FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   AB Lost Luggage Compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1812729-ab-lost-luggage-compensation.html)

William13 Jan 4, 2017 6:34 am

AB Lost Luggage Compensation

Hello,

the Frau and I flew LAX-DUS on 31.Dec (upgraded into Business using a pair of Platinum vouchers) and upon arrival at DUS the next day found one of our bags missing. Filed the usual PIR and am still waiting - "TRACING CONTINUES: LEAVE US ALONE".

Fearing the worst I am thinking about the baggage compensation claim. Has anyone experience with AB in this regard. Given their usual attempts to weasel out of their EU261 obligations I want to have my ducks in a row if it becomes necessary to file the claim.

Happy New Year from AirBerlin!

thanks,
William

SK2751 Jan 4, 2017 6:54 am

Seems to me that it is too early to panic yet.

William13 Jan 4, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks wazow,

However, with AirBerlin - it's never TOO early to panic ;-)

That being said, Worldtracer now shows it as "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED", so perhaps the bag may show up after all...

cheers,
William

AlienInTheFatherland Jan 4, 2017 12:50 pm

You'll probably find the luggage turns up in the next few days. Bit of a permutation of complications in your case, from what I can see, all of which are exacerbated by the time of year and weather factors.

If it's any comfort to you, I once waited 9 days for a piece of luggage that failed to turn up from a FRA-TXL flight, and, while I only wanted it to my Berlin address, it did eventually turn up!

jaymar01 Jan 5, 2017 5:13 pm

If they return your luggage, you'll get nothing outside of reimbursement for any incidentals you purchased.

I had to write to the President of Air Berlin USA to get Customer Service to even acknowledge my lost baggage claim.

KLflyerRalph Jan 6, 2017 1:40 am

How is airBerlin with handling damaged luggage? I have been told to directly contact a third party partner (Dolfi1920) which would assess my claim and maybe repair.

jaymar01 Jan 6, 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 27713361)
How is airBerlin with handling damaged luggage? I have been told to directly contact a third party partner (Dolfi1920) which would assess my claim and maybe repair.

I worked with both Air Berlin and Dolfi on my damaged luggage. Air Berlin offered virtually nothing.....just a very highly depreciated residual value on my bag.

Dolfi was a little bit better, although they never seemed remotely interested in repairing my bag. Only paying off the claim.

Dolfi has a deal with ebags.com, and they offered me a couple of bags as a replacement. That's probably going to be your best bet, unless your credit card company has travel coverage. Many will offer you replacement value on your luggage.

William13 Jan 10, 2017 3:31 am

Hi, just to follow up, the luggage did find its way home and was no worse for the wear - though it had obviously been rummaged through by TSA and German customs. I did end up spending €11 on incidentals before it arrived and will be interested if AB pays up.

Yes, my last AB lost and damaged bag (in Oktober) was processed by Dolfi, who offered me the residual value. Actually a bit less than the value as judged by my luggage dealer. Of course, I have my preferences in luggage and won't buy any bag so i'll end up paying to replace it.

Didn't think of the credit card coverage at the time - but will keep it in mind for the inevitable next time. Of course, I usually book AB flights with an AB credit card and they've probably already written an escape clause somewhere in the small print ;-)

William13 Jan 23, 2017 6:37 am

AB did in fact responde to my €11 claim. Not by paying me but by providing a €100 flight voucher (good for a year). I decided to take it as I am sure I can use it sometime and the personal items which I purchased for €11 I would have purchased eventually anyway.

I guess I just have to hope that AB doesn't disappear before I use the voucher ;-)