Air Berlin Service/Fees

Old Jan 17, 17, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Air Berlin Service/Fees

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I was looking to pick AB travel experts opinion on the airline and on the options for awards.

I am looking to understand if AB is a full service airline or the Southwest/Sunjet/RyanAir/whatever your local equivalent is. I have found some info that seems to imply full service with multiple classes on overseas legs, however bargain brand with limited # of "comfort seats" but no real class sections and possible additional fees on intra-Europe legs. If there are any tips to booking awards with them, interested in that too. Sounds like from other threads, that may be limited right now

I am looking to fly with my wife NYC to BUD and PRG to NYC toward the end of June. AA partner award availability comes up with mainly BA, with a couple of trips or legs in itineraries serviced by AB. However with BA fees/taxes, it isn't worth spending the miles for Business class for me.

I am now looking at cash ticketing for just coach, and AB comes up with the best times/connections/flight duration. So I am trying to decide if I should just book through them.

No AA status I am worrying about transferring over.

Thanks folks!
Old Jan 18, 17, 12:17 am

I hope you are aware that most inter european flights have no real class sections. (like LH, LX, ...) Only a free sight in the middle.

Besides that AB is a "normal" airline.

At the moment there is a massive restructuring ongoing and the new flight schedule is not fully loaded in the systems. So beware what you book.

You can see the new routes here (unfortunately only in German): https://flights.airberlin.com/de-DE/die-neue-airberlin
Old Jan 30, 17, 11:34 pm

AB is a sort of full service carrier on long-haul flights i.e. in your case transatlantic but you have to pay for seat reservations in Economy and there also might be extra charges for other services but you have your bags and meal included for example.

Intra-European they have one row (4-6 seats) of business class and the rest is all-Economy. On these flights all catering, seating and several other amenities are at extra cost while I believe when booking in connection with an intercont flight (same booking, one through-fare) you have luggage included as well.

Other than that they offer a pretty normal Economy product with seat pitch like many others, IFE, basic food and I would say professional crew.

Changing planes in DUS is quite comfortable, in TXL it is a mess due to the old airport but it generally works.

Search this Thread