FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Paying via Paypal not free anymore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1814893-paying-via-paypal-not-free-anymore.html)

spanishflyer Jan 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Paying via Paypal not free anymore

I have realised airberlin is charging now 10 eur to pay with Paypal. They have added SOFORT without extra charge but I donīt know it.

MultiFlyer Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Actually that was introduced end of november ...

Concerto Jan 13, 2017 1:01 am

I noticed this a while back but had gone off paying with PayPal because your credit card payment would not be protected in the case of bankruptcy. But all these little changes are introduced by stealth and with no warnings.

MultiFlyer Jan 13, 2017 1:36 am

Yes that's absolutely true.
But when you look what is happening now with HG and AB it is clear why they don't really care.

ralfkrippner Jan 13, 2017 4:34 am

This is very unfortunate. When you're booking a flight online you pretty much can only pay by CC or paypal and charging a customer extra for this is just unfair. It effectually raises the fare by 10 EUR.

IMO paying by the airlines designated CC has to be free and fees for other payments have at least to be capped at a realistic cost level, like 1% of the fare...

Gus2013 Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am

I have not purchased a flight through the website for a while, but it was indeed previously so that if paying with AB Visa there was no extra charge.

Not that I agree or like this charge, but it was also introduced by LH and even by Deutsche Bahn in recent years.

Concerto Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

Better to pay with a normal credit card despite the fee, in case they go belly up and turn your ticket into a three dollar bill. At least you'll get some protection for what you paid that way.

SK2751 Jan 15, 2017 7:31 am

Concerto, agreed. But airline fees for CC payment should not be unrealistic. I have no idea how they get away with that. They often exceed 10% of the transaction value.

seawolf Jan 16, 2017 12:10 pm

I wold just book thru online travel agencies if possible to avoid the fee (at least this works for US-based agencies).

Gus2013 Jan 19, 2017 11:19 am

With the German travel agency we use at work, the CC charge is passed on (by LH, AB, or any other airline that charges it).

Jasper2009 Jan 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by wazow (Post 27764185)
Concerto, agreed. But airline fees for CC payment should not be unrealistic. I have no idea how they get away with that. They often exceed 10% of the transaction value.

Agreed - the CC fees are even more ridiculous now that the EU has drastically capped CC merchant fees.