ZRH either.

Search this Thread