Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Leave terminal and recheck in DUS after int'l flight?

Old Nov 20, 16, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

First off, if this isn't the correct place for this question, I would appreciate direction on where to ask.

Second, my question -- I have booked an itinerary on airberlin through American Airlines from LAX to TXL, with a layover in DUS. Since the first leg is international and second is domestic, I'm curious whether I'll have to retrieve my checked luggage, leave the international terminal, and go to another terminal and recheck and go through security again. If this is the case, will I have to pay airberlin to recheck bags. I'm guessing they'll be tagged as checked all the way through to the final destination (TXL).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old Nov 22, 16, 2:01 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
Hi Matthew,

if this is on one ticket there's no need to retrieve bags in DUS or recheck them. You'll have to clear immigration in DUS and your bag may be inspected by customs in TXL (I would'nt normally expect customs personnel to be even present in TXL at your arrival gate).

If your itinerary is on two tickets it'll depend on your checkin agent willing to check bags through to TXL.
Old Nov 22, 16, 2:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
In the EU you clear customs at your final destination, even if you take a domestic flight

Search this Thread